Skull charging handle

Hey guys, I thought I'd give you some sneak peaks of my current project. Sorry (again) for the crappy cell phone pics. The skull is stainless steel and was silver soldered in place. It is very well attached, and has a LOT more detail than the pics show. The skull also follows the natural curvature of the factory charging handle, so it feels great when charging the wep. These pics were taken directly after bead blasting.

bcskull.png

bcskull1.png

bcskull2.png

Edited by Mitch535
  • Like 4

Hey guys, I thought I'd give you some sneak peaks of my current project. Sorry (again) for the crappy cell phone pics. The skull is stainless steel and was silver soldered in place. It is very well attached, and has a LOT more detail than the pics show. The skull also follows the natural curvature of the factory charging handle, so it feels great when charging the wep. These pics were taken directly after bead blasting.

bcskull.png

bcskull1.png

bcskull2.png

Dude that is just awesome. I want one....

Sounds like a Promag 10....no function....but looks good!!

Ornaments have no place on my weapons.

I suppose that oversized charging handles serve no purpose to you then? Same purpose here. This is just permanently affixed rather than "bolt on". This was also cheaper for me to do than purchasing a bolt on oversized charging handle. A big thanks to everyone for the kind compliments!

Anyone who is seriously interested in having this done, private message me. I plan to duracoat this piece black, but I may polish it first to show you guys what it "could" look like.

Sounds like a Promag 10....no function....but looks good!!

Ornaments have no place on my weapons.

I suppose that oversized charging handles serve no purpose to you then?

Actually, no they don't. Sorry...not trying to crap on your thread. I just have more traditional taste when it comes to AKMs.

I'll soon take more pics, I just took a few with a cell phone to give a sneak peak. As for modifying the back of the skull, I simply put it under the drill press and drilled out a hole. These are beads and have a hole going from the top of the skull down through its jaw. I stopped drilling when my drill bit came perpendicular through that hole. I used the hole already in the skull to fill in the silver solder from top and bottom, and also soldered around the back of the skull to make it seamless. It could also be tigged if one had a stainless setup. I didn't feel like walking down to the body shop to use their tig, so I opted for silver solder. You DO have to modify your bolt carrier as well, which is the scary part. You don't wanna ruin your bolt carrier..