How tight is this thing??? gas tube cover latch

I quit because I was afraid if I kept goin I would break the lever arm or something. Anyway should the gas tube cover latch be able to be rotated without doing anything else to the rifle? In other words does anything else have to be removed before you try to rotate the latch to the gas tube? This thing is tight. Next step it to use a dowel with hammer to try to move it by tapping it.

thanks

+1 on above, that is the easy part.

Wait till you go to put it back down to latch it in place.

Remember to push the gas tube to the rear then down before you try to move the latch back down.

O yea, remove the bolt and carrier first.big_smile.gif

Dont ask how I know this.

Don't remember seeing a cleaning kit. I probably got one but I use the stuff I use for my other stuff. Anyway I know I had it off once but not exactly sure how I did it. I thought I just moved the lever and it came out. Idono Ok it sounds like it takes a lot of push to get it to move. I was afraid there was something I had to do first.

Ok I have to take the bolt out first? I have a Texas Weapons Systems cover on it. Does that have to come off??? I don't see anything in the way and I don't feel anything rubbing on it.

Edited by thumbs1

Yep, i've had that brain fart before! "SOB why wont this thing come up....SOB, the bolt carrier is still in place.....DOH you SOB!"

Yep, i've had that brain fart before! "SOB why wont this thing come up....SOB, the bolt carrier is still in place.....DOH you SOB!"

Ok I take the bolt carrier out, but the TWS can stay on right?

I dont know for sure.

I think the TWS question was answered above. Does the TWS mount into the rear sight leaf spot? If so, it should have no affect on removing the gas tube.

Really there shouldnt be anything that will affect removing the gas tube except the bolt carrier. The lever can just be really tight sometimes. As mentioned, use the slot in the cleaning kit tube if you have it.

Sometimes if the gas tube is not in just the right spot, it can be a PITA to install and remove and it can kind of bind up the detent that holds it in place. Try pushing down on the gas tube and see if its seated all the way and then try working the lever again.

Edited by Mullet Man

Again thanks. Went to the shop and took the bolt and carrier out. I took a tack hammer and a piece of plastic rod and started to smack it "reasonably lightly" nope no go. I then decided to give it a healthy smack. Yep popped that sucker loose. Now for the TWS. Yes it stays on but... the pin that holds the TWS onto the rear sight support is a bit long. You have to be sure the lever will pass the pin. It will you just have to make sure the pin is all the way in so the lever will pass. That lever is tight all the way to vertical. Anyway I got it apart so I could clean that area up a bit and back together.

Hey thanks guys.

First time I had mine apart I soaked it with PB Blaster and worked it back and forth to make it a little easier. It never gets all that easy, but it can be made to be a bit better that way, then a drop of Remoil on it will help for the next time.

Yeah that's for sure. Sure gave me the impression something was holding it back. Well the good news is it won't move while firing the rifle for sure. LOL

That is why it is tight.