I ran into another one of “those guys” yesterday. The guys who claim they were Navy SEALS.

I guess with the SEALs being in the news, and the Act of Valor movie there is a fresh crop.

And in case there is any confusion by the title, no I’m not claiming I was a SEAL. I was a regular old Jarhead.

• Like 3
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a great deal of respect for everyone who serves their country in any capacity from cooks to the most badassed warrior types.   I have no respect for liars who make what are usually wild ass c

I ran into another one of “those guys” yesterday. The guys who claim they were Navy SEALS.   I guess with the SEALs being in the news, and the Act of Valor movie there is a fresh crop.   And in c

All the service branches that have SOCOM assets that "fly under the radar" so to speak. They also all have different skill sets. SEALs were primarily a maritime asset from the start for boarding ene

If their locals that I might see again I ask to see their DD Form 214, that tends to get anything from a blank stare to some back peddling, but no ones ever brought one in. Seals must not get them.

I ran into another one of “those guys” yesterday. The guys who claim they were Navy SEALS.

I guess with the SEALs being in the news, and the Act of Valor movie there is a fresh crop.

And in case there is any confusion by the title, no I’m not claiming I was a SEAL. I was a regular old Jarhead.

No such thing as a "regular Marine"

Semper Fi

USN 83-89

I have always found there is an inverse relationship to how much a person talks about what they did and who they are to what they actually did and who they actually are. Wannabe's equate combat with movies and games. People who have experienced the Horror of combat have no need to have their memories refreshed. I always push the DD214 also -- anything to stop these idiots from tarnishing the military's honor.

Proudly served as a heavy junk Op for 4 years with the USMC! no more, no less!

ACCOUNTABILITY!!!! Report fakes and posers!

http://www.stolenvalor.com/

I was a Seal too! And right after i got out i joined the Mossad and finally retired from the Foreign Legion after 7 years and im only 32!!!! :)

I especially like the guys who look like they live in KFC but claim to be commandos.

• Like 1

I can't tell you all what I may or may not have been. In fact, I've already said too much. They offered me the Seals but it wasn't challenging enough so I went to that other super secret thing that I can't talk about. We were the ones who came running when the Seals called 911. That is, if we even existed, which we didn't. Shhhh. 000.gif

• Like 2

I can't tell you all what I may or may not have been. In fact, I've already said too much. They offered me the Seals but it wasn't challenging enough so I went to that other super secret thing that I can't talk about. We were the ones who came running when the Seals called 911. That is, if we even existed, which we didn't. Shhhh. 000.gif

Man you where one of theses guys?

2011-mallninja-redacted2-small.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, that was us right on the tail of Bin Laden back in 2004. I guess I can tell you now. We were called "The Naked Few"

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 3

I think they have a special team that hunt people who claim to be SEALS..so secret it dosen't even have a number..I think they call first and ask a few questions... before outing you...or worse. (local man had to print a confession in the areas newspaper) Yes it really happened.

haha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gif I always wondered where the term "Commando" came from now I know!

I imagine former Navy Seals probably don't go around boasting of their former status.

Bingo. I knew a few when I was affiliated with the Gator Navy and the fact is most of the ones I knew you'd never guess they were team members. The stereotype is tall, muscular, strapping young lads but these guys could just as easily be admin types etc. and none of them would volunteer to talk about it.

You'll talk, but usually only to those who've BTDT and can understand.

The flyboys talk quite a bit, but that's understandable. They're 20,000ft above the action.

I had one hell of an evening with a bunch of Marine jet jockeys at Meridian NAS's Officer Club.

I was there attending a class at RCTA and they were dodging an east coast hurricane.

The Marine flybys and us U/C cops got along famously!

I seem to recall SPs showing up at some point during the evening.......

• Like 1

its usually the product of too many video games and hollywood glorifying combat. seems like theres a lot of seals in circulation these days...ive noticed that the guys that usually make these claims are the same type that have to one up everyone else... douchebags.

The stereotype is tall, muscular, strapping young lads but these guys could just as easily be admin types etc. and none of them would volunteer to talk about it.

Tall guys pass BUDS less often than shorter guys. But the few SEALS I've met were still in pretty good shape well after they left active duty. The Navy tries to recuit guys who are highly competetive athletes.

Everyone in the Special Operations Community regardless of which branch of service they are, are regarded as "Silent Professionals". That means they do not "kiss and tell" at the bars and clubs to get pussy or impress mall ninjas. If you come across the guy again, call him out, ask his name, then check it out on veriseal.org. Tell him you are going to run his name through that website. See what the reaction is. Then you'll know for sure. The only SEALs I worked with wouldn't be talking shit to some random civilian.

As a ship's diver, I had the opportunity and pleasure to meet and hang out with a group of SEALS in Norfolk in the late 70's. i got along very well with them because I didn't treat them differently and had the wisdom to know that when conversations turned in certain directions it was time for me to go get another round or feed the jukebox. One axiom that I quickly learned from my experience - whenever someone identifies himself to you as a SEAL without a prolonged period of interaction - chances are that he is NOT.

I imagine former Navy Seals probably don't go around boasting of their former status.

Exactly. They're usually the most quiet and controlled people in the room.

The ones who don't start shit in bars.. but if forced to, will most definitely finish it.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I've had the chance to talk with and observe the real deal a few times. As was said already, the vast majority are unassuming (i.e. not muscle bound, Viking looking types). They have obsolutely no need to try and impress anyone anywhere, except the enemy. But by the time the enemy would be impressed, they're more than likely already dead.

• Like 1

The conversation was about firearms (one of my favorite topics) and this guy was showing his ignorance. He didn't know what caliber an M16 is. Somebody mentioned to him that I was a Marine. Without hesitation he piped up that he was a SEAL.

I cut the conversation short.

He's a customer of ours and it's best for our company if I just let it go. Nobody's going to believe his crap anyway.

• Like 1