How do I remove 24mm fsb on 762x39 saiga 332 ?

Hey guys. Trying to swap out the 24mm 74type fsb that is on my saiga 332 762x39. It is the model that has the roll pins. I already drove out the 2 pins with a hammer and punch and figured it was the only thing holding it ( kinda akin to ar15 design) and it didn't come off by hand so I tried some hammer blows on each side and towards the muzzle end and I havent seen it budge at all. Is it threaded on , as I don't believe so since the replacement one is smooth on the inside, or will. I need a set of gear pullers and remove it that way ? Also will it slip fit on or will I have to press fit the new one on ? I won't need to drill for any cross pins as it's already matching for both FSB's. Ive already smashed the tip of my index finger with the 3lb sledge, so I'd like to find out the right way before I cause any more damage physically or monitarily lol.

Edited by mob

No they are not threaded on they are however press fit on so they can be a pain in the ass to get off. After you got the pins out all that is holding it on is the tight fit between the FSB and the barrel. The IZ 332 normally doesn't have the press welds that the IZ 132's have so you don't have to worry about that. If you do not plan on reusing the FSB then you can take a dremel and a cutting wheel and slowly cut a groove in the FSB parallel to the barrel but do not cut all the way to the barrel itself just get very close too it. Then take a flat head screwdriver and stick it in the groove and twist. If it doesn't crack open then go at it again with the dremel but very slowly as to not damage the barrel. Do this until it cracks the FSB. BUT if you want to keep the FSB then you have two main options. One is to go buy a press or find someone with a press and press it off (this is your best bet especially if you ever plan on installing/removing barrel components again or building/fixing ak's). Or the next option would be to throw some penetrating oil or liquid (WD40) inbetween the FSB and barrel and continue to hammer it off.

Regarding if the new one will slip on or press on depends on its inner diameter compared to the barrels'. Most of the time there needs to be around a .002 inch difference in the FSB and barrel for it to fit properly for example FSB=0.570 and Barrel=0.572 most of them though need to be press fit on even at .002 difference although I am not saying it isn't possible a lot of people have done it.

Why are you changing out the FSB anyway? And what are you replacing it with? 24mm threads allow for 74' style brakes which in my opinion work a lot better and are much "cooler" looking.

Changing out out cause my autobody guy knicked the rear threads and part of the site tower and I've got slight OCD when it comes to the fit and finish of my guns.

Changing out out cause my autobody guy knicked the rear threads and part of the site tower and I've got slight OCD when it comes to the fit and finish of my guns.

Does The brake still thread on? Weld up the cut in the sight tower( or solder) then paint it if it does

Edited by hutchsaiga