I bought a C-9 just for kicks, after all you can't beat a 9mm pistol for $180

I took it to the range yesterday and shot 6 different types of ammo through it and only had a few magazine related issues that I fixed by widening the lips.

Other then that it shot well and cycled well.

I'm going to get a 45 at the next gun show

• Like 2

Other than the fact they are uglier than shit they are a decent gun for the price. My Bro in law bought one for $100. a couple weeks ago that would lock the slide back after every shot. The spring was gone that activates the slide lock. Found a small spring and fires like a champ now.

There's my chief complaint with that whole family of weapons - difficulty of maintenance. They are also unnecessarily heavy. Yeah, they usually work. If they were overly heavy, blocky, low capacity, difficult to maintain, AND they jammed constantly, I doubt they'd be in business.

• Like 1

Dunno...never fired one. The ones I have handled (only) look and feel like something cast up and thrown together in some war-resistance-cell secret factory.

How about just shooting the shiet out of it for 1000 rounds and give us a report? We might even $chip$ in for ammo. I cain't speeel either. HB of CJ (old cooot) :)

I've got a 995Ts carbine that's been one of my favorite "fun guns" since I got it in '09. I've got well over 6000 rounds through it with minimal issues. HiPoint's warranty is the best out there, that I know of.

• Like 2

I have one of the 995TS carbines and its been a pretty good little gun. Picked up a couple of Promag gen 3 15 round mags, cheap BSA red dot came with it but works pretty good for a cheapo. Put a cheap bipod on it and a stubby front grip. Good starter carbine especially for girls cause it don't have much kick. Pretty accurate little bastard. Had a few stove pipes and double feeds in the begining but as it broke in it seems to have cured itself. It has had aprox 700 rounds through it to date. I lost one of the long receiver pins and called thier repair facility. I asked them to send me 2 of them so I had a spare. They said "no problem" and sent me 2 free of charge and even paid the shipping. Cant beat that.

post-39511-0-71245300-1336334641_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There's my chief complaint with that whole family of weapons - difficulty of maintenance. They are also unnecessarily heavy. Yeah, they usually work. If they were overly heavy, blocky, low capacity, difficult to maintain, AND they jammed constantly, I doubt they'd be in business.

i have the 9mm carbine and its light as hell and i have never had a jam. but on the other hand it does suck to take apart and clean. its like it wasnt ment to be cleaned..... ever.

There are a couple of hi-point threads that answer the original question pretty well.

I have the 995 carbine, and it is a fun category of gun, surprisingly accurate and was very reliable until the pressed in stud that acts as the nut for the charging handle worked its way out and bound with the receiver quite badly. i thought the gun was toast and was concerned for my safety. Once I got it apart, it was not really a big deal, but that part was not meant to move ever, even for cleaning...

I have mixed feelings about the gun. It is a good buy for the money and has served me well. It is cheap to shoot, and far better than the detractors make out. However, it always feels cheap, and there is always something else I would rather shoot. I look at the hi-point pistols and have the same feelings toward them. They go bang, and I don't feel like it would be dangerous to own, but for just a little bit more I could buy a gun that would not get "old". You can pick up some makarovs for ~$200 or other used pistols that just seem better. I know there are a bunch of used ruger 9mm pistols that worked well, but were not popular that tend to sell for cheap, so if you just want A Pistol, you can do better.

i have the 9mm carbine and its light as hell and i have never had a jam. but on the other hand it does suck to take apart and clean. its like it wasnt ment to be cleaned..... ever.

I'm thinking of bringing out a line of ammo with non flammable solvent in it so you can shoot and clean at the same time. This should work great for Hi-Point owners and lazy people like myself.

• Like 1

Hi Pernt quality is hit and miss at best.

Not a weapon I will risk my life owning.

They are a range or truck gun, not a good choice for either HD or CCW. I've owned several, had to go a bit of tweaking on the mag ears to get them to feed reliably, but once that was taken care of they ran 100%, ate everything I threw in them. I had a JCP .40 and a C9 Compensated model, ran probably 1k through the 9mm and 600 through the .40 before I sold them, actually got what I paid for them out of the deal. The guns have a lifetime warranty, the C9Comp was used and needed updated, I called the folks at HP and told them what I wanted, three days later I got the parts in the mail. Yep, most people agree the pistols are chunky and ugly, but they go bang and are accurate due to the fixed barrel.

I had two problems with their design...the use of the firing pin as the ejector is just idiotic and leads to a lot of bent firing pins, just watch the primers in your brass and you'll see when it's time to get another one sent to you. The second thing is the lack of a striker block safety isn't the best idea either, if the rear of the firing pin or the tip of the sear fails, it's going to fire a round if ones chambered, so not one you want to store like that.

If you want an inexpensive pistol with decent quality, pick up a S&W Sigma, I've carried one for about two years, have over 1k rounds through it and it's a breeze to tear down for cleaning too!

Edited by mogunner

My Dad has one of the .40sw pistols.... I hate the smell of the gun more than anything, it smells like a burning TV. He bought it for a self defense pistol for hunting, and was mostly wanting to upgrade from a knife, but for less than $200.. I tried to talk him into a glock or ruger, but he wanted cheap so he would not feel bad about losing it.

My take on cleaning them is that they should be clean when they look really grubby or feel really gritty... They are not made to come apart hundreds of times.

Dunno...never fired one. The ones I have handled (only) look and feel like something cast up and thrown together in some war-resistance-cell secret factory.

How about just shooting the shiet out of it for 1000 rounds and give us a report? We might even $chip$ in for ammo. I cain't speeel either. HB of CJ (old cooot) smile.png

I have seen a video on you tube where some guys did a meltdown test, I think they fired like 1000 rounds then started shooting crazy hot reloads trying to get it to blow up like people rumor all the time. They went so far as hammering a 3/8 bolt down the barrel to obstruct the barrel, clamped the action closed and remote fired it clamped in a vice, I think they did get a bulge in the barrel eventually, but it kept firing.

I've shot a few hi point 9mms, They seemed ok, didn't have any problems. I've read several articles in gun magazines that were all positive (of course I've never read a negative review in a gun mag either) and claimed they were more accurate than a lot of the competiton.

It is my opinion they are good cheap guns. Gun snobs hate cheap guns. People generally assume if somthing is cheap it is junk. So when someone rumors a cheap gun blows up in your face people think "thats what I thought it's cheap, it must be junk" and write it off. Mall Ninjas who pay 5000 for a custom 1911 want to justify thier purchase to themselves and thier friends so a 45 for 150 really makes them cringe.

here is the link to that video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

Actully this one is the one I remembered watching

Edited by bigdaddyhatty
  • Like 1

i have the 9mm carbine and its light as hell and i have never had a jam.

For a long time, mine never had a jam either, but when it started jamming suddenly, it did it on every magazine. (And the problem was not magazine-related, as I had four magazines for it which all starting doing the same thing). It fed one to two rounds every magazine nose up, requiring the mag to be removed for clearance. My confidence in it was rightly shattered and I sent it to Hi Point for the fix, then promptly sold it. Put the money toward a Saiga.

You get what you pay for. I see it as a modern day liberator pistol. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

I'm keeping my eye out for a nice used one for around 90-100 bucks. Every once in a while a local shop will sell new ones for 125.

A good pistol to have around as a backup tool or perhaps one to lend out to your neighbors or friends if the need should ever come up.

In a way, it's kinda like the AK of pistols. An inexpensive, somewhat dependable tool that does what it was intended to do with very little maintenance.

• Like 2

You get what you pay for. I see it as a modern day liberator pistol. http://en.wikipedia....FP-45_Liberator

find me a liberator for $100 and I'll pay for your drinks all WEEK. Hell, find me one for $500 and I'll be overjoyed

I'd like to see that as well. I was not claiming that you can find a liberator for a cheap price. It's original production was so cheap that they could be air dropped to the oppressed in an enemy territory. They are quite the collectors item and they even made a reproduction model. Vintage ordinance did a run of 1000 units that even had the boxes and icon instructions. They fetch around 500-700 dollars and you can fire them without worrying about it blowing up in your hand. The originals ones start at a grand, beaten all to hell and several thousand in the box and about as common as a hen's tooth as a complete kit.

My comparison is in the concept of producing a tool that could be of use to people in peril. A utilitarian weapon that is apparenty cheap as hell to produce.

Every home should have at least one firearm.

Anyway, I'd love to have a liberator some day. Just to remind my grand kids how important a firearm is.

• Like 1

Reasons I don't own one any more: The shitty roll pin disassembly and the recoil slap/shock of the 9mm I had was awful and felt like a snub nose .357 with less muzzle rise. It was too heavy and bulky to carry concealed too.

I got mine at a pawn shop for $100 with a 30 day return policy. I returned it after I tried to take it down to clean it and the roll pin would not come out.

Reliability was fine, but there are better options for the $200 range than Hi Point IMO - See Romy Tokarev or CZ82. Below that price point, there isn't anything decent in common calibers that can rival the Hi Point.

I was just looking at a conversion for the Hi Point pistol and carbine to 10mm.

It's interesting in a kind of... well, perverse sort of way. The carbine idea interests me a bit, the pistol not so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_qt0cUHG7zI[/media]

Edited by The Deacon
  • Like 1

Lets all be honest here, they have a bad rep because no one wants to admit a <$200 steaming ugly pile of a firearm can work just as good as a pretty a >$500 piece. Me included. Heres a little gun snob in me, i think they are just bad taste lol an the only way i would own one is if i was hunting for a piece during TEOTWAWKI and its what i found.

• Like 1

Not really interested in the pistols but am seriously contemplating a 995 or 4095 now that my wife has "requisitioned" my Ruger PC4 carbine. I was to the point where I didn't like running it at the range anymore anyway (because of wear and tear on an out of production item) and was using it strictly as a HD weapon.

As has been mentioned, either Hi-Point carbine would be an ideal weapon for women or inexperienced shooters that are helping you in a defensive situation.

I was just looking at a conversion for the Hi Point pistol and carbine to 10mm.

It's interesting in a kind of... well, perverse sort of way. The carbine idea interests me a bit, the pistol not so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_qt0cUHG7zI

I'd love to see how this Bubba-built creation holds up after firing ~2k rnds of even "warm" 10mm, let along proper full-power loads. My prediction is "not well".

You can't turn a firearm designed to fire .40 S&W into a reliable and safe 10mm by simply changing the chamber size. wink.png

Anyone who understands the cartridges involved should know that much.. but I guess Bubba and Bubba Jr. don't fall into that category. biggrin.png

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1