report on your csspecs 308 mags

Hey Zambidis,

Very thorough discussion there, thankfully without so much of the name calling diversionary BS the subject seems to include.

....uh, you do have a Will and all your papers in order dont you?exciting.gif

Cheers,

Harv

Well he hasn't yet challenged me to a shootout in the jungles of Colombia like he did someone who disagreed with him on his own forum, so I still have time to get it in order.

I would have thought I'd be fine because he is such a devout Christian but the above came after his supposed rebirth.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I visit the WT forum and I see that the owner still does not seem to understand the process involved. Their discontinuation of their vepr line is likely due to 'delays' caused by a lack of understanding, that the lead times on new components can almost never be estimated.

That seems now to have been a case of throwing a tantrum in order to get the Russians to cut him a better deal on the rifles.

• 7 months later...

I for one absolutely love my csspecs 308 mags. I am not a fan of polymer mags, just because polymers (even fiber reinforced ones) fatigue much faster than steel. That means that polymers are far more likely to crack, chip, and fail just through normal use.

For me, the higher performance of steel material is worth the extra weight.

The only changes I would suggest to the cssspecs mags would be that they incorporate a series of drilled holes as indicators for how many rounds are in the mag. My S&W M&P handgun magazine has drilled holes and stamped numbers so you can see the metal casings against the black. Its a great way to keep track of how many bullets are left in the mag.

I've actually considered drilling small holes in mine myself to give me a marker, css if you decide to add this feature in future production runs, could you please post a layout showing where holes should be drilled so past purchasers can modify our mags accordingly?

• Like 1
I've actually considered drilling small holes in mine myself to give me a marker, css if you decide to add this feature in future production runs, could you please post a layout showing where holes should be drilled so past purchasers can modify our mags accordingly?

load in a number of rounds you want to measure by, say every 5. use a ruler to measure the length from the base of the mag until you hit the bottom of the round in the mag. Mark that length on a paper and add 1/8-1/4" from there, label that "5 rounds". Continue to do this until you get to 20 rounds. Take all the measurements you have on your paper, and mark them on your mag. Use a small punch to dent your drill spots and drill each hole (without rounds in it), there ya go. Id recommend adding the 1/4" to each measurement because that will put you right on the primer, but it works as long as its within 1/8-1/4"

• 1 month later...

I just received a few csspec .308 mags last week.

First Off let me say I Have Not Shot With Them Yet.

That being said, I am totally impressed with the fit and finish of the mags. Since I envision csspec as a Mom and Pop shop, I was totally unprepared for the quality when I got my order. First off I have never received a mag order as well packaged as these were. I have ordered and received hundreds of magazines over the years. this was a real deal maker.The fit or lock up in my converted 16" rifle is perfect. After reading several less than glowing reports on the mags, I was shocked that the finish was egual to or better than any other battle rifle mag I own.

Hopefully I will be able to trial by fire the mags this comming weekend and report back.

• 1 month later...

This is good stuff. I've been lurking following the Gabe Suarez saga for a while. Dramatic.

As for the CSS .308 mags I own 3 of them only by the fact that they are pricey ... but man they are good. As someone who has tried every magazine offering for the Saiga .308 the CSS mags are the only ones that I feel fit with the AK tradition ... they are heavy, solid and reliable. I routinely use them for drills where they are dropped onto the ground or banged around and have had zero issues with them. Some people complain the angle for the catch where the magazine locks into the mag release is too steep but I think you want this thing to be beefy steel like it is so I didn't find this to be the case. I used a dremel and took a couple milimeters off the top off my mag release and these things lock in solid with no play and are the only magazines that have zero reliability issues that I have experienced.

In terms of Gabe might understand: They are "good to go".

Plus they are made by a fellow American who personally responds to emails (sometimes, I understand he is busy) and firearms enthusiast right here in Florida. If you can't support that I don't know what you can support. I will be picking up more soon ... and on the bright side since the magazines were already on the pricey side their price has remained steady during all this craziness. Give me a $50 CSS steel mag over a $50 price gouged PMAG any day.

Please make the Saiga 12 steel mags Mike!