so today i picked up some remington express magnum 00 buckshot 3" as well as some 2-3/4" 1 oz. max dram slugs. i have a DPH arms gas plug. setting 1 on it is for magnum and slugs, and 6 is for spammo. I loaded up 5 rounds of the buckshot and fired, jam. knock it down to settings 2, fire, and jam. knocked it down to 3 and finished off the magazine no problem. set it back to 1 and loaded up the slugs and they all fired off without a hitch.

The buckshot had considerably more recoil than the slugs but would only work on setting 3. anyone else experienced this or is there simply something i don't know about this ammo?

so today i picked up some remington express magnum 00 buckshot 3" as well as some 2-3/4" 1 oz. max dram slugs. i have a DPH arms gas plug. setting 1 on it is for magnum and slugs, and 6 is for spammo. I loaded up 5 rounds of the buckshot and fired, jam. knock it down to settings 2, fire, and jam. knocked it down to 3 and finished off the magazine no problem. set it back to 1 and loaded up the slugs and they all fired off without a hitch.

The buckshot had considerably more recoil than the slugs but would only work on setting 3. anyone else experienced this or is there simply something i don't know about this ammo?

I too have the DPH and quite honestly have not been able to cycle anything at the "1" setting, not slugs, magnum 00 buck nothing. Nothing at #2 either. #3 works for all 00 buck Ive tried. #1 and #2 do not.

I too have the DPH and quite honestly have not been able to cycle anything at the "1" setting, not slugs, magnum 00 buck nothing. Nothing at #2 either. #3 works for all 00 buck Ive tried. #1 and #2 do not.

wow, thats interesting. the slugs cycled fine on 1 for me in a 19" 4 port. i was firing the buck unchoked, that probably does make a difference since gas is escaping quicker. honestly didn't think of that before now... i need to pick up a polychoke...

I tried commercial Remington loads with 16 pellets of 1 buck and my Saiga functioned like a bolt action gun! I have no idea what powder they use but there isn't enough pressure to cycle my gun. OK, it did function on setting 3 with a reduced recoil spring. However, I am not one who desires making a change to his firearm to shoot a particular shell.

Try different brands of buckshot/slugs and stick with those that cycle your Saiga. I stay away from commercial Magnum loads (higher buck count) due to my aforementioned experience and because I have more control with non magnum loads for a follow up shot.

Your 3" OO buck magnum loads probably have 15 pellets and weigh more than the 1 oz slug. So your observations regarding recoil are typical.

I ignore "dram" on the boxes. Dram originates back when black powder was used. With all the different powders, hull designs, and wad designs available to shooters today, I rely on psi for cycling and safety.

Edited by msrdiver

With the factory plug and spring, I shot Remington Magnum 4 Buck (41 .24cal pellets) today on setting 1, flawlessly. Also 3" standard 00 buck, and 2 3/4" BB. All cycled well.

see, thats what i don't get piwo. they both cycled perfectly after finding the right setting for the buck, 3 out of 6 on my settings while the slug was fine on the first setting. the buck kicked harder and still had to be on a more open gas port setting but the slugs worked just fine on 1 and felt much lighter. sorry to necro the thread but i've been away for a few days.

Yeah I set my DPH to 3 when shooting 00 Buck......