Will a vented gas tube work on a 223?

I recently ordered a non vented gas tube from CSS as I've read there the easiest to fit. Sadly I received the vented tube. After emailing them i was told that the reason they sent me the wrong one was they were out of stock of the one I ordered for a couple of months and that this one would work fine.

So before I open the package and start filling away will this tube even work or should I send it back and wait months?

Edited by hellraiser

I recently ordered a non vented gas tube from CSS as I've read there the easiest to fit. Sadly I received the vented tube. After emailing them i was told that the reason they sent me the wrong one was they were out of stock of the one I ordered for a couple of months and that this one would work fine.

So before I open the package and start filling away will this tube even work or should I send it back and wait months?

Jim is correct, the vented tube will work just as well as the non vented one. Either will probably require a little filing/checking/filing to get the locking lever to close. I prefer the looks of the vented one myself but that's purely a matter of preference.

A word of caution though. The locking lever can be a bit stiff when you're closing it for test fitting and fool you into thinking you have to file more than you really need to. I would use a pair of pliers or the tool kit tube to close the lever rather than your fingers (still don't use excessive force) to make sure the dimple on the lever does't make you think it needs more filing when it actually doesn't. Just don't ask me how I know this.

• Like 3

imo I would send it back it was not what you ordered and look at APEX

To be honest that's how I felt at first. Then they tell me that they will be out for "months".

Basically they left me in a position where I either waste my money and buy somewhere else or deal with it.

Looks like I can't at least make it work.

Thanks guys as always!!!

All the pressure felt on the piston happens when the AK piston is in the gas block. You could literally fire an AK with out the tube but the piston would not make it back to the bas block without the tube. You will be fine with a vented tube.

• Like 1

Think of it this way: the more vent holes you have, the more bleed off and less pressure you have. Less long term damage will be caused to your rifle by the bolt not slamming so violently against your rear trunnion.

Just sayin...

As others have stated, it doesn't change the effective pressure of the gas system. If you look at even a non-vented gas tube, there is a ton of clearance all around the gas piston, as gas will escape backwards through the stamped ribbing. The gas tube is not a pressure channel. The vented tubes were used on early AK-47s that did not have ported/vented gas blocks. The goal is to vent as much gas/carbon before it is blasted backwards towards into the receiver, or the shooter's face - there will certainly be enough blowby of the gas to do this if it's not vented immediately after the piston evacuates the area of the gas block.

That being said, the AK-74 gas tube is really the best to use, for the simple fact that it has a tensioning spring. This makes it much easier to fit to the rifle without having to worry about loose tolerances causing it to rattle - the spring will take care of that.

• Like 2

Hey thanks again guys! Took my sweet time with a dremel and it fit fine. Have to wait for the next range day for a function test. I'm sure it will be fine though. The look is growing on me too.

Still kind think CSS could have handled it different. But as long as it works I'm cool with it.

Hey thanks again guys! Took my sweet time with a dremel and it fit fine. Have to wait for the next range day for a function test. I'm sure it will be fine though. The look is growing on me too.

Still kind think CSS could have handled it different. But as long as it works I'm cool with it.

Glad you're happy with it. I like the vented tubes mainly because they add a little more detail to the weapon.

You got a better part, so to speak... I always ordered the VENTED tubes when I could get them, because I like the look better and the fact they help to bleed off some of the gasses. They fit and function the same as non vented... just look cooler... :up:

Be happy... Its all good!!!

:smoke: