Very Brief Initial Impression of Arsenal Verp Super 308

So, I back-ordered one of these from K-Var about three months ago, when they had them for $900. Finally came to my favorite FFL dealer yesterday and got to put two mags through it (very brief and hectic after-work range trip, focused on selling a friend's S12 to a guy who came shooting with us).

Inspected the weapon over at the FFL dealer's: All that stuff they say about beautiful wood, impeccable fit and finish, solid feel, smooth action, etc - ALL TRUE. Right away, I fell in love with this weapon and was happy that I ordered it. It is stamped Arsenal Inc and warrantied for a year. Came in a very pretty Russian cardboard box, which I am actually not throwing away.

My buddy and I were meeting a dude at the range to try to sell my buddy's S12 an hour later. After my buddy was done shooting his new Glock 19 (he was very excited about it) and then let the buyer put his S12 through its pases, I field-stripped the Super, wiped off the preservative, cleared the bore and the was ready to shoot. The receiver cover button and the way the receiver cover goes back in is a little different (took me a few minutes of trial an error to figure out smile.png ), the gas tube release is completely different (far superior), there rear sight is still just notched, but flips from 100 to 300 m setting (also, very different and nice), but otherwise - pretty familiar stuff, just finer.

This Arsenal model comes with one 10 rd mag - plastic, but very solid and well-molded. Very easy to load... The action on this Super and so light and smooth that you can charge it with your pinkie (if you were so inclined smile.png ). Seriously, it is unlike any AK variant that I have ever tried. The safety button is very big and easy to operate. You do have to switch to "F" before you can charge the handle. The mag release is ambi, ergonomic and excellent. It doesn't release mags - it forcefully ejects them with a nice snap. Love it!

The trigger... heard bad things about it. It's about the same as the Arsenal single stage I have installed in my SGL21... maybe a bit better. To me, it is a very good trigger, but my experience shooting fancy, high precision, accurized weapons is practically zero. I expected a much worse trigger through.

The weapon feels and shoulders great to me. Felt significantly lighter than my restored Saiga 308. Recoil... what f'ing recoil?!? All three of us who shot this gun were blown away by how little recoil there was. Cycling is smooth, great ejection... didn't get a chance to check out the spent casings for damage. Didn't get a change to shoot targets. Was hitting metal gongs from 100 yards every time, but that's expected...

Well, sorry for no pics, accuracy report, etc. Just felt like sharing my very excited initial impressions. Will provide more detailed reports later.

SHORT VERSION: Arsenal Vepr Super 308 seems like THE SHIT so far! If my SGL-21 is the Lexus of AK variants, this baby is a Rolls Royce! Very glad I ordered it.

05/02/2012 UPDATE:

Didn't have a chance to do anything more with this gun (since that brief Monday shooting trip) or show it to any more people, because life is very hectic for me right now. However, I did order a Molot Top Weaver Mount and some rather pricey Russian glass (can't live without an SVD style optical range finder and bullet drop comp chevrons. Just so used to it...). I will also take the gun to a local sports supply store and have them set me up with a nice pair of swivels and a comfy sling. I should be able to get a sling and install the glass this weekend. I will do some pics of the weapon, including field-stripped, etc. I am pretty good at taking pics. Don't know if I can do a range report until next weekend though. My range is closed this Sunday!

Oh... I also ordered two extra 10 rounders from K-Var and two CCSpecs metal 20 rounders from CSS. As far as I understand, the weapon has 12 922r applicable Russian parts, so I should be good with an American made high cap mag, which will replace 3 parts.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU
  • Like 2

The SAM-7 from Arsenal Inc. is one of the best AKM variants I own.

I'm jealous.

Yakdung

AKM? Aren't those milled? I can imagine how nice it must be.

EDIT: When I said "Aren't those milled?", I meant the Arsenal SAM-7s. I know that AKMs are stamped. :)

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

Yes it is a milled version in 762x39. I purchased it when they were first released paid approximately $535.00. I saw one

recently going for $1200.00

Enjoy your gun,

Yakdung

I want to see some close up pics of the gas tube release mechanism.

WIll do. It's a ridged spring button. You pull back on it with your finger and the tube comes out. Very nice! No more tools or cutting your fingers.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU
  • Like 1

Some pictures I took tonight, while and after scoping the rifle, which turned out to be more problematic than I had hoped for. Yes, that's a big, ugly scratch on the side of my brand new, expensive POSP zoom scope and yes, I had to "modify" (straighten out via pounding with a mallet) the mount locking lever, so that it fits around the scope's objective. I'll talk about that in more detail later. The scope also sits kind of high. I have ordered an adjustable Black Hawk cheek pad/riser. The pics are kind of meh. The lighting was bad.

Here's a video too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YZAGFMkBtM

7151483317_e5b82f01fb_b.jpg

7151483843_94c41dc185_b.jpg

7151485347_333b99d9b6_b.jpg

7151485823_8684005a4d_b.jpg

7005396942_c33636b681_b.jpg

7151486473_2b2af66c65_b.jpg

7151487927_bb13b5f86d_b.jpg

7005399414_0c7fa132a6_b.jpg

7151488823_59e8384b61_b.jpg

7005401332_918b95795d_b.jpg

7005400852_199e459edd_b.jpg

7151490757_193e3aed76_b.jpg

7005402854_9930d368ea_b.jpg

7151491985_29e232328b_b.jpg

7151492425_c19ddafd4f_b.jpg

7005404086_650c559352_b.jpg

7151493215_8b3c557426_b.jpg

7005405254_6da455c396_b.jpg

Edited by SpetsnazGRU
  • Like 1

Congrats and great review and pics, glad you like it. people should not get confused when the hear "Arsenal" and Super Vepr in the mix, this very fine quality build akm variant that is built at the Molot Factory. wait until you remove the stock and and see the machining on the barrelcool.png the rear of the receiversad.png ...dont know why they hacked it up

Congrats and great review and pics, glad you like it. people should not get confused when the hear "Arsenal" and Super Vepr in the mix, this very fine quality build akm variant that is built at the Molot Factory. wait until you remove the stock and and see the machining on the barrelcool.png the rear of the receiversad.png ...dont know why they hacked it up

Not to nitpick, but It's actually an RPK variant. Are you saying that the machining on the barrel is bad? I don't plan on removing the stock in the near future. They do not recommend it for routine maintenance. If fact, the manual says that only a "qualified gunsmith" should ever remove the stock. I've heard about that cut on the back of the receiver. No idea what purpose it serves. Received my BlackHawk cheek riser today. Going to try it on tonight and see if it helps me get a proper cheek weld with that high-sitting scope.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

Not to nitpick, but It's actually an RPK variant. Are you saying that the machining on the barrel is bad? I don't plan on removing the stock in the near future. They do not recommend it for routine maintenance. If fact, the manual says that only a "qualified gunsmith" should ever remove the stock. I've heard about that cut on the back of the receiver. No idea what purpose it serves. Received my BlackHawk cheek riser today. Going to try it on tonight and see if it helps me get a proper cheek weld with that high-sitting scope.

well RPK vairant if you say so, not sure if you saw a the yellow dude with cool sunglasses actually means Cool, but no did not say such a thing that the barrel is bad. the way the molot factory manufactures their veprs are far superior than any arsenal for the money at least for me. and did not get my super vepr from Arsenal. as for the stock i aint no qualified gunsmith by any stretch but it aint no rocket science to remove the stock..its up to you, i did remove mine. i have posted pics on another forum of the rear of the receiver, pretty much confused why they had to cut it that way..thats all.

well RPK vairant if you say so, not sure if you saw a the yellow dude with cool sunglasses actually means Cool, but no did not say such a thing that the barrel is bad. the way the molot factory manufactures their veprs are far superior than any arsenal for the money at least for me. and did not get my super vepr from Arsenal. as for the stock i aint no qualified gunsmith by any stretch but it aint no rocket science to remove the stock..its up to you, i did remove mine. i have posted pics on another forum of the rear of the receiver, pretty much confused why they had to cut it that way..thats all.

I just don't see the need to mess with the stock yet. I agree that Molot guns have superior fit and finish than either Arsenal SGLs (excellent Saiga-based AK-103 clones) or the Bulgies (SLRs), which are already super nice AK variants, though I've never seen one of their milled ones (SAM-7). I've heard that those are very, very nice. Arsenal now imports sporter Saigas and a range of Veprs. The other major Vepr importers are WPA and Molot USA.

I just don't see the need to mess with the stock yet. I agree that Molot guns have superior fit and finish than either Arsenal SGLs (excellent Saiga-based AK-103 clones) or the Bulgies (SLRs), which are already super nice AK variants, though I've never seen one of their milled ones (SAM-7). I've heard that those are very, very nice. Arsenal now imports sporter Saigas and a range of Veprs. The other major Vepr importers are WPA and Molot USA.

They are extremely nice. Several notches above their stamped guns. I got mine a few years back when they were around $950. Mine looks just like this one except it came with the 24mm threaded FSB and has the elongated Bulgy FH on it. I will be posting a review on a Vepr 54r carbine that Atlantic sent me that has been customized from the standard offerings, shortly.

SAM7-18_img02.jpg

Edited by U.S Praetorian

the way the rifle appears to me, I would think they cut it in that manner to make it easier to sit in this style of stock. as far as removing it, it shouldn't cause too much wear on anything, its relatively simple process. one suggestion I have read from some owners is to have the action bedded to improve accuracy.

understood, but i love to tinker with guns and how they put them together YMMV. robinson arms i beleive were the first to import the veprs then went idle. then i purchased mine from importertoyou.com, then came along WPA/TGI etc.. serial #2xx with the side rail mount. dracozny, your right on that one they cut it to fit the nice stock. but i think they still could of kept the nice shape of the vepr stock and still stick to the tradtional rear of an ak...oh well