SC/NC Summer Shoot

I'd be willing to drive a distance to get together, do some shootin, tell some lies and eat some BBQ. If a location could be found somewhere in between both SC and NC boys could attend (and anyone else who'd want to show).

Maybe sometime before Summer's over, any interest?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be willing if a good spot can be located.

I dunno but if it's like it is around here, finding a spot might be tough. A private spot would be best but I don't know anyone who has one...maybe a centrally located public range and, not that many have expressed interest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well there's been some interest. I guess the thing to do is search in earnest for an outdoor range that would allow us to do what we like to do. If you are interested please look for some likely suspects. I can tell you that there isn't much here in the Low Country except the two ranges in the national forest. Which wouldn't be bad but it's by no means centrally located. Check it out and post up any possibilities you might find.

Yeah there's one in Edgefield off of I-20. Hard part is it's a 2 hour trip from the coast. But then again something worth doing is never easy. I would suggest we pick one, set a date and go for it. I can get to Clinton or Twin ponds any Saturday in August except the 4th.

Having thought about this and researched it by pinpointing on a map of SC every public (National Forests-Parks) outdoor range and quite a few commercial ranges the problem I see is not the travel time to get there, it's the coming back. I used to go to Carolina Dragway in your neck of the woods which was quite a drive from Chas. The going was no problem, but driving back at 1 or 2AM was rough. And, having a long trip looming tends to dampen my enthusiasm throughout the day. I have no problem with a long drive, I really don't but two long drives in the same day tends to suck.

What would be ideal, at least in my opinion would be a situation where on Day 1, arrive whenever you want shoot the gun and the shit at a leisurely pace and then camp, sit around the fire, tell lies etc. Get a nights sleep, get up and shoot or get up and go, whatever. And this might allow those who live further away to attend since some distances would just be impossible all in one day.

Sounds great right, well, the big damn problem is, where? It would just about require private land somewhere. And the where wouldn't really matter to me at least if permission was received along with an assurance given the spot would be left as it was found. I'd be willing to help setup and tear down, clean up, whatever.

ADD: I was responding mainly to Dad's post and didn't see the other two responses. Yeah, like I said, I looked at every public range in the state and I wouldn't have a problem driving to any of them even the ones in the upstate. But as I say above, two long drives on one day...ugh! But that's just me and I wouldn't want what I like or don't like to have a disproportionate influence (not that it would). I just got totally burned out on 18-20 hour days "having fun" when I was on a drag racing team.

I just did some poking around and I found at least one campground in Irmo that allows tents. A little surprised at this I've seen many campgrounds that only allow motorhomes and trailers....this might be a possibility. Still, the best thing would be private land...I have about a half acre but a house takes up most of it and there's no shooting allowed... ;o)

Edited by Squishy

Squishy, thanks for getting this stirred up. Looks like we are all SC boys, and scattered from up here to down your way. So, looks like a couple of hours is all that any of us are looking at to meet up. I'm definitely game, but with a parent with dementia, I never know what's going to happen on the weekend, but I will definitely give it my best shot to pull it off. I agree, private land would be best, but if a range could be found and with camping nearby, or even a decent motel within close proximity. I'll keep my ear to the ground.

I have private land to shoot on, but the problem is that they only let me shoot there...liability issues and such. I have no problem driving a couple of hours to hook up with y'all. It would be nice to make it an annual event!

Something we might want to look into later on down the road, is maybe finding a few acres where they are still cheap, and pooling our resources and money to maybe start our own shooting/camping weekends...but I am getting ahead of myself. But I know of folks that do thtat for hunting camps, so while we are trying to get the first one off of the ground, lets think and look for long term also.

Y'all, it's late...sorry I haven't been on this week, been a rough week in the Q.A./Q.C game...at least at my place of employment! Everyone, have a great weekend and hopefully, something will open up!!

Well actually since I posted last I've come up with a couple of possibilities. But I'll have to do more checking but what I'm shooting for is private land where the shooting and camping can happen all on the same site. As for liability I'll have to check into that but one possibility is using waivers which is what drag strips do for crew, drivers and other non spectators. Like I said, I have a couple of things in mind and they happen to be closer to the mid state so no one would have to drive too far. If the site works out though and we can get it for a couple of days I'd like to think people further away would attend. I'd assume it would be open to anyone from the board if they want to come. Hell, maybe some Yankees would show up. naaaa.gif

Also, if one site I have in mind works out which has a lot of open space I think it would be worth talking about maybe a tactical course of some kind. Maybe not full blown three gun but something other than standing at a firing line.

We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Keep me in the loop Squishy and Uncle Jake. I'm still interested.

Will do. I have an idea for a spot that would be great but I'm having a hard time getting a hold of the right person. I'm hoping the owners are "gun people".

• 3 months later...

I'd like to shoot with you gents.

Well what I had in mind didn't work out. I should have waited until I had a better idea of what was possible before bringing it up. The Palmetto Shooters Forum is having a fall shoot December 1rst at Philson's Crossroads Rifle Range in the Sumter national forest.

The thread for it is here;

http://www.palmettoshootersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4917

Maybe something else will work out for us here next year.