Diff between .223 and 5.45

what differances are there between the .223 and 5.45 Saiga rifles? from what i have been hearing on this site is that you can shoot the 5.45 round out of the .223 rifle without any issue...has anyone shot 5.45 out of their .223 Saiga with any good or bad results?

Edited by shootsmuch

YOU CANNOT SHOOT 5.45 x 39 THROUGH THE .223 SAIGA

You will damage the gun at the very least or hurt yourself or worse.

You can shoot 5.56 x 45 (Very close to .223)

5.56 x 45 Nato is nearly identical shape to .223 and it is safe to shoot this in Saiga's chambered in .223

Other .223 rifles may not shoot 5.56 x 45 safely.

5.45 x 39 is a completely different round. If you meant 5.56 well I'm sorry but I don't want anyone to get hurt.

Edited by TheMantis
  • Like 3

Yeah ... uh 5.45 won't even chamber in a Saiga 223. The round is completely different. 5.56 on the other hand will chamber and will fire safely. Actually I wish they had never stamped "223" on the friggin' things. I think it is more appropriate to say that the IZ-110 and IZ-114 are both chambered in 5.56x45mm NATO, but you can shoot Remington .223 in them. As opposed to the other way around.

i apologize, in my haste i typed 5.45, but i ment to say 5.56, damn metric system!. Has anyone had any good or bad accuracy experiance with shooting 5.56 out of their guns? i seem to remember one poster stating his accuarcy suffered shooting 5.56 out of his .223?

I thought so; therefore, please regard my picture above as for irrelevant "curiosity-only" comparison.

According to RAAC response, .223 Saigas are suitable for use with 5.56 NATO ammunition.

See this "sticky" on .223 Forum: http://forum.saiga-1...your-223-saiga/

I believe this should answer your question, even though could be argued by some Saiga owners:

http://en.wikipedia..../.223_Remington

Using commercial .223 Remington cartridges in a 5.56mm NATO chambered rifle should work reliably, but generally will not be as accurate as when fired from a .223 Remington chambered gun due to the longer leade.[9] Using 5.56mm NATO mil-spec cartridges (such as the M855) in a .223 Remington chambered rifle can lead to excessive wear and stress on the rifle and even be unsafe, and the SAAMI recommends against the practice.[10][11] Some commercial rifles marked as ".223 Remington" are in fact suited for 5.56mm NATO, such as many commercial AR-15 variants and the Ruger Mini-14, but the manufacturer should always be consulted to verify that this is acceptable before attempting it, and signs of excessive pressure (such as flattening or gas staining of the primers) should be looked for in the initial testing with 5.56mm NATO ammunition.[12]

And on 5.56:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56

Edited by Sgt. Raven

I've been told that the only difference are the interior case dimensions (capacity caused by wall thickness). I've reloaded both with the same dies and noticed no negligible difference.

I shoot both with no noticable difference. Accuracy seems to be the same.

The only noticeable differences to me are the larger fireball, and more blast and noise from the hotter-loaded 5.56. That and the slightly different point of impact.