Rock Island 1911... Any good ?

I DO NOT own one nor have I shot one, but this is one that I have been thinking about picking up my self.

m1911-a1fs-45-tact-parker-vzgrips_51485.jpg

The VZ Grip model is the ultimate Tactical 2011. It includes 2-dot adjustable rear LPA sights, tru-glo high visibility front sights, front and back wide-angled slide serrations, tactical rail and the new VZ Grip. For around 600$ how can you go wrong ?

• Like 1

I had a tactical version (Citadel) at everything never malfunctioned and never cleaned. But they are cast and mim parts so in theory they arnt as durable as forged and machined

I've shot a couple and they're fine. Shoots like any other 1911 for 1/2 the price.

I recently bought a High Standard which is produced by the same company (Armscor) Put 200 rds through it the 1st day with no problems.

1911s.jpg

Edited by Snoofer Inc.

I don't have one but I would not hesitate to buy a Rock. I have been a 1911 guy for 30 years. 40 years if you count wanting one as a child. The worry about the frame being cast is not based on actual failures. Just on the theory that if might fail. A theory which evidence doesn't support.

I have read many reviews on many forums and these are good quality pistols. Especially the more recent ones.

RIA has a lifetime warranty. And they back it up.

• Like 1

I have owned one for several years, and would not be without it!!! I have the GI model ($349 at the time) and it has yet to fail me. AT least 7-800 rounds through it. The parts will interchange with a Colt 1911. It's a hell of a pistol!! Hope to have a tactical one day, but may just pick up another GI and spend the extra money on mags.

Whats kind of $$ are you looking at? They've been going up in price and getting to the point where they are no longer an economical 1911. For a few $100 more you can get something much better.

Whats kind of $$ are you looking at? They've been going up in price and getting to the point where they are no longer an economical 1911. For a few $100 more you can get something much better.

They are anywhere from 450 to 600 I have seen a lot of 1911's for sale but not at that price

Edited by pony_express1973

For a few hundred more you can get one that looks a little nicer and possibly is a little nicer. But for that same few hundred dollars you can get a holster, extra mags, and a bunch of ammo.

It really depends on your priorities.

Its not just looks. A 1911 is a type of gun not a company. Many companies make one not all are equal. Id much rather have one that is not poor quality cast metal. But like i said i had one never had problems but i also didnt run it hard with thousands of rounds

• Like 1

I own a Colt, but my father recently purchased a Rock Island.

It's had some minor work done, the guy that owned it had the feed ramp and throat polished. I checked it out, the frame is dead-on with my Colt frame. When and IF any of the parts wear out, we will simply replace them with Colt parts. I've fired it a few times, no problems, and I wouldn't mind owning one myself.

I've done quite a bit of work with 1911s and I can't find anything wrong with Rock Islands with the exception of parts quality, shoot it until it wears out and replace the parts with higher quality parts, as long as the frame is good there is nothing wrong with a Rock Island as a good working gun that you can carry without worrying about damaging the finish on a nicer weapon like a Colt or Springfield...

Still loving my G.I. that I picked up. My only complaints are that the firing pin channel had rust in it, despite being drenched in rust inhibitor (the humidity of the Philippines most likely to blame) and the stock grip safety is a little short. There's a gap at the bottom large enough that you can see the hammer strut and sear spring. Not a big deal IMO, but could potentially allow a lot of dirt to get tracked through the mainspring housing. -shrugs- I like mine!