Went to Buy a Drum

Some are, some aren't... ProMag definitely has a rocky reputation.

It really depends on which particular product your buying, some really suck balls.

Some are maligned by people who've never tried them, but think that all ProMag products suck balls.

One thing that ProMag has going is their warranty, few can refute that.

The ProMag S12 box mags have a pretty bad rep.

From what I have read on here, it is deserved.

The ProMag S12 drums have some very good reviews from users here.

I think there have been a few problems, but who doesn't have some?

IIRC, most have been minor and fixable.

I don't have their S12 drums, but I've their 30rd Springfield Armory XD magazine(s).

It has functioned 100% so far, i.e. 300+ rounds

I also have the promag 20 rounder, probably have around 1000 rounds through it. Only had one problem out of it, but I'm pretty sure it was my error. I had taken it apart to see how it worked and didn't reassemble it properly. That was easily fixed at the range.

From what I've seen, the promag drum is almost an exact copy of the MD-20, with the exception of the load assist and spinning the opposite way.

And the tabs on the back cover and the bodies shell isn't made from the same quality polymer

I would try a ProMag drum, if I didn't have two MD20s... Maybe a 12rd drum?

Edited by ChileRelleno

My 20 round Promag drum happily spews out anything i cram into it without any faults, and my 10 round Promag magazines haven't failed me yet. I have heard a lot of negative statements about Promag magazines on youtube and their videos show the magazine falling out of the gun when they fire it. I can't help laughing when they cry and ask why it doesn't stay in.

Looks like u shouldve picked up a couple of the promags at 60bucks each. I dont think i couldve passed on that.

Ya, I got mine for $80 last year at a gun show. I'm yet to shoot it, but it loads and hand cycles fine.

The only real negative I've heard about the ProMag 12's is that they fit a little loose. But that's what has stopped me from getting one as I don't like play in the lockup. I just wish they were file to fit like the MD20.

The only real negative I've heard about the ProMag 12's is that they fit a little loose. But that's what has stopped me from getting one as I don't like play in the lockup. I just wish they were file to fit like the MD20.

Mine have a slight wooble but it has never caused any issue for me.

I tried a MD-20 drum once....

I think you may be under exaggerating.

Thanks. I really like my MD but because of it's size it's relegated to range use only. I don't care for stick mags longer than 8 rounders so thing a 12 round drum would be ideal. Guess I'll have to get one.

I tried a MD-20 drum once....

I think you may be under exaggerating.

Thanks. I really like my MD but because of it's size it's relegated to range use only. I don't care for stick mags longer than 8 rounders so thing a 12 round drum would be ideal. Guess I'll have to get one.

I underexaggerated once.... ;)

I agree, the MD-20 is too big for any serious use where more than 20 rounds would need to be fired. I wish MD would make a 12 or 15 shot drum though. I considered the ProMag 12, but I have never been impressed with the build quality of any of the ProMag products that I have seen. Shit just looks cheap and it makes me wonder about the quality and durability of the springs etc.. I have examine the inside of the MD-20 very closely and it is absolutely a well designed quality product.

MD drums for me.

Pro mad is neither PRO nor MAG.

They don't make mags. they make storage devices for ammo that look like mags.

I used to think the same... But, a lot of people are very happy with the S12 drums, and other mags, like my 30rd 9mm XD.

They do indeed have a good number of mags that spending money on is like wiping your ass with the money.

But credit where credit is due, not everything smells like poo.

ETA:

Granted, I already have two MD20s, so I haven't bought any ProMag S12 drums.

But the 'Nutsack' is starting to sound better and better... Especially since the MD Doubles have been dragging ass for over two years bad_egg.gif

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

I have 2 of the nutsacks and they lock up tight. Slight play but this is a Kalashnikov.

As has been said, these seem to be the best all around mags.

I'll take your guys word for the drums.

But their latest release of UZI 45 acp mags all got sent back to them by me and the other board members of UZI TALK ,some wouldn't even fit the magwell.

Others held weird amounts of ammo and none fed when loaded to capacity but fed with 5 rounds????????

Well guys i decided to buy a promag stick mag for 20 bucks just to see what the deal was. Anyways I ended up having to file a large portion of the magazine in order to get it just to fit into my saiga. Which I found to be crazy. Now it feels loose and wobbly so I won't ever consider a promag stick. Although I might consider the 12rd drums and maybe another cheap 20rd if I happen upon it again. Which I assume I will since they'll be at the Dayton Hara Arena this week...