I dunno on that so much, I have a Mauser M2 that has been converted to 10MM and it's been running well for about a year and a half and about 600 rounds. It gets worked often for practice since it is my summer carry. Depends on the steel the chamber is made out of and skill level of the smith.

Would a hi point hold up? Damfino. But it still is a bit interesting.

I dunno on that so much, I have a Mauser M2 that has been converted to 10MM and it's been running well for about a year and a half and about 600 rounds. It gets worked often for practice since it is my summer carry. Depends on the steel the chamber is made out of and skill level of the smith.

Would a hi point hold up? Damfino. But it still is a bit interesting.

I hadn't personally heard of that before. I'll have to look up some more info on it. If you don't mind my asking, what type of 10mm ammo do you normally run in your M2? Part of the reason that I ask is that some firearm designs that have been "adapted" to 10mm, e.g. the Tangfolio EAA Witness 10mm, can't actually hold up to the stress that full-power 10mm, (and if you're not shooting that, it may as well be .40 S&W ;) ), i.e. 180gr @ 1300fps, puts on the gun.

Regardless, I'd have a lot more faith in that conversion than I would the Hi-Point, since you're starting with a higher-quality firearm to begin with.

Or maybe the Bubba'd Hi-Point will hold up fine but continue to have cycling issues and be uglier than the south end of a north-bound horse, as it does now. :D

It is good that people are at least trying things like this, though.

As has been mentioned, either Hi-Point carbine would be an ideal weapon for women or inexperienced shooters that are helping you in a defensive situation.

Until it starts suddenly feeding rounds nose-up, as mine did. Then it would not be ideal!

There are much better options available.

As has been mentioned, either Hi-Point carbine would be an ideal weapon for women or inexperienced shooters that are helping you in a defensive situation.

Until it starts suddenly feeding rounds nose-up, as mine did. Then it would not be ideal!

There are much better options available.

Judging by the majority of owner's replies though it appears pretty reliable overall. I sure wouldn't convert to 10mm though. I don't like the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 looks and the Beretta CX4 is way too pricy. Are there other inexpensive viable options?

BTW, did you get yours fixed? By Hi-Point or elsewhere? I hear their warranty service is second to none.

Judging by the majority of owner's replies though it appears pretty reliable overall. I sure wouldn't convert to 10mm though. I don't like the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 looks and the Beretta CX4 is way too pricy. Are there other inexpensive viable options?

The Kel Tec is reliable in my experience. A shame to exclude something on the basis of looks rather than function.

BTW, did you get yours fixed? By Hi-Point or elsewhere? I hear their warranty service is second to none.

Hi-Point. Their service was quiet satisfactory, though I would have liked an explanation of what the problem was, rather than just what parts they replaced or serviced.

When you hear people raving about a company's warranty service, that should be a clue that they probably have had to resort to it. I want my firearms repair person to be like this guy:

200px-Maytag_repairman.jpg

• Like 2

"You get what you pay for" is true to an extent, but there is a point where you can keep paying but your not getting any for your money. Jeff Quinn at Gunblast.com one time was giving a review where he mentioned in passing that Smith & Wesson's Anoconda and Cobra model revolvers were not a reliable as a lot of people talked about, most owners who said they were must have spent more time rubbing on them than shooting them. To me there is nothing you can do to a 1911 to make it worth $5000. And just because you pay $5000 doesn't mean it will never ever ever jam. I think about how prices have went up and it make me sick that a Mac 10 that used to cost $200 is now $3000 but the gun itself is no better for the price, it's still a $200 gun. Likewise an AK-47 that was stamped out for like $2 and used to cost $100 at roses is now $500. It's still the same gun.

Anyway, if you buy a $125 gun it is just that, but that doesn't mean it's junk, in fact it can be a much better value than some $500+ handguns out there.

• Like 2

as soon as i turned 21 i went and bought a hi-point .380. It was like $99. I misfeeds and jams just about every magazine from the time i bought it. Sounds like i could get it fixed. Wouldn't it cost me shipping, though? I don't want to sink a dime into that POS

"You get what you pay for" is true to an extent, but there is a point where you can keep paying but your not getting any for your money. Jeff Quinn at Gunblast.com one time was giving a review where he mentioned in passing that Smith & Wesson's Anoconda and Cobra model revolvers were not a reliable as a lot of people talked about, most owners who said they were must have spent more time rubbing on them than shooting them. To me there is nothing you can do to a 1911 to make it worth $5000. And just because you pay $5000 doesn't mean it will never ever ever jam. I think about how prices have went up and it make me sick that a Mac 10 that used to cost $200 is now $3000 but the gun itself is no better for the price, it's still a $200 gun. Likewise an AK-47 that was stamped out for like $2 and used to cost $100 at roses is now $500. It's still the same gun.

Anyway, if you buy a $125 gun it is just that, but that doesn't mean it's junk, in fact it can be a much better value than some $500+ handguns out there.

It's not that the gun went up in price, it's that the dollar went down in value! That's another thread though. Inflation...........aaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh
  • Like 1

Get used to inflation. It is how we get rid of the National Debt. Re-Fi the mortgage now while the rates are under 4%, and stock up on ammo. Double digit inflation is just beyond the coming election.

• Like 1

as soon as i turned 21 i went and bought a hi-point .380. It was like $99. I misfeeds and jams just about every magazine from the time i bought it. Sounds like i could get it fixed. Wouldn't it cost me shipping, though? I don't want to sink a dime into that POS

Yes, you would have to pay shipping so there is a problem if you don't want to put any more money into it. I'd offer to buy it but plan on a Kel-Tec 380.

Get used to inflation. It is how we get rid of the National Debt. Re-Fi the mortgage now while the rates are under 4%, and stock up on ammo. Double digit inflation is just beyond the coming election.

Problem is, the current administration seems determined to purposefully initiate said double digit inflation.

The Kel Tec is reliable in my experience. A shame to exclude something on the basis of looks rather than function.

Hi-Point. Their service was quiet satisfactory, though I would have liked an explanation of what the problem was, rather than just what parts they replaced or serviced.

When you hear people raving about a company's warranty service, that should be a clue that they probably have had to resort to it. I want my firearms repair person to be like this guy:

200px-Maytag_repairman.jpg

Excellent points but others here have completely dismissed Hi-Points because they're a bit homely. OK, ugly. As to outstanding reliability, that's not my primary concern because I'm wanting it as a "range only" plinker (probably in 9mm to save money on ammo) not for HD use unless as a last resort. I've got several other weapons that are all HD worthy and get rotated out as such. Right now my Mosin Nagant is the only one that doesn't see any defensive duty and I'm sure it's lonely and could use some company.

As to Kel-Tec in general, I have nothing against them other than they seem to rush some products (PF9, RFB, PMR30) into production before debugging them enough. I have two newer PF9s that are my primary carry guns and I've had zero problems with them. Some of the earlier ones did have numerous issues though. Kel-Tec is also known for excellent warranty work too, by the way.

Edited by TacticoolTim

One of the firefighters I work with won a Hi Point in a gun raffle. He thought it was junk until he took it out and shot it because I dared him to try it. Other than the balance being off for most people the gun shoots just fine. Not as accurate as some others, but you'll have that with some guns. For the money you copuld buy 3 or 4 of them for what you'll spend on just one gun. Might be a solution for someone wanting several firearms, but not a big budget. Hell, if it jammed just throw it at em and grab another. big_smile.gif

Dunno...never fired one. The ones I have handled (only) look and feel like something cast up and thrown together in some war-resistance-cell secret factory.

How about just shooting the shiet out of it for 1000 rounds and give us a report? We might even $chip$ in for ammo. I cain't speeel either. HB of CJ (old cooot) smile.png

I have seen a video on you tube where some guys did a meltdown test, I think they fired like 1000 rounds then started shooting crazy hot reloads trying to get it to blow up like people rumor all the time. They went so far as hammering a 3/8 bolt down the barrel to obstruct the barrel, clamped the action closed and remote fired it clamped in a vice, I think they did get a bulge in the barrel eventually, but it kept firing.

I've shot a few hi point 9mms, They seemed ok, didn't have any problems. I've read several articles in gun magazines that were all positive (of course I've never read a negative review in a gun mag either) and claimed they were more accurate than a lot of the competiton.

It is my opinion they are good cheap guns. Gun snobs hate cheap guns. People generally assume if somthing is cheap it is junk. So when someone rumors a cheap gun blows up in your face people think "thats what I thought it's cheap, it must be junk" and write it off. Mall Ninjas who pay 5000 for a custom 1911 want to justify thier purchase to themselves and thier friends so a 45 for 150 really makes them cringe.

here is the link to that video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

Actully this one is the one I remembered watching

[media=]

[/media]

Is the trash can on your head a must while shooting one of these pistols?

Edited by chillywig
  • Like 1

"You get what you pay for" is true to an extent, but there is a point where you can keep paying but your not getting any for your money. Jeff Quinn at Gunblast.com one time was giving a review where he mentioned in passing that Smith & Wesson's Anoconda and Cobra model revolvers were not a reliable as a lot of people talked about, most owners who said they were must have spent more time rubbing on them than shooting them.

Anaconda and Cobra are made by Colt, as is the well known Python.

Edited by RedChallenger

"You get what you pay for" is true to an extent, but there is a point where you can keep paying but your not getting any for your money. Jeff Quinn at Gunblast.com one time was giving a review where he mentioned in passing that Smith & Wesson's Anoconda and Cobra model revolvers were not a reliable as a lot of people talked about, most owners who said they were must have spent more time rubbing on them than shooting them.

Anaconda and Cobra are made by Colt, as is the well known Python.

Pardon me, I mis-spoke. Colt is what I meant.

Hi Points=

Nose up feeds or double feeds= narrow front mag ears, sometimes the front of the rear ears but not usually.

Nose down= widen front mag ears.

Whoever makes their mags sucks at it. The Hi Point Firearms Forums use specs that I worked out on the mag ears for the .40, but when the website was sold out from under all us old regulars, we all complained and were quickly banned for daring to bitch, so I changed the location of all my photos on photobucket that were used in the reference stickies, so all anyone got was the little white square with the "oops, the pic aint there anymore" note. Got a couple of emails asking me to come back as a mod, wasn't going to happen.

I sold my Hi Points for two reasons. One was the firing pin being used as the ejector. It often results in a bent firing pin, and if the firing pin channel gets gunked up enough that the pin can't slide back, then you'll get a slam fire with the round about halfway into the chamber. That and the fact that the safety on them blocks the sear from dropping, not the striker, so if the tip of the sear or the rear of the firing pin fails, it WILL fire. Other than that they were accurate and reliable once I took care of the mags.