Broke the bullet guide tap

Yes, I did.

I am trying to drill it out and go one size larger but the tap was made of kryptonite I think.

So, HELP!!!

Should I leave it and drill another hole in the bullet guide?

(I know no one here has done this but maybe you have a friend that did it?)

Thanks to all.

I did the same thing. I used JB Weld steel, then refinished the gun in Nurells. The bullet guide is not a high impact item on the gun, and mine has held up just fine, and looks like it was stock on the gun. Now, having said that, I would much rather have it tapped, but I screwed that up, and this is the second best option, IMHO.

I don't use JB weld because I evidently have the ability to drill and tap the hole without breaking the tap...super_man.gif

Also helps to have the right handle, http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=17323/pid=6880/Product/T-HANDLE-TAP-WRENCH?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&mc_id=10000&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c3466_a_7c395311001_d_395311001_d_11629

5 bucks either way

• Like 1

I have used JB Weld on numerous things from Harley primarys to tractor carbs and know first hand that chemicals and heat will errode the chemical bond.

I would not trust it personally but that is your choice.

• Like 1

I dunno...maybe hit it with freeze spray (-62F) before you start pounding on it again with a hammer and punch...maybe use a smaller diameter mill bit on a drill press to get rid of most of it, and then the cold spray before the punch.

Whatever you do, I'd find a different way than JB...no offense to those who've used it, but that stuff is gonna fail when you need it most.

I know it sucks, but if you really want this thing to last (im assuming you do), you need to spend some extra money, and not just the 6 dollars for JBweld either.

Figure out the next size up, buy the drill bit, tap (even if you have to buy a small set), handle and screw.

This little part makes or breaks the function of your rifle. Its really not something to half ass.

I used a shot of non ozone depleting R134 A on a tap that I broke on something at work, and like mentioned before a punch and hammer.Somehow,I had the thought of cold and brittle and some things when cold shatter like glass.I did get it out ,but it was a pain,it was broke off deep .

One the 2 bullet guides that I drilled and tapped,I went very very slow and used cutting fluid and backed them off fequently to break the chips.I first used an automatic center punch on the trunnion to keep the bit from walking. I used a cheap cordless drill.I would love to have used the drill press at work but my employer does not allow firearms on the property(Gov't).

i will probably use jb weld on my bullet guide, along with a 6-32 that is red lock tited in. Jb weld alone? Forget about it, it may work, but i would always be worried that it would give out right when i need the gun.

Just make sure before you make it permanent, that you run a few hundred rounds over it. Once you are comfortable the guide is doing its job, then lock it in place.

Edited by Boomsick42
  • 2 weeks later...

I did it. Twice.

Check out this latest thread on it

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/77090-who-else-has-had-bullet-guide-hole-tapping-issues/

Do I little research on the proper drill for the screw thread. I found the the drill sent with the tap I bought was on the small end of appropriate drills for the tap size. You can drill for a "free fit" or for a "close fit". Drilling with the bigger of the two fixed my problem and left a good tight fit. A drop of threadlock and don't expect to ever have a problem.

Blah blah blah JB Weld is evil and will get your dog pregnant.

Sheesh...

Seen screws come loose, break, etc etc etc but folks use the crap out of them.

Just do a good job with whatever you choose and it will be fine.

Aint exactly the main bearing on a Hemi we talking about here.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Blah blah blah JB Weld is evil and will get your dog pregnant.

Sheesh...

Seen seen screws come loose, break, etc etc etc but folks use the crap out of them.

Just do a good job with whatever you choose and it will be fine.

Aint exactly the main bearing on a Hemi we talking about here.

THIS!!!!!