Painting Siaga 5.45

Hey guys,

I officially finished my saiga and I want to paint parts of it as some of it is scratched and my muzzle brake and FSB are both used and have scratches and are a slightly different color. I want to keep it black like it is from factory, what type of paint should I buy? Will normal spray paint work? I know barrels get freaking hot and figured that would affect the type of paint I apply.

Thanks in advance!!

Look what I say in post #32 within this thread----> VHT paint ( brand name " Very High Temperature ") , GM satin black,code SP-139,has CERAMIC...about $8 a can.

See also embedded pics of my Beretta pistol done this way...and the other embedded links to AK style guns in post #34.

http://www.akfiles.c...ad.php?t=108897

Edited by IPSC45

After finishing my 5.45 build I also used the same Dupicolor as mentioned above and it looked awesome. The problem I ran into was using some gun scrubber after a day at the range and some of it got on the receiver. The gun scrubber took some of the finish off so I ended up painting it again using Duracoat. So far nothing I've cleaned it with has affected the finish. Good luck and enjoy.

Good report on the Duracoat. As I mention in the other thread...I found this quote on the internet when doing a search for firearms finishes. --->

===================

" If you are looking at a very durable bake on finish, you could try some of the Hi-temp auto paint. A buddy of mine told me about this paint; he said after it is cured (baked) it is indestructible. So I bought a can and did a test, I found a scrap piece of steel under my workbench, sandblasted it, cleaned it, then sprayed it with paint. I read the instructions on the can & it said to let the paint dry for overnight. So the next day I got out my gas smoker fired it up to 200 degrees, I hung the painted steel in the smoker and set the timer for 30 min.

After that 30 min. past I took the steel out and hung it to cool. After it was cool I put it to the test, I sprayed it with gun scrubber let sit for a few min. then wiped off---finish was still there. Then I used acetone on it, still there, then I poured some acetone in a pan & let to soak for an hour, picked from its bath and wiped real hard with a rag, the paint remained as if I had never touched it.

So I figured if it could hold up to that, it would hold up to anything I could do to it on a gun. It also can take up to 550 degrees of heat and come out shining.

It is the new finish on my Polish Tantal with fix stock; I used the SP139 GM Satin Black. It comes in many colors, & Flat, Satin, Gloss and Metallic.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/engineenamel.html

http://i33.tinypic.com/2dmgie.jpg

It looks good for being a home finish job...... "

Edited by IPSC45
  • 2 months later...

Update.... I've now tried both the Duplicolor and VHT products . The VHT "satin" is still a bit too shiny for my taste for a "military" looking finish. The Duplicolor was more matte, and seemed more suitable for a milspec type rifle. Haven't tested durability side-by-side.

Engine enamel has been one of mys secrets for cheap gun finishing for years. Ive actually done some very cool looking 1911s with it using standard auto polishing compounds to produce a very slick glossy finish on slides and frames. Also did several CZ82s this way. BBQ black isn't to bad for a durable flat black finish. Lately I have been doing a lot of sponge camo jobs on my Saigas and ARs using Duplicolor camo paimt for woodland an desert schemes and 3 colors of auto primer for urban camo. Not quite as durable but touches up easily. Durability is enhanced with a couple of coats of matte clear coat but it isn't completely flat when finished. Fun stuff!

After finishing my 5.45 build I also used the same Dupicolor as mentioned above and it looked awesome. The problem I ran into was using some gun scrubber after a day at the range and some of it got on the receiver. The gun scrubber took some of the finish off so I ended up painting it again using Duracoat. So far nothing I've cleaned it with has affected the finish. Good luck and enjoy.

Gunscrubber is literally automotive brake cleaner, and can take off just about any finish out there. Be careful because it can eventually damage Duracoat as well.

I have used both Duplicolor DE1634 and DE1635. Both are very tough gun finishes for the price you pay, and stand up to most firearm solvents/cleaners - would never spray Gunscrubber at them though.

Edited by mancat
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've found that the post-heating process is very important if you want a lasting finish. Most of the Duplicolor style enamels suggest at least 1/2 hour...maybe 1 hour...at 200 degF bake.

For some parts..I've baked them 2 or 3 times at this temp...and then a final 2 hour bake at 250 degF. The result was a super-hard finish and the surface ( Duplicolor DE 1634) now feels like velvet instead of a very mild sandpaper. Haven't *purposely* tried to use a very aggressive cleaner....but seems to hold up real nice, up to now.