Any difference in gas system between 12S and 12K?

Greetings,

I recently purchased a brand new Saiga 12 but unfortunately only model S, with long barrels where available. I would like to shorten the barrel to 12K standard, it means 43 sm-s. I tried to search for info on barrel shortening but was unable to find answer on simply question: do I need to alter gas system after shortening a barrel? I think the best place to ask about Saiga 12 is this place smile.png Actually I want to shorten it to 46 sm and wonder if I have to do something more than just chop off the barrel? Any advises links to useful thread will be highly appreciated.

Thanx in advance

ps

Plz note that there are no legal restrictions on barrel shortening, in place where I live.

Edited by Levan9X19

S and K have nothing to do with the gas system. They make the same gun in S and K. K means The trigger-and-firing mechanism blocking allows delivering fire only when the buttstock is unfolded. S 's has No blocking of the trigger-and-firing mechanism.

S and K have nothing to do with the gas system. They make the same gun in S and K. K means The trigger-and-firing mechanism blocking allows delivering fire only when the buttstock is unfolded. S 's has No blocking of the trigger-and-firing mechanism.

If they have different barrel lengths then yes gas ports are diiferent.

If he's going to a 430mm (16.929) length gas system will need work.

Yes if his barrel is long the gas ports are differant then the short barrel, but that still has nothing to do with k or s.

The thread question is Any difference in gas system

Reread the topic

S and k has nothing to do with barrel length or gas system.

Edited by havok

Yes if his barrel is long the gas ports are differant then the short barrel, but that still has nothing to do with k or s.

The thread question is Any difference in gas system

Reread the topic

S and k has nothing to do with barrel length or gas system.

I guess you need to read why the K has a need for the trigger locking block when the stock is closed.

So you see it has everything to do with barrel length.

It's because russian law requires short barrel K model(430mm) so russian civilian's can not fire when folded

The longer S model (520mm), with no trigger block, has a differrent gas port configuration.

where do you live?

Georgia, but not in a state wink.png

Thanx for reply, the link in the first post was very informative.

I think I will leave the barrel as it is. Shotgun was properly zeroed out of the box and works reliably with light loads and even light reloads which we use for practice in our pump shotguns. It will be sad if I will ruin this reliability.

by difference I meant size and number of gas ports or any other differences which I should address after shortening a barrel. Thats because if nothing has to be redone I will shorten the barrel. If a have to alter the gas system than I will certainly leave the shotgun as it is.

Edited by Levan9X19
  • 5 weeks later...

Greetings,

I recently purchased a brand new Saiga 12 but unfortunately only model S, with long barrels where available. I would like to shorten the barrel to 12K standard, it means 43 sm-s. I tried to search for info on barrel shortening but was unable to find answer on simply question: do I need to alter gas system after shortening a barrel? I think the best place to ask about Saiga 12 is this place smile.png Actually I want to shorten it to 46 sm and wonder if I have to do something more than just chop off the barrel? Any advises links to useful thread will be highly appreciated.

Thanx in advance

ps

Plz note that there are no legal restrictions on barrel shortening, in place where I live.

My personal experience is that two of the three of my own S-12's cut to 16" ,did not need the gas ports opened at all and both guns run high and low brass on the proper gas settings. One of my S-12's did need the gas ports opened, but I only opened them to .076 after I test fired it to see if it would run or not. I beleive in most cases, if you don't go any shorter than the factory 16.9 inches of the Saiga-12K, you will likely not need to open the gas ports. What most people do on this site, is cut thier barrels so short that one has no choice but open the gas ports. That's probably why so little info is posted on factory gas port size in relation to the S-12K. That's my 2 pennies. 032.gif Edited by macaholic