is 1 in 8" to loose for a 14" barrel? (considering cutting)

Once I'm done with all of my corrosive ammo I'm not getting any more, so I was thinking of having the barrel cut and the sight + comp welded to a total of 17 or so. (I wouldn't want to shoot corrosive if I can't remove the comp to clean out the expansion chamber)

I'm just concerned to avoid keyholing or any other headache.

What sez yall?

whoops: I should qualify this is NOT a Saiga barrel; Saiga owners are simply better to ask.

Edited by man-at-arms

i dont see 14" being a problem with 1:8 twist. if you went under 10" then it may better to have a faster twist to better stabalize the bullets., but with that said, you may want to measure the FSB to see if taking off 2" of barrel and putting the FSB back on in proper position wont interefere wth the GB. and it would be wise to not run corrosive through it after you weld it together.

what kind of rifle?

From expirence I can tell you that taking off 2.5 inches of barrel on a 5.45 saiga and welding on a break worked fine for me and had no problems. No keyholing no shift in impact shot the same as before.

• 2 months later...

From expirence I can tell you that taking off 2.5 inches of barrel on a 5.45 saiga and welding on a break worked fine for me and had no problems. No keyholing no shift in impact shot the same as before.

You didn't have to open up the gas ports?

Guys-

If anyone can comment on whether I might be under-gassed, I'd be grateful.

Edited by man-at-arms

No problems means no problems. No port work at all. you sound as if you don't belive me so here are some pics. 1 the gun. 2 the gun smoking from rapid firing 3 the group wit a red dot at 50 yards. Any more questions?

post-26626-0-45982300-1342746168.jpg

post-26626-0-50945300-1342746185.jpg

post-26626-0-31626800-1342746199.jpg

Edited by rogers

The rail is a tws dogleg gen 2. it is a great mount and holds zero well. the front sight gas block is one i made myself out of the original sight block. you can check out my thread on how to do the front sight gas block here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/75929-free-gas-block-sight-combo/

there are some better pics in the link as well. just make sure whoever cuts and threads the barrel for you knows what they are doing. it is not that hard but the threads have to be done correctly for the brake to be aligned with the barrel. i would definitely run a dowel down the barrel to make sure a bullet will not strike the break as it leaves the barrel just to be safe. although i would expect the gunsmith to do this before he welds the break on. good luck with you project i hope it turns out like you want it to.