what adhesive for attaching neoprene to a magpul cheekriser?

Hey all,

I need to get my sight picture raised a few more millimeters, so I came up with attaching a cut to fit, nylon covered neoprene mousepad to my magpul cheekriser. I just am not too sure on which adhesive to use for neoprene. Does anyone have a clue as to a particular brand of bonding agent would be good for this endeavour???

Any help would be appreciated.

Just a guess here, but you can get some decent aerosol spray adhesives in automotive stores for gluing on sound dampening material. The sort that you spray on both parts, and let cure to the point where it feels dry before joining pieces seems like a good bet.

I guess I am not the only person who has thought of the neoprene cheek riser pad. At one point I was planning to build an aluminum stock with cheek riser. The plan was to bond neoprene to the cheek riser and then black leather on top of that. Plans changed, but I still think it would look and feel good.

I bet a dive shop would have neoprene specific adhesives for wet suits too.

• Like 1

thanks gunfun,

thought about the dive shops, they have adhesives that stick neoprene to neoprene. workers were not sure if it would work on anything else.

I will look into the sound dampener material adhesives, thats a great idea.

I have found a few different aerosols like 3m super 77 and 3m super 80 just not sure which one to use. I thought someone might have had a similar idea and found something that worked for them. Never hurts to ask.

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking of this idea either. Leather would be awesome, but im just gonna go with the $3.00 nylon covered mousepad... easier and cheaper.

This is what I did with neoprene on a Tromix stock cheek riser. I used contact cement. It has held up great. I glued on a piece a little bigger than necessary and trimmed it with a razor blade for a perfect fit.

cheekrest.jpg

• Like 1

Contact Cement is pretty much the same as the aerosols I was thinking of, so that is a good option. Dogman-- 1 thanks for inputing known success. 2) doesn't it smack you in the cheek at that angle? I thought the general rule was that the cheek rest is parallel to the bore, or it bites you. It does look like an improvement in any case.

As for leather being expensive? Lots of furniture places have a scrap bin with pieces of very nice leather for not much money. None of them are big pieces, because there is usually some blemish in the grain that meant they couldn't use it. However, I doubt you would have trouble finding a nice piece that has clear grain big enough. I've made quite a a few things out of nice scrap leather and you would never notice that it came from a remnant.

Contact Cement is pretty much the same as the aerosols I was thinking of, so that is a good option. Dogman-- 1 thanks for inputing known success. 2) doesn't it smack you in the cheek at that angle? I thought the general rule was that the cheek rest is parallel to the bore, or it bites you. It does look like an improvement in any case.

As for leather being expensive? Lots of furniture places have a scrap bin with pieces of very nice leather for not much money. None of them are big pieces, because there is usually some blemish in the grain that meant they couldn't use it. However, I doubt you would have trouble finding a nice piece that has clear grain big enough. I've made quite a a few things out of nice scrap leather and you would never notice that it came from a remnant.

It doesn't smack me at all that I notice. Also I think the photo might make it appear be a little more severe angle than it is but it is definitely canted and that is the only way it feels like I'm getting a good cheek weld. The neoprene is a great cushion anyways. I was going to put leather over mine too but I was satisfied with the look and feel like it is and I didn't to make it too complicated.

Interesting. The range I was using in the Yakima area had lots of sandy dust blowing around. The cheek rest would have become abrasive pretty quickly out there if I didn't coat it with something less porous. I made the mistake of leaving my gun case open on the ground to set the stuff on while we shot, and it actually scratched up some stuff from the sand that got in the foam. It took forever to vacuum all of that out.

I would start with that 3M removable adhesive that they sell for hanging things on walls. Good sticky stuff that will come off without messing anything up.

That way you can try different things untill you get the set-up you want, without a mess on the stock.

• Like 1

awesome guys, thanks alot.

Dogman, thanks for the input on a past success with the same issue. contact cement would be easy to acquire and cheaper than 16-25 a can for the 3m stuff...

GOB, good suggestion, might do that, and test it before I make it permanent.

appreciate the help guys.

I am suprised and frankly somewhat disappointed that someone hasn't mentioned JB weld due to it's populariity with bullet guide installations. After all JB Weld is an one stop fix. haha.gif

• Like 1

I have a huge stack of 1/4" thick black neoprene foam that my wife brought home from the manufacturing place we both used to work at, it's self adhesive on the bottom side, I plan on putting that on the T-6 stock on mine, if it get's screwed up I'll just take it off, clean it up and cut out another pad. I have enough to do like 400-500 stocks, lol...

• 2 weeks later...