I ve read people do this on the SGMT’s, this would give a higher spring tension but would you all recommend a standard 10 round stick (I had a JTE magwell) or a 12 rounder cut down to a 10? I want the mag(s) for HD and want the best reliability from this brand at a 10 shotshell count.

Wouldn’t the higher spring tension (12 to 10 rounder conversion) deform the top shot shell when stored for a prolonged period?

What do you use for you long term HD mags?

I'm pretty sure they use the same spring in the 10 and 12 rounders. Maybe even the 8 rounders, but I haven't bought actual 8 round mags yet, I don't think. I've only converted a bunch of 12 rounders a few years ago. The first couple I did, I shortened the spring a few coils. The rest were left as is. I've yet to see a difference in reliability between them.

I assume the shorter spring will decrease the pressure against the bottom of the bolt by the top round. But I haven't seen a difference really. Maybe if there were gas issues or rough actions on a new Shotgun, the lighter spring would help a little?

Here's a vid I did a few years back on converting a 12 rounder to an 8. It'd be the same for 10 rounds, just cut at the lower rib.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agplh1RDrrk&feature=g-upl

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 2

I cut a couple down to two rounds for hunting, and shortened the springs.. It was cheaper to get the ten rounders on sale than it was to pay for the two rounders.

Do you all use any mags for HD (Home Defense)?

Yes, the factory 5 round mag, loaded up with Fiocci #4 nickel plated 27 pellet buckshot. Backed up by a whole bunch of 10 round SGM mags. (My judge sleeps beside me though.)

My HD SGM 12 or SGM 10 with 27 pellet #4 buck. Fast follow up shot, high stopping power, less penetration through walls.

SGM has said they use the same spring for 12 10 and 8 shot magazines.

I have had flawless reliability with 2 3/4" All but flawless with 3" (when I was tuning my gas system and probably cycling hot enough for rebound to be an issue, the bolt outran the first shell off of a full mag of 3", I was able to reproduce the problem twice. Contrast this with hundreds of flawless cycles from the 12 shot mags before I gave the gun so much gas. Problem is probably solved right now, but I haven't tested enough to know to a certainty.)

Even so, with any mag I have used, there are less feed errors than I have experienced with any pump gun.

Another vote for factory mag for HD. If you can get one, and afford one, the factory 8 rounder is superb. While my SGM mags work wonderfully, I really like having steel feed lips on my HD mags.

• Like 2

Look up the thread DistalRadius did on xrays he performed on factory Izhmash mags. Note the internal steel reinforcements embedded in the polymer, on critical points on the magazine. Think of possible scenarios in which magazine failure might result from breakage at those points, on SGMs, AGPs, etc- striking the bottom of the mag on the corner of a wall or furniture while moving quickly under stress, for example. Mike Davidson has similar reinforcement in his drums, but as of yet, none of the available US-made polymer stick magazines do.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some AGPs too, but they aren't what go in my gun for non-fun use. YMMV.

Look up the thread DistalRadius did on xrays he performed on factory Izhmash mags. Note the internal steel reinforcements embedded in the polymer, on critical points on the magazine. Think of possible scenarios in which magazine failure might result from breakage at those points, on SGMs, AGPs, etc- striking the bottom of the mag on the corner of a wall or furniture while moving quickly under stress, for example. Mike Davidson has similar reinforcement in his drums, but as of yet, none of the available US-made polymer stick magazines do.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some AGPs too, but they aren't what go in my gun for non-fun use. YMMV.

Do you all use any mags for HD (Home Defense)?

My vote for the best HD mag is a factory mag.

Factory is definitely the way to go but the 5 rounders leaves me desiring more round count. Id love the 8 rounder but the sources ive seen are depleted on their stock and dont re-up :/

A plus for the Izzy 8 to me is that it actually holds 9 rounds. 8 can be loaded on a closed bolt. The other plus is the strength, the quality is unmatched.

Where did u get yours?

From a member here in the want to sell section. But stay out of there....everything there is all mine! muahaha!anger.gif JK smile.png

A plus for the Izzy 8 to me is that it actually holds 9 rounds. 8 can be loaded on a closed bolt. The other plus is the strength, the quality is unmatched.

Where did u get yours?

From a member here in the want to sell section. But stay out of there....everything there is all mine! muahaha!anger.gif JK smile.png

XD