Bolt On Hand Guard Retainer Suggestions

The handguard retainer available form Saiga-Ak is a superior product, in my opinion. It does require filing a slot in the barrel for the retainer to lock into. This is a simple mod and functions like a tradional AK retainer lock, just without the use of the lever. They are $40 with free shipping. However, it looks like they just sold out. Check with them and see when they will have the next batch. It is worth the wait.

The handguard retainer available form Saiga-Ak is a superior product, in my opinion. It does require filing a slot in the barrel for the retainer to lock into. This is a simple mod and functions like a tradional AK retainer lock, just without the use of the lever. They are $40 with free shipping. However, it looks like they just sold out. Check with them and see when they will have the next batch. It is worth the wait.

Just with a hand file? (to file the slot, I mean)

Go until fits sort of a thing?

Yes. Instructions and video are available. Google Saiga-Ak. I am most impressed. Like I say, the mod is very non-threatening.

From their site: Atlantic Firearms LLC uses Saiga-AK lower handguard retainers for their

"Cold War Style" Saiga conversions. Check it out.

If you can't find the website, PM me and I will give it to you.

It also has the sling attachment point.

Edited by canoecanoe

I can only vouch for Dinzag's (not to mention his customer service is off the charts). I have had it on my rifle for about four years with no movement. My Saiga doesn't get real hard use so I can't confirm it's "battle ready", but neither do I doubt it.

A split ring shaft clamp is a cheap alternative that can be found at most local hardware stores. I found an old thread about it ages ago in the 308 section;

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/51754-whats-our-options-for-clamp-on-lower-hg-retainers/page__p__483766__hl__+308%20+handguard%20+retainer__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=483766

I stick by the idea that the Dinzag model is worth it though, and his customer service is off the charts.

The no-sling-loop one on Brownells is made by Vulcan/Hesse, not Saiga-AK.

Right. Brownelolos and Saiga -Ak are two different retainers. akpartskits has one that appears to be the same and the one at Brownells, bit it is $25 at akpartskits.

I still like the one from Saiga-AK. I have two and I am quite pleased.