Smith and Wesson M&P Shield Review

I recently picked up a M&P shield this weekend. Here are a few initial thoughts.

Ok took the Shield to the range today. Shot about 100 rounds of my reloads. Not one malfunction. Here are a few thoughts.

Shooting

-Very soft recoil. Literally feels like shooting a full size 9. I shot the shield and my PPQ and I couldn't tell a difference. In comparision, the Kahr CM9 I own is alot more snappy. The kel tec pf9 I owned was even snappier than the Kahr.

-Great trigger! It's about time. The M&P trigger needed work, and man this is a totally different trigger than the other M&P models I've owned. Much Improved. Has a very quick reset, almost as good as my PPQ, and that is saying alot!

-Accurate. 12 yds it was almost as accurate as my PPQ, which is known for being very accurate, and a full size gun!

Carrying

I've been carrying this gun since I bought it. It fits perfectly in the Remora holster I had for my CM9. It is apparent there is more weight than the CM9, but it still basically disappears in your waistband. I am average size too(5'9,185). Very nice to carry. Much more comfortable than a double stack 9 like the G26 and M&P9c(carried both).

-I actually think you can pocket this thing! I didn't think it possible, until I did it in Walmart wearing a pair of dockers! I normally carry IWB these days but when I have to tuck in a shirt I like to be able to pocket carry. The pocket holster I was using(uncle mike's size 3) worked, but it's too small. Just ordered a size 4, should be perfect

Overall I'm really glad I bought it. Sold my CM9 to my uncle today so I broke even! If your in the market for a sub-compact or pocket 9, you have to look at the Shield. I've owned 3 "pocket" 9's. The PF9, CM9, and now the Shield. I've also owned sub-compacts(g26, M&P9c). The Shield shoots like a double stack or even full size 9, but carries like the pf9 and cm9. IMO it's the best of both worlds! S&W really hit a home run with this one!

• Like 1

nice review, a friend of mine has one of the full size s&w 9mm pistols and i cant stand the trigger. after seeing pics of these hitting the market i just figured the worst but from your review i'll definetly have to take a peek i come across one locally.

Gunfun, have you taken a look at the Rohrbaugh R9? Probably the smallest 9mm in production, similar dimensions to the .380s such as the LCP, etc. Price is relatively high, however.

JCP, it may have been their determination of a best balance of compact size weighed against shootability.. I haven't yet shot a Shield, but from reports of others who have, it appears to be an exceptionally well-handling pistol for its size. I've carried a PM9 for years, but I have no illusions about the ease of shooting it under stress compared to something like a Glock 26. The Shield may be one of the few single-stack compact 9mms that could make me reconsider that idea. I agree that the dimensions of it do seem a little long on paper, but whether that would have any practical relevance for me remains to be seen.

Good review. Pics would make it better. biggrin.png

I'll have to look into a Shield. They sound pretty damn close to exactly what I've been looking for in a compact 9.

Ask and you shall receive!

20120427_112556.jpg

20120504_225044.jpg

Gunfun, have you taken a look at the Rohrbaugh R9? Probably the smallest 9mm in production, similar dimensions to the .380s such as the LCP, etc. Price is relatively high, however.

JCP, it may have been their determination of a best balance of compact size weighed against shootability.. I haven't yet shot a Shield, but from reports of others who have, it appears to be an exceptionally well-handling pistol for its size. I've carried a PM9 for years, but I have no illusions about the ease of shooting it under stress compared to something like a Glock 26. The Shield may be one of the few single-stack compact 9mms that could make me reconsider that idea. I agree that the dimensions of it do seem a little long on paper, but whether that would have any practical relevance for me remains to be seen.

I can tell you from owning a CM9, that the Shield is a MUCH easier gun to shoot because of the softer recoil. The trigger also is more like a combat trigger, meaning it has a very quick reset. Follow up shots are easy. The Kahr trigger is much more like a revolver trigger. As far as carrying the Shield vs. the CM9, I really don't notice much of a difference. There is a weight difference but IWB negates that. Once I figured I could pocket carry the gun the CM9 went up for sale.

I'll have to go find one of these to fondle. I'll be interested to see a wider sample of reported reliability on these. I had a "good" PM9, none of the issues that some are plagued with, it's been flawless with the 6 round magazine. I guess I'm still somewhat hesitant on purchases of new models until I know what I may be dealing with..

Shoot yours a bunch, and let us know how it goes. :D

I'll have to go find one of these to fondle. I'll be interested to see a wider sample of reported reliability on these. I had a "good" PM9, none of the issues that some are plagued with, it's been flawless with the 6 round magazine. I guess I'm still somewhat hesitant on purchases of new models until I know what I may be dealing with..

Shoot yours a bunch, and let us know how it goes. biggrin.png

Head on over to the S&W forum. Their are a TON of shield reviews. The M&P forum is overrun by them. I've got about 300 rounds through mine so far, alot of them being my reloads. No malfunctions yet.

Nope, but now I am going to for sure. Thanks.