Carbine or Rifle length 54r?

Ive had a major woody for a 54r Saiga/Vepr for a long time now and now that they are here, I really want one, but cant decide what barrel length I want. I know they have a heavy barrel and are more than likely all over the PSL in every way, shape and form when it comes to quality and accuracy, but would it be worth it to put a POSP on it and go the Dragunov/Tigr route, the LMG route or would you just get a carbine length barrel and have Russia's verstion of the SCAR-H?

also, due to the "newness" of the VEPR's here on US soil, how are we in the aftermarket accessories department? Do they need a bullet guide like the Saiga's do. what kind of conversions can be done to them?

The caliber is nothing to get excited about, at least in a carbine-length semi-auto. It's nowhere near as efficient as 308. My 20 inch barreled Mosin carbine has more unburnt powder coming out of the barrel than my friend's 16 inch Saiga 308. The result: Lots more noise, blast, recoil, and flash. Also, you are likely stuck with 10 rounds forever, and that of a rimmed cartridge that can complicate feeding.

I don't think MD arms patent is actually useful on a rifle round, it primarily works for straight walled shotgun shells.

There are other older ways to reduce stacking from double to single.. Which may function better with the odd rimmed rounds.

I am of the opinion that this rifle is better suited to single stacks due to the way the bolt and trunnion are set up.

Yeah longer is better with most of the currently available ammo that was made for 91/30 and the PKM machine gun, plus the longer barrel will probably help even out the velocity of the old milsurp ammo..

Which is likely why longer barrels had the tendency to be more accurate, they even out the variables

if you can afford a tigr/svd that's definitely what i would get, and put a POSP on it, those things are tough as nails, if you run out of ammo you can take your scope off and beat someone to death with it then stick it back on the rifle and trust that it held zero

or, if you can afford a semi auto pkm get that, i've had a hard on for a pkm for a very long time

Edited by Russian Hammer

The caliber is nothing to get excited about, at least in a carbine-length semi-auto. It's nowhere near as efficient as 308. My 20 inch barreled Mosin carbine has more unburnt powder coming out of the barrel than my friend's 16 inch Saiga 308. The result: Lots more noise, blast, recoil, and flash. Also, you are likely stuck with 10 rounds forever, and that of a rimmed cartridge that can complicate feeding.

Man what are you talking about?

First how you can compare .308 and 7.62X54R? X54R you can compare with 30.06. X54R better , flatter more punch than .308.

Second comparing Saiga to Vepr it just silly ,Vepr is better made heavy RPK receiver rifle, for the mags don’t you worry 10 and 15 round mags are coming up soon.

Third. I have Saiga .308,PSL,VeprX54

Fourth ,ammo price ,140$ for 880 rounds of X54

RR3007.jpg

Vepr ,100 yards with russian surplas

,IMG_4923.jpg

good read about Vepr'smags

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108797

Edited by atakacorp
  • Like 1

Man what are you talking about?

First how you can compare .308 and 7.62X54R? X54R you can compare with 30.06. X54R better , flatter more punch than .308.

Second comparing Saiga to Vepr it just silly ,Vepr is better made heavy RPK receiver rifle, for the mags don’t you worry 10 and 15 round mags are coming up soon.

Third. I have Saiga .308,PSL,VeprX54

Fourth ,ammo price ,140$ for 880 rounds of X54

Ammo price is the only thing appealing about 54r; in every other way 308 is preferable.

I can't wait to see how long the 15 round single stack mag turns out to be.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Go with the longer barrel. On a gun like that, you definitely want to get the most out of it. I've been wanting one for a while... Just can't seem to let go of the cash for it.

If you're looking at that particular rifle, pretty sure you've decided on your caliber. Especially if you already have a mosin. :)

I have a Russian SVT-40 Tokarev in 7,62x54r and never had a feeding problem in many years of shooting it. I wish we could get a saiga in 7,62x54r with a 16'' or even a 18'' barrel. But it would need to have an adjustable gas system so we could shoot the 203gr soft point bullets.

I been wanting to get a saiga in 7,62x54r for a longtime too. But i may settle for a vepr in 7,62x54r. My question is how good are they?? Accurate??

Edited by Unknown Poster

I have a Russian SVT-40 Tokarev in 7,62x54r and never had a feeding problem in many years of shooting it. I wish we could get a saiga in 7,62x54r with a 16'' or even a 18'' barrel. But it would need to have an adjustable gas system so we could shoot the 203gr soft point bullets.

I been wanting to get a saiga in 7,62x54r for a longtime too. But i may settle for a vepr in 7,62x54r. My question is how good are they?? Accurate??

very, I posted a video from a review on that one it wound up in the vepr hunter board.
  • 3 years later...

Adding to the necro thread, I love the versatility of my 16" Vepr 308, but it uses a better cartridge, so in 54r, I would go with 23", or 20" minimally. If you just plan to use as a brush gun gun or for blasting at the range, 16 is fun. My 20" 54r still shot out fireballs, I ended up keeping the 23".