Want to do a Saiga 12 conversion on the cheap

I need to be 922r and NY compliant for my build. I already have a stock but it is an import so it wont count toward 922r. I have done a 7.62 conversion and am not sure how much different it is. I plan to get a US made FCG and a US made hand guard I believe that would make me 922r compliant. but I could be wrong.

As far as the fcg does it need modification? I ordered a pre done fcg for the 762 and ended up having to fit it myself anyway. Is it worth paying extra to have the fcg modified or should I do it myself. Also instead of sheaperds crook I plan to use hitch pins how do you guys feel about them. I am trying to save a few buck and also reuse the trigger guard. any help suggestions thing I am leaving out that I need. Thanks

Also does anyone know where I can find the fcg and or 10 round us made stick mag's for cheap? Thanks

Any links to video's or pic threads would be appreciated it's been a while since the 762 conversion.

Edited by SLY762

Mod the FCG yourself its not difficult. With a dremel you'll be able to knock it out fairly quick. As far as the hitch pins go, they work great. You can also use a retainer plate or e-clips. Its more a personal preference thing. Read the stickies pinned at the top, they're chalked full of good info to get ya headed in the right direction.

Edited by renegade331

should be real similar to your 7.62 conversion, 922r is not the same, though. http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaShotgunVerifyCompliance and I can't help you on the NY thing.

FCG needs mods unless you buy an S12 specifically modded FCG. easy enough though, drop it in and see what needs to be removed.

i picked up my 10rnd stick mags right here on the e-store.

Re use your own trigger guard, modify your own trigger set. Buy the bulgy stock from anticommagirl in the WTS Section. cut and fit a PG nut for $6. If you look at my gallery for my IZ 108, the parts list is a recipe for cheap. I spent $60 on very nice wood. you could subsitute the Bulgy Skeleton stock for the PG and stock to make NY happy and save $.

Or you could save up and do it right the first time. If you cheap out you're going to be disappointed with how it turns out and end up replacing things. When it's all said and done you'll have spent more going the cheap route vs. doing things right the first time.

• Like 1

Depends. My IZ108 build http://forum.saiga-1...build-2-iz-108/ didn't cost much, but it feels right, and I doubt I will ever want to change much on that other than the pistol grip for a matching US wood one. The saw grip is from a trade and will eventually be replaced with a handmade one most likely. You can do proper and cheap. It just takes a little more effort.

This cost $151 to convert if I paid retail for the parts, which I didn't. It does not feel "cheap." If I had received what I traded for, it would have been $121.

post-17871-0-94046000-1335933207_thumb.jpg

i.e. a Kvar Blem stock can be $25 and still look great and be solid. You can buy one and never regret it or feel the need to replace it.

I am all for buying what you want to end up with the first time, but cheap doesn't necessarily = bad. Costly doesn't really guarantee great either. For instance those Halo rails were and are crazy expensive, but I can't imagine leaving one on my gun for long. They may be expensive and well made, but the weight defeats the point of a shotgun.

That's why I have always hated the expression "you get what you pay for" There are many expensive things that suck. The expression would make more sense flipped around "You pay for what you get." A better expression would be "The cheapest option is seldom worthwhile."

• Like 1

Thank you very much everyone. The reason I am not buying a pre modified fcg is because last time I did and I still had to further modify it. I don't need the pg nut n screw setup because I cant have a grip so that help's. As far as the plate goes I never heard of using hitch pins and felt they would be easier for takedown. Thanks so much again every one especially gun fun. I will be using the original guard mod the fcg myself and probably try the hitch pin method. Cheap and will hopefully work. Still not fully sure how I will make the guard work but will figure it out if it can be done. Mullet sorry to be redundant and asking repeatedly I have a lot going on and am a bit scatter brained right now.

Or you could save up and do it right the first time. If you cheap out you're going to be disappointed with how it turns out and end up replacing things. When it's all said and done you'll have spent more going the cheap route vs. doing things right the first time.

sorry to burst your balloon, but that isn't true at all. when I converted mine, I didn't fall for all those "need this or need that" stuff or "you need to do this on the parts' that every vendor is peddling. and mine functions 100 percent without fail.

I didn't need to buy a new trigger guard, I reused the existing one by using MOE's tutorial posted here . I didn't buy a entire new US FCG, I had a foreign AK trigger from a old parts kit I had laying around, and modified using the original as a guide, and re-used the original disconnecter and hammer (those parts have already been modified at IZHMASH, so no modifications needed).

the only parts that I bought was a TAPCO S.A.W. grip (1 US part), RPK style handguard (2nd US part), internal rear trunnion block, folder mechanism. and a DPH stock (3rd US part), and a 8 round US made mag and 20 round drum( 4th, 5th and 6th US part).

as for the trigger/hammer retainer plate, I made my own. not all that complicated to do

with the money I saved from not buying all the "useless needed parts" I was able to get a nicer stock to put on my S12. and I am far from "disappointed" how it turned out. and I certainly didn't need to buy other parts after modifying it.

since SLY is from NY, he can forgo the folding mechanism

SAIGA_12_SBS_13inch_BARREL.JPG

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 3