Accuracy testing from factory?

I just picked up my Saiga .308 v2 and like it so far. I still need to get to the range, but I believe it will do what I want it to.

I am not expecting 1 MOA accuracy. I have other rifles for that type of precision work.

However, I ran into something in the owner's manual and wanted to know: How does Saiga test the accuracy of these rifles before they leave the factory? I know they are 100 meter groups, but is is standing? Prone? Braced off bags on a bench? From a fixed machine?

Also, are they measuring largest 4 round group spread from outside edge to outside edge? Or from center to center? or from inside edge to inside edge?

I'm just curious.

I noticed the manual states the gun will provide 4 round groups of around 102mm [around 4 inches]. However, I noticed pen marks on the inside, where it stated my rifle's 4 round group was 83 mm [about 3.26"]. I'm glad I'm under the 102mm, but was curious about how the measurement was taken and if there is anything I can do [within financial reason] to make this rifle under 3" groups with the stock stock and trigger [i have no interest in converting, esp as I'm in California].

Thanks for any/all info you can provide.

Shoot the shit out of it thereby smoothing out the shitty bastardized trigger linkage... Basic conversion is easily kept CA compliant and results in better trigger, balance and handling.

Shoot the shit out of it till you get to know it's (and your) particular eccentricities... Most rifles shoot better than the loose linkage that squeezes the trigger.

Shoot the shit out of with different types of ammo till you know which it likes best... Or find the best handload for it.

I'd say from what I've seen here (the posts I consider honest), most shoot 2-3 MOA out of the box, a few are 4-5 MOA... I have a hard time believing those who claim consistent sub-2 MOA.

Shoot it.

Shoot it.

Shoot it.

I don't know how the Factory shoots their accuracy rounds, I would imagine bench/bags considering how many they have to test in a day and to keep a consistent test standard.

I've seen pics from the factory showing firing after various torture testing, and they were shooting off hand at very close range targets, but this is just function testing.

• Like 1

You can tighten up your Saiga 308 doing the four basic things lost in the mists of time and all that stuff. Like alreay said better, first thing is to break in the rifle by kissing it and talking in soft Russian, then shooting the shiet out of it, letting it get smoking hot.

The second thing you can do is address that lousy trigger. "Hello trigger...here is my finger...hope you like it cause I doss". If you want, try one of the fancy match type triggers...or hone nicely your relocated factory type. Practice dry firing.

The third thing you can do is get to understand the iron sights on your Saiga, or get a good rear type rail and mount a good optic of your choice. I tried a Loop old 1.5x4x20 dangerous game scope. Expensive but nice. Now I use the .308 Eoteck. Perfect for the rifles intended purpose...short range ZOMBIES!! (or other)

The forth thing you can do is handload. Buy some of that low temp silver metal stuff and cast your chamber, leed and muzzle. You may need to shoot .309 or even .310 bullets for max accuracy. Be amazed what the proper load will do. My 16" bbl Saiga shoots about 1.5" @ 100 yards with US 169 gr match ammo and the Leopold on a bench in perfect conditions. HB of CJ (old coot)

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor has it that the Russians brace them on recently emptied vodka bottles when they do the test shots. Of course it goes without saying that they did shots before the shots.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This issue has come up on a number of forums. On one someone actually posted Izhmash's standard for the measurement. The four shots are made from prone position with the rifle on a sandbag, the rear sight set at 300m, and the target placed at 100m. The measurement is the largest distance between impacts. The purpose of the test isn't to certify the accuracy of the rifle. One the inspector is suppose to check everything is functioning and nothing is loose. Two as long as the rifle groups less than 150mm it is considered a pass. Over 150mm goes back to production. Once the four shot group is shot, the front sight is adjusted based on the placement of the three tightest impacts and the measurement of those impacts from the point of aim. The amount of adjustment on the front sight is based on a formula from the shot placement. The rifle is not re-shot after being zero'd. Once zero'd a scratch is made on the front sight indicating the zero mark.

My .308 had a measurement of 96 mm. It will shoot sub 2 MOA.

My 7.62x39 had a measurement of 121 mm it will shoot sub 3 MOA

My .223 had a measurement of 128 mm it will also shoot sub 3 MOA

So it seems to me that the rifle's accuracy is actually about 50%, roughly, of the test certificate number.

Take your Sagia to the range and see if it will group about 50mm or about 2 MOA.