Thinking of a red dot...

So I've been thinking of getting a red dot.

I've been looking all over at all different kinds, and I think I have found the one I want

http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scopes/red-dot/original-pk-01-va-military-red-dot-rifle-weapon-scope-w-brightness-adjustment-detachable-ak-side-mount-and-standard-30-mm-tube.html

Anyone here have any experience with this red dot?

I like it for the following reasons:

-1.5 MOA dot. the nearest I could find that was close to that was a trijicon that had a 1.75 MOA dot. It costs nearly a grand though. There may be other sights that have a 1.5 or smaller dot, but i haven't seen them or how much they cost.

- 300 dollar price tag, not TOO bad...

- co-witness. It co-witnesses right out the box. slap it on, and the iron sights are visible in the lower third region of the scope.

-strong like bull.

-runs off of two AAA batteries. Now, the battery life is nowhere near the american sights (150 hours vs. 5000), but, meh. theyre just AAA's.

-legit russian sight for a legit russian rifle.

What are your thoughts?

No experience with this one......but you may want to open up your options to also include looking at the Bushnell TRS-25. Typical street price has come down to just under $100....and has gotten good reviews from folks like "NutnFancy" on Youtube and others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGLOd1jHz8E

I was able to snag one when they were on-sale for $80 and even tried (and succeeded )to get the $30 rebate that was offered by Bushnell at the time for some of their optics. At anywhere from $50 to-$100....this is an incredibly good unit to consider. Amongst its competitors it has a small dot ( 3moa)...but that is still larger than the one you are thinking of...so I don't know if that matters to you.

Edited by IPSC45

well, I looked at that sight long and hard. It was my first option really. I am leaning towards the russian because its dot is smaller, runs off of AAA's, and has the mount built into it.

I also want to try and keep it Russian...

but thanks for your info sir! the Bushnell is still a very good looking sight... leading contender against the Russian...

No problem.... just sharing.....and it may help yet others on this board. The Russian unit you are looking at certainly DOES look nice, and for sure....the mount is worth another $30-$120....depending how you value this ( UTG equivalent is about $30.....K-VAR equivalent is $100-$120).

yup, thats exactly what i was thinking. The mount that it comes with has a spiffy feature, the lever that you use to tighten it down has a small protrusion on it that fits perfectly into the small recess on the rail on the side of the AK.

This helps retain the zero when you take it off an put it back on. and because it sits so low, you have to take it off to get the dust cover off.

Battery life is actually about 500 hours in even the brightest sunlight. In less harsh lighting mine was still visible up til 3 days ago, or about 700 hours depending on lighting and contrast. That's at max brightness.

http://russianoptics.net/Battery.html

Of the red dot's you can get off the shelf PK01-V has my vote for being the best overall. PK01-VS and PK-A Venezuela are still on after 33 days but they are almost impossible to find.

:beer:

Z

Good choice on optic. Im in the same boat as you. I want a red dot but I want to keep my russian rifle...russian. Just seems like the right thing to do!

From my research this seems like one of the better of the east block red dots. Whatever you do decide on please update us with a review of some kind!

Edited by JCP281

thanks for all the work you put into your reviews TX-Zen :)

I should be getting the sight in sometime today, and will take it to the range this weekend. I will do an unboxing review, and a range review as well.

JCP, ill post the reviews up soon as i get my grubby paws on it :D

Right!

So i got home last night and put on my new PK-01V red dot.

Its awesome! Really easy to install. It was loose to begin with, but theres a small spring tab on the bottom of the lever that you remove, then the lever handle becomes a wrench to tighten it up. Those Ruskies think of everything.

Since it mounts so low, It co-witnesses right away, and I dont need to change my cheekweld at all.

Anyways, here are some pics. I am sorry for the quality, my garage is not exactly a photo studio smile.png

post-32465-0-01173800-1336569543_thumb.jpg

post-32465-0-58683800-1336569576_thumb.jpg

I'm Planning on taking it to the range this weekend, so i will do a writeup of how it did afterwards.

Initial Impressions:

The sight is built like a tank. I really dont think there will be any problems in that regard.

The optic is surprisingly clear. There is not really any discoloration that you get with other red dots.

The dot itself is nice and sharp, all the way through the brightness levels (i think there are 11, but i will confirm this tonight)

It is rather weighty... but, its not really that big of a deal.

All in all, I am very, very happy with it.

Took it to the range today, First time with the red dot.

Wow! Its awesome! It took a little bit to get it kind of sighted in, but after that it was a breeze to use.

I couldn't take it to my regular range as they are closed for renovations, so i didn't test it at 100 yards.

This was the sight in target:

post-32465-0-86948100-1336876285_thumb.jpg

This was after tweaks:

post-32465-0-51398400-1336876325_thumb.jpg

Sighting in was challenging... The manual is of course, in Russian. What I ended up doing was putting the dot on the tip of the front sight post. I could keep my usual cheek weld this way too.

If anyone has any practical advice on how to sight in one of these red dots, please do let us know smile.png

hey there Potus,

If you are thinking of a Russian optic, DEFINITELY check out TX-Zens web page. He has the best reviews on Russian optics. When you decide you want to get one, check out Kalinka Optics. They have oodles of sights.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good review Red Star. I havnt been on in a while due to school and working, so I just now read it. I will be picking one up after my wedding in a few weeks I think. Should be able to conjure up some money. tongue.png

You think so, huh? Plans are already made for all your paychecks from here on out! lol