Comparison of Aftermarket Mags

So, looking to acquire a few more mags now that I've got my S12 up and running. I think I'll get one MD20 drum, but I'd like a few more stick mags as well. Have 2 factory 5 rounders, but maybe like an 8 and a 10 or maybe a 12. So, what's good, what's not, and what's a good street price for the ones that are worth buying in right now dollars?

The main page of this forum (hint: saiga-12.com) will give you listing of all of the various magazines and manufacturers available.

Edit: The main page will also give you general pricing on the different magazines as well.

The MD-20 is a good choice.

People on this forum have had mixed results with just about all of the manufacturers, as is to be expected with mass produced goods, but the general consensus leans away from ProMag magazines. The others seem to be relatively reliable, and I know from personal experience that the SGM 12 rd mag is solid quality, but every gun is different. What works well for my S-12 might not work for yours, so take any advice with that grain of salt and you should be able to make a solid choice between the manufacturers.

Edited by FOURBUX

The best stick mags are izzy ones. Unfortunately the 8 round izzy mags are not a cheap item.

I shoot agp gen2, surefire/SGM, keepshooting mags and an MD20. All of them have worked great for me in my particular firearm.

As they said, for stick mags, everything but the promag is decent and people are happy with them. For drums, everything other than AA wraithmaker.

I have both SGM and AGP mags. They've all worked flawlessly for me so reliablity isn't a concern. I like the AGP mags slightly more though because they don't have the bulky floorplate that the SGM mags do.

Just bought an SGM 10 round, and gotta say, I'm kinda disappointed. It feels cheap to me, and the plastic feed lips turned me off. Haven't used it yet, so I can't comment on functionality yet, but I'm not convinced it would stand up to much punishment. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my AR's PMAGs, but for the price I was expecting a lot more.

I own 4 Taiwanese (Keepshooting) mags. They have never been altered and have functioned flawlessly for me in 3 years use.

I own 9 Promag 10rd mags. To my knowledge, these are Gen.2 mags. I had to insert deep-well sockets into the mag bodies and heat them just to get the followers to stop binding. I've also had to coat the inside of all the mag bodies with gun oil as well as the follower sides just to get the mags to perform at 80~85%. That's the best results I can get.

I just recently aquired 5 MD Arms 20rd drums based solely on member's reviews. I have yet to fire a round through any of these.

! Best way to determine quality of a product is to NOT use it.

I thought the guy's review was fair as far as it went. I know that I've bought mags for both of my Saigas (12ga and .308) that sucked so hard, they never made it to the range.

! Best way to determine quality of a product is to NOT use it.

I thought the guy's review was fair as far as it went. I know that I've bought mags for both of my Saigas (12ga and .308) that sucked so hard, they never made it to the range.

He didn't even feed test them. I choose mags based on function. Not how pretty they are.

I have good experience with the following mags: SGM 12, 10, 8 No problems. Keep on shooting 5 no problems.

Izzy 5 some problems: follower dragging, not pushing up shells. Steel feed lip reinforcement popping off several times and puking out all the shells. I've had 5 of those mags and only know for sure that 2 had those issues. This made me look more favorably on the SGM's one piece feed lip, which incidentally feeds with less drag than the steel lips on the rim.

If you are worried about the reinforcement in the front lug, though I can say that after owning and using them heavily for over a year, 5 of my SGM magazines lost the front lug within a couple hours of each other. Watch out! Learn from my experience be careful not to dremel and file on your SGM magazines when they are loaded with 3" shells!

If you are worried about the reinforcement in the front lug, though I can say that after owning and using them heavily for over a year, 5 of my SGM magazines lost the front lug within a couple hours of each other. Watch out! Learn from my experience be careful not to dremel and file on your SGM magazines when they are loaded with 3" shells!

I am, but it ended up being irrelevant because they wouldn't physically feed the 3" shells into my shotgun. I cut one of the 10 rounders down to 8 rounds, and it got a little better, to where it would feed almost reliably but only with my 3" 00 reloads (remmy hulls). But it still choked on factory shells, and I tried Remington, Winchester, and Federal ammo all with the same result. My Izzy 5 rounders have been entirely flawless.

So who here wants a NIB MD-20? Huh..? happy.png I'm sorry, but some of the threads that come up here are so "old-shit-long-been-settled" that it's ridiculous.

I've got a MD-20 drum to sell for anyone who can recognize the value; never used, not fitted, clear back-cover;... $121 shipped. wink.png

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

Just to clarify, I have only heard of magazines actually breaking in very cold weather with some of the first runs of each brand. I ground some of my lugs off for a magwell.

Just to clarify, I have only heard of magazines actually breaking in very cold weather with some of the first runs of each brand. I ground some of my lugs off for a magwell.

Yeah, without steel reinforcement, rock'n'lock S-12 magazine lugs, (e.g. Surefire, AGP, Tapco, etc), do snap in cold weather. Imagine that. ^_^

about as often though as glock owners admit to a jam.

What's a jam?! I love my 10mm Auto Glock 20!! No shit, full-power 10mm Auto is superior to all other "combat pistol" calibers; even ..50 AE. wink.png

Proven, aftermarket S-12 mags are more rare, without a doubt. The only ones I own are MD-20s, (1 of which I actually use) 1 of those is for sale; $121 shipped with smoke or clear back cover.

Edited by post-apocalyptic