Morons. (the parents, not the kids)

They will suffer the rest of their lives knowing their ignorance and stupidity killed their son. I am sure the rest of the family will not make it easy for them.

My dad taught me to respect firearms. Some were in the gun cabinet, locked up, some weren't. I made it though childhood without shooting myself or anyone else. A lock isn't going to do it. Education is the best way.

• Like 13

And how much pain and suffering has and will result from the anti-gun lobby's hypocritical, and self serving demonization of all pro-gun groups and their safety programs? We'll never know as it's impossible to quantify accidents that didn't happen.

Criminal negligence at the very least. If parents don't get charged in cases like this, the "do-gooders"

will take it upon themselves to pass laws "to protect the children".

Leaving a loaded firearm unattended in any home is completely unnecessary, IMHO. If you leave, take it with you or lock it up.

With two small kids at home, I always kept it in the same room with me, chamber empty, when it wasn't in the safe.

Exposure to firearms and safe gun handling help take the curiosity factor out of the equation.

I grew up in an anti-gun home and when my best friend took me into his parents bedroom and showed me his dads .45 Auto I wanted to hold it SOOO BAD, but he wouldn't let me touch it.

I feel awful for the parents.

Edited by Sim_Player

An empty gun is a paperweight. I can hear it now:

"WAIT Mr. Rapist! Please wait! I have to load my gun so I can defend myself."

.....now comes the screams, struggling, etc.

...and another satiated rapist walks away.

An empty gun is a paperweight. I can hear it now:

"WAIT Mr. Rapist! Please wait! I have to load my gun so I can defend myself."

.....now comes the screams, struggling, etc.

...and another satiated rapist walks away.

I'm talking about the small arsenal I own. not the loaded Glock under my mattress. wink.png

Besides, the only crime I know of in my neighborhood where I have lived the last 17 years is somebody drove over my roadside mailbox. 021.gif

Yup, then come the stupid laws....firearms have to be locked in a safe, disassembled, in a locked room, ammo in another safe with a 15 min time delay that can only be opened on a Tuesday with two separate keys that have to be carried by two separate individuals.

• Like 3

I think most of us can agree on a few key points:

1) a gun that is unloaded, dis assembled and locked away is little use to useless in an emergency.

2) If you have kids around, you need to store your guns more responsibly. Probably lock up all but a couple, and keep an eye on those two.

3) Anyone in your house, including adults should know how to safely and responsibly use firearms. Proper respect and self control is the only way you have any chance of safety. Well trained kids still have unwise and untrained friends. Ditto for adults.

4) If given the chance, the government will make rules that manage to defeate each of the above purposes and concerns. Any responsible person can come up with a plan balancing the above situations, tailored to his own situation and the personalities of his own family better than Washington DC or the state of Illinois can.

5) Threatening your daugter's boyfreind is as useless as locking your guns if you haven't already taught your daughter to have sense about her behavior, and sense about who she hangs out with.

• Like 5

Children need to be taught the difference between a REAL gun and a toy. If all the experience they have in firearms comes from TV and movies then they will have no respect for them.

• Like 3

This NOT an accident! Calling this an accident is a sham, this is negligence, they obviously neglected to train their children in firearm safety.

There are loaded firearms at hand at all times in our house, and I trust my kids to be around them, they are very well trained and firearms are as common to them as the vacuum or dishwasher.

I would lay $100.00 on the table that 90% of kids who shot themselves or others have little to no firearms safety training.

Worse they've been scared and threatened about ever touching a firearm. When you're a curious kid and something is taboo, what the fuck do you do? You experiment and rebel, you pick it up, wave it around and all the while your booger hook is on the trigger... Shit is going to happen!

I'm not good with jail, yeah, they will likely live in a personal state of hell for the rest of their lives, but they should be charged and sentenced to `at least be on Probation & assigned Community Service.

How about they be required to put together a NRA Eddie the Eagle firearms safety class for kids and teach it bi-weekly or monthly for the next year?

• Like 3

How about they be required to put together a NRA Eddie the Eagle firearms safety class for kids and teach it bi-weekly or monthly for the next year?

This is my point. You could have 10,000 volunteers willing to teach gun safety specifically the Eddie Eagle program and it would matter little if the training is not accessible by those who need it most. Kids like yours are good to go as you've been responsible and taught them right from wrong with regard to guns. The kids who need training are those who's only exposure to guns are in movies and video games where it's all make believe, no one gets hurt, no one dies.

The anti-gunners fight this kind of training because they view it as pro-gun propaganda and indoctrination. They are afraid that if kids or adults know more about guns and gun safety they will be come more comfortable with them and more likely to see the irrational and false nature of the anti-gun core argument. They are afraid that if Eddie Eagle gets wide spread exposure it might equate to positive press for their #1 Boogeyman, the NRA.

Their hypocrisy is astounding when on one hand they're supposed to be all about preventing death and injury yet they fight safety programs tooth and nail. The conclusion can be no other than the true agenda is not about safety, it's about disarming each and every law abiding American.

• Like 3

This NOT an accident! Calling this an accident is a sham, this is negligence, they obviously neglected to train their children in firearm safety.

There are loaded firearms at hand at all times in our house, and I trust my kids to be around them, they are very well trained and firearms are as common to them as the vacuum or dishwasher.

I would lay $100.00 on the table that 90% of kids who shot themselves or others have little to no firearms safety training.

Worse they've been scared and threatened about ever touching a firearm. When you're a curious kid and something is taboo, what the fuck do you do? You experiment and rebel, you pick it up, wave it around and all the while your booger hook is on the trigger... Shit is going to happen!

I'm not good with jail, yeah, they will likely live in a personal state of hell for the rest of their lives, but they should be charged and sentenced to `at least be on Probation & assigned Community Service.

^^^^^^^100%^^^^^^^ Same as my household we have a few that are loaded and my son was taught REAL gun safety and opperation starting at age 4 just like my dad taught me.Its the lack of knowledge and perspective given to kids from their parents/guardians weather they are anti-gunners or just lack the common sense.The best way to prevent gun accidents with children is KNOWLEDGE.As mentioned above curious kids who dont know better will want to find the key and check it out anyway.My son is now 9 and the only time I need to put away all loaded guns is when he has a guest so that in case that guest has not been taught to respect firearms,they will not wind up in a "situation"........OH and if you break in or become a threat he's very capable and confident with mommy's FN FNX9.

• Like 1

"Investigators say the 12-year-old was trying to retrieve money from under a mattress and found the gun."

Keeping cash/a gun under their mattress? I dont know why, but it sounds like a lowlife thing to do.

Gosh, I better move my Glock to the night stand. I wouldn't want to be considered low life. laugh.png

"Investigators say the 12-year-old was trying to retrieve money from under a mattress and found the gun."

Keeping cash/a gun under their mattress? I dont know why, but it sounds like a lowlife thing to do.

Gosh, I better move my Glock to the night stand. I wouldn't want to be considered low life. laugh.png

haha.gifhaha.gif to funny /\ /\.

Lots of good responses to this one. My wife and I have trained our kids and they know what to touch, what not too and when to use them. The grand children will be taught the same way. BpS12 we also lock up guns when other people are about in the house with the exception of those that we carry. The master bedroom has an outside door lock on it, need a key to get in, so no one can accidentally uses the wrong door.

Edited by Dad2142Dad

My dad taught me to respect firearms. Some were in the gun cabinet, locked up, some weren't. I made it though childhood without shooting myself or anyone else. A lock isn't going to do it. Education is the best way.

Same here. Daddy had a 16 penny nail bent at a 90 degree angle keeping his homemade cabinet closed. We were taught not to bother his firearms, and we didn't! He took the "mystery" away from them, as we were around them from when we were big enough to hold one. He would take us shooting on a regular basis, and we were well aware of what damage they could do.

I trained both mine at a young age, being I did armed security and armored car work years back. When we lived in WA State, my youngest (7 at the time) was at school when the local news crew decided to do an experiment. They placed a firearm(unloaded, of course) on a desk in a classroom and had a camera to record what happened. Some ignored it, some were terrified, some picked it up and waved it around, pointing it at fellow classmates. My son, following his training, picked it up, dropped the mag, and locked the slide open. He then carried it to the principal's office by the muzzle(just as I'd taught him). You think the news station aired that footage? Fuck no. I got called in and chastised for training my son on firearm safety.

• Like 1

Studies show that suicide rates in adolescences with firearms is unaffected by the manner in which the weapons are stored.

AKA if they want to play with your gun they will teach them not to want too. i don't have kids so it's no concern of mine

Edited by ZombieJefferson

Same here. Daddy had a 16 penny nail bent at a 90 degree angle keeping his homemade cabinet closed. We were taught not to bother his firearms, and we didn't! He took the "mystery" away from them, as we were around them from when we were big enough to hold one. He would take us shooting on a regular basis, and we were well aware of what damage they could do.

I did the same with my nephew when he was little. I showed him what they could do. I shot a jug of water, I think. Maybe a melon. It's been 15 or more years ago. I said you NEVER point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy. Then I said "would you do that to your Pappy?" (My dad) He teared up and solemnly shook his head no. I bought him a BB gun when he was 4 and trained him how to use it. He wasn't allowed to touch it unless a family member was supervising. Never had a problem with him.

Edited by patriot

Its not just keeping the gun under there, its keeping gun and cash in there together. Sounds like something id see in a crime tv series or something, ya know?

Its not just keeping the gun under there, its keeping gun and cash in there together. Sounds like something id see in a crime tv series or something, ya know?

Yup, I know. It's all good. Besides, all my handguns are registered in keeping with state law unlike some folks who keep their drug related cash and guns stashed under the mattress. smile.png