I've completed my bug out bag I've always wanted to build that I've been focusing on for the past week. Alot of folks say your go to bag in a SHTF scenario should you have to abandon your homestead and go ground pounding should have enough stuff to get you through 3 days of complete self sufficientcy. I figure with my included tools for hunting, trapping, fishing, the available native edibiles, along with my packed foodstuff and vitamins, I should be able to go two weeks without a resupply, as long as I have anykind of water source nearby, even though I know how to obtain it other wayspost-8269-0-99033700-1336701284_thumb.jpg. I'm up to 80lbs. in my training pack that I've been conditioning myself with three miles at a crack . I usually start to get bored at the end, and I can go a lot further. I plan on doing a few long haul miles (up mountains) and spending a few days out in some rugged country to give a truer test. I know it's not the MK-19 with an Alice pack I humped many years ago (LOL!), but I still feel as strong now as I did 20+ years ago.

Anywho, I have a picture I took of all my gear minus a slingshot, my sleeping bag and mat, bivy bug net, and binos. My pack is a kevlar backed Badlands 4500 that I use elk hunting that has a nice pocket at the outside bottom with webbing that runs vertical up to the top to secure my ak or shotgun.

I've been a pretty advid camper and survivalist since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Does it look by the pictures that I'm missing anything, as far as SHTF or TEOTWAWKI? I frequent survivalblog regularly for the past five years. Thanks for any info or experiences fellers!

• Like 2

your a walking bass pro shop. naaaa.gif

j/k.

how much ammo do you plan on carrying for your primary weapon?

i like to travel a bit lighter myself, as im not a very big guy, but hell if that much weight dont bother ya then fuck it, hump a way. by the looks of things, you do seem to have it just about covered. .

• Like 1

Sweet!! Ive got the beginnings of a BOB that I picked up at a gun show not too long ago. Complete with large ALICE pack and lots of goodies inside (tools, various survival items...etc). Nothing like what you've got, but its a start. Absolutely love the ALICE pack though, VERY comfortable although its not even close to being full.

Only thing I'd add:

-Couple of MRE's/Mountain House meals. The new MRE's are about like eating Mountain House. Oldest brought me a mixed case for Christmas. Just something to keep you going if you have a bad day foraging.

-100 round box of Winchester or Remington(I carry a 100 pack of Remington JHP .45, plus 8 loaded mags counting the one in my 1911)

-extra mags(again, I carry 6 in the pack in a mag pouch, one on my hip, one in the gun). The more, the merrier.

-A good Leatherman/Gerber

-Topo map of the area. I got one from the gas station for about $4.

You seem to have the rest covered for a intermediate BOB.

your a walking bass pro shop. naaaa.gif

j/k.

how much ammo do you plan on carrying for your primary weapon?

i like to travel a bit lighter myself, as im not a very big guy, but hell if that much weight dont bother ya then fuck it, hump a way. by the looks of things, you do seem to have it just about covered. .

"your a walking bass pro shop"(LOL!) Right now, I have 162 rds. of .40 ammo, but that will decrease a fuzz ( it'll subtract maybe a quarter pound) if I grab my ak and six 30 round magazines ( which will probably add 10 more lbs), or my tricked out Mossberg 500 with 55 rd. bandoleer. I'm takin' an uneducated guess that my pack will be quite a bit lighter than my trainer pack( Atleast I hope like it will be!). I'll take a good healthy shit and saddle up and get on the scale to see what I'll be weigh in at. If it weighs too much, I just throw it in the back seat of the station wagon and drive outta Dodge. (lol).

• Like 1

My Leatherman Wave is always at the side. Oh yea, thanks for the reminder Lone Eagle. I planned a while back making laminated topo maps and an international signal code card. I have an Excaliber dehydrator that I've been using to dehydrate all kinds of food sealed in mylar bags for a couple years now that I'm gonna segregate for full one day meals. Oh, my axe is going in there too.

Sweet!! Ive got the beginnings of a BOB that I picked up at a gun show not too long ago. Complete with large ALICE pack and lots of goodies inside (tools, various survival items...etc). Nothing like what you've got, but its a start. Absolutely love the ALICE pack though, VERY comfortable although its not even close to being full.

I was lookin' at a large framed alice pack, but I figured since I already had a waterproof roomy pack, I decided to go that route. I'm pretty partial to OD and classic camo. My Badlands is Realtree and blends in nicely here in the woods. I have a coldweather set of coveralls and a white pack cover if the snow was around.

that is awesome. having one of these has been on my mind more and more and more lately. did i see toilet paper in your stash? its not exactly necessary and takes up room, but it could be a morale booster on a rough day.

Just picked up a really nice OEM ALICE pack the other week...MAN forgot how much those things will hold!! Have been busy with work and school, but will start putting it together soon. and y'all remind me, need to get more 1911 mags!!

This is going to be controversial but I want to get my hands on three or four "go pills". If you don't know what those are, ask anybody who has flown in the Air Force. In a real SHTF situation there could be a prolonged stretch somewhere along the way where not having to sleep could be advantageous or even save my life. I've already stocked prescription pain medications and antibiotics, all legally of course.

• Like 3

Yeah, it's TP with a bunch of sanitary wipes. Could indeed be a rough day with some rough leaves.

Vacuum seal that shit paper, any extra clothes and or anything that will squash down to a smaller size.

I have 162 rds. of .40 ammo, but that will decrease a fuzz ( it'll subtract maybe a quarter pound) if I grab my ak and six 30 round magazines ( which will probably add 10 more lbs), or my tricked out Mossberg 500 with 55 rd. bandoleer.

.22LR I have a marlin 60 in mine. Can carry several hundred rounds. XD 45 for the hand gun.

Edited by Dad2142Dad
  • Like 1

This is going to be controversial but I want to get my hands on three or four "go pills". If you don't know what those are, ask anybody who has flown in the Air Force. In a real SHTF situation there could be a prolonged stretch somewhere along the way where not having to sleep could be advantageous or even save my life. I've already stocked prescription pain medications and antibiotics, all legally of course.

You may not be able to get the "go pills", but in a pinch caffeine pills or chocolate coated coffee beans will work, as well as freeze dried coffee packets. Try eating a coffee packet dry and tell me that doesn't wake you up.

My wife and I back country back pack for up to week at a time when we go out. Weight is paramount in what you haul. We slowly invested in the lightest weight items we could get over a couple of year period. Total weight for me for a one week trip including food is 28 lbs. and for my wife it's 25 lbs. We eat three meals and sncks everyday. Food tends to be the most weight overall. As the week goes on the packs get lighter. We have the REI Flash 65 back packs. They weigh just under 3 lbs. Typical Alice pack weighs just over 6 lbs. That's 3lbs. of other gear we can haul with the weight savings on the packs. Just some food for thought on a bug out bag.

I have a medium Alice Pack I'd be willing to sell or trade if anyone is interested PM me. It may weigh more but the price will be much less than a civilian light weight pack.

fffpatriot, I see you even have the Kitchen Sink in your loadout! For you guys humping an ALICE, I highly suggest High Speed Gear Incorporated's Alipad. More padding for your back, shoulders, and hips plus additional storage compartments. We used them when I was still in and swore by them. The nice thing about the ALICE, you can remove the ruck from the frame and use the frame with an ALICE pack shelf to haul other things. Whatever ruck you are using, remember to position and cinch up the waistband high so the weight is on your hips not your shoulders. The shoulder straps are there to provide balance to the load. Your back will thank you.

• Like 2

They do make a metal bracket shelf for the Alice Pack. It attaches to the bottom of the frame and works great for a platform to haul the other stuff you may need to carry.

That's what I said.

They do make a metal bracket shelf for the Alice Pack. It attaches to the bottom of the frame and works great for a platform to haul the other stuff you may need to carry.

That's what I said.

Yep you did. I had my screen up posting it and had to leave my desk for a couple of minutes. Cam back finished the sentence, and wallah, your post came up and then mine after. So you just beat me to it and made my post leaving me looking like a tool. haha.gif

damn man, i never thought about that.... ive been eating them like candy and could of been putting them up in my go bag..... legally of course. ive got some meds in mine also.

My wife and I back country back pack for up to week at a time when we go out. Weight is paramount in what you haul. We slowly invested in the lightest weight items we could get over a couple of year period. Total weight for me for a one week trip including food is 28 lbs. and for my wife it's 25 lbs. We eat three meals and sncks everyday. Food tends to be the most weight overall. As the week goes on the packs get lighter. We have the REI Flash 65 back packs. They weigh just under 3 lbs. Typical Alice pack weighs just over 6 lbs. That's 3lbs. of other gear we can haul with the weight savings on the packs. Just some food for thought on a bug out bag.

My wife and I have also been "lightening" our backpacking gear over the past couple of years. We both have those Big Agnes sleeping pads now, and Gregory Z/Jade packs, which I cannot recommend strongly enough. Most of my BOB stuff is just my backpacking stuff - tent, sleeping bag, water filter, etc. GoLite stuff is awesome as well. Bug out gun is probably my 9mm Kel-Tec carbine.

I don't know where to get go pills, but an alternative could be a good pre-workout in gel caps. You can get empty gel caps from Amazon. I'd recommend Craze for the pre-workout if you really want to stay up.

Never really saw the point on pills beyond snivel meds and maybe a multi-vitamin if that's your daily thing. Still don't, performance enhancement is good at one thing, running the horse (you) in to the ground. It'll take its tole later. I'd consider an energy gel pac maybe, but will most likely stick with little packets of honey. Ultralight backpackers and endurance competitors seem to provide alot of knowledge in this area and one of the main things that's been pointed out to me is that if you don't consume the foods/pills on a regular basis the desired results aren't all that good. Mainstay bars have become my top choice for long lasting high calorie eats, they also take up very little space. Jerky is good, no cooking required and you will get your daily load+ of sodium. Hard candy is good for on the move. None of this stuff needs preperation and can easily sustain you for 3 days and much, much longer depending on the person.

If you have a burning desire to cook...............For small game/fish or meat in general the good old shovel frying pan has worked for a long time, as backwards as this may seem It massively reduces weight in the cooking utensil area due to it's many uses, I've recently been trying to out some other multiple use cooking utensils, the jurys still out on longevity (only had'em a short while) but so far I'm really impressed with Dave Canterburys cooking system (go to his website and look at it) and a friends setup using the 64fl oz Kleen Kanteen and some goodies stuffed inside. I like both of these bottles because there stainless steel and you can boil water directly in it, no excess needed just hang it over your fire or put it on top of your shovel over embers. A flexi bowl and fish mouth spreader are nice additions. If I'm actually cooking there are a few items that are light, long lasting and go a long way. Powdered egg whites, dried veggies and fruits, rice, beans and of course ramen or a pasta and last but not least nuts. I like to keep salt, hot sauce (makes everything taste better) and boulion cubes as flavor add ons. Water purificaton is important, the stainless steel bottles already give you the option of boiling for one, the second can be water purification tablets and I suppose if you wanted to go with a third a filter of some sort (Katadyn is my top choice) or a steripen would do. I still use water bladders/camel backs as my main source of on the move drinking water. For filtration in to the steel bottles a bandana will work.

Sleeping systems can be overly bulky and seems to be a pretty touchy subject that is pretty much based on the individual, the elements and the area that you live in. I prefer hammock camping, but I live in an are where your never to far from a tree. The hammock can also be used as a bivouac with some leaves, boughs thrown under it. It also reduces alot of the weight over a tent.

I could go on but most of this stuff is really area dependant. Just do your best to look in to the reducing weight in the areas of food, sleeping systems and water/cooking through the use of superior products (heck, sometimes caveman IS your best option as well as cheap). All the little extra knick knacks will need to work there way out of your bag, yes some things are nice for conveniance but at what cost? I have a buddy who has a "butt out" tool for gutting deer in his BOB and for what? the one deer he may have to gut to survive? He also carrys many other things that are just taking up space and adding ounces (ounces, pounds, pain....yup everyone knows the saying), it truly is a waste. More pounds also equals more calorie burn over shorter distances forcing you to carry more calories........which goes back to ozs, which lead to..............you get it.

Edit to add: I've seem some pretty cool setups that could be worn on the belt line for those that are thinking of a light weight last line setup vs. a pack. The Maxpedition water bottle holders can fit whole cooking setups plus food in them.

Edited by YARP
  • Like 1

Never really saw the point on pills beyond snivel meds and maybe a multi-vitamin if that's your daily thing. Still don't, performance enhancement is good at one thing, running the horse (you) in to the ground. It'll take its tole later.

I

Just to clarify, these would only be used in an extreme situation. One that may never happen. One example might be that you are in a stand-off by yourself without a second person to stand watch. Your adversaries know you are alone and are trying to wait you out and strike when you are vulnerable, knowing that you can only stay alert for so long. That's when remaining vigilant could save your life and the effects of a one time usage are much better than the alternative.
  • Like 1

That's what the my Uncle had to do in Vietnam

Never really saw the point on pills beyond snivel meds and maybe a multi-vitamin if that's your daily thing. Still don't, performance enhancement is good at one thing, running the horse (you) in to the ground. It'll take its tole later.

I

Just to clarify, these would only be used in an extreme situation. One that may never happen. One example might be that you are in a stand-off by yourself without a second person to stand watch. Your adversaries know you are alone and are trying to wait you out and strike when you are vulnerable, knowing that you can only stay alert for so long. That's when remaining vigilant could save your life and the effects of a one time usage are much better than the alternative.

My Uncle's unit had to do just that for three days in Vietnam when the VC regulars were trying to over run his units position. It was the only thing that kept them from being whiped according to him.

• Like 1

I personally believe your bug out bag sbould consist of only the gear you need to make it to your safe house or destination. 30 lbs is the magic number for keeping nimble and alive. I have mountain house freeze dried portions, water, simple dressings and ammo that will last me several miles before reaching a cache.

multiple caches, multiple routes to your green zone!

good luck!

• Like 1

Dogman and Liberty-To each his own I say, I'm by no means am the "authority" on all that is BOB, if it fits the bill for you then go for it. That's just my personal opinion and what works for me.

• Like 1

I

very good point, could be the only thing that saves you, staying alert

• Like 1

I'm with the others, lighter weight is definitely better. An 80 pound pack like originally described should be able to have all your gear + food, hell, even water for a good week+; but it's still WAY too heavy. Try fighting with that gear on your back; it isn't going to happen. Try to ditch the pack if SHTF and who knows if you'll ever get back to it. My own (with sleeping bag, mat, tent, stove, food, water filter, FAK, bushcraft/survival/fishing/snaring supplies, clothes, etc.) weighs 22 pounds. Even add my 6-mag (180 rounds) chestrig to that and a rifle and you're still at 32 pounds worn + rifle on a sling.

Edited by Dochartaigh
  • Like 1

If you are truly bugging out, a 22 pound pack isn't going to contain enough gear to go a long time IMO. If you are planning on getting into a firefight, 180 rounds is going to go quick and you will need a resupply from your ruck. Most rucks used in the Military are packed to a standard to last three days, then you need a resupply. Most are not packed with all kinds of field craft tools and equipment either. Bullets, beans, batteries, water, more bullets, and a few items of snivel gear are usually packed and they did get heavy. We did carry water purification capabilities with both a MSR mechanical filter and a Miox purification pen though. Hell, even a small patrol pack still weighed more than 22 pounds. I think fffpatriot's ruck looks well thought out.

• Like 3