Saiga 12 Magazine Loader

Sorry to say I haven't invested in any drums yet. The ten round AGPs that I have and the two factory fives were my test platforms. When I go back through the forums to find which drums everyone feels are the most reliable then I will tinker again. Probably will pick up a few more clothes hooks at WalMart in the morning before work. Might have to build a form to make the shaping process easier. Ask to see my ventilated factory forearms and such. Boy, do those take time.

Sorry to say I haven't invested in any drums yet. The ten round AGPs that I have and the two factory fives were my test platforms. When I go back through the forums to find which drums everyone feels are the most reliable then I will tinker again. Probably will pick up a few more clothes hooks at WalMart in the morning before work. Might have to build a form to make the shaping process easier. Ask to see my ventilated factory forearms and such. Boy, do those take time.

It is generally accepted that the MD20 is the most stable, reliable drum available for the S-12 platform.

How does the loader you've made attach to the magazine?

The loader itself just slides over the top and the "finger" rests on the follower. It could be used to load the first shell, but the mags I have load easy, so first round usually slides in with no effort. After that I rest the mag on my knee and kind of like milking a cow without the squeeze, pull the loader down and slide the shell into the lips. It only takes a little more than the width of the shell to seat the next one and so on. Instead of your thumb you are using the finger (of the hook), and the part that wraps around the mag is your support. I plan on making a couple more to see how quickly they can be done, some spare day off.

The loader itself just slides over the top and the "finger" rests on the follower. It could be used to load the first shell, but the mags I have load easy, so first round usually slides in with no effort. After that I rest the mag on my knee and kind of like milking a cow without the squeeze, pull the loader down and slide the shell into the lips. It only takes a little more than the width of the shell to seat the next one and so on. Instead of your thumb you are using the finger (of the hook), and the part that wraps around the mag is your support. I plan on making a couple more to see how quickly they can be done, some spare day off.

Very nice. Any further prototypes you build, I'd love to see them. Any thoughts on professional production? laugh.png

Well, I had too much time on my hands this weekend and decided to try and build a loader for the s12. It took a bit of fiddling and a lot of patience. I used 1/16" polycarbonate, an over the door clothes hook, a couple #6 nuts and bolts and my trusty heat gun. It does work, but it won't break any speed loading records. It is based on my recollection of the old STEN mag loader. The point the tool engages the shell is on the base and it is strong enough to push the shell down to allow the next to be loaded. I turned the heads of the bolts down and flattened the tops, then recessed them on the inside of the loader so they did not contact the mag. I put a curve on the point where the hook meets the shell base to match that curve. It can be done and will work. Only problem is, it seems to be a thumb saver and not for competition. I used snap caps to work out the bugs and then Winchester high brass "00 buck" for testing. Pics are borderline mediocre, but you will get the idea. Had a heckuva time finding them to upload as my OS puts new pics in three different files. Thanks Windows.

I like it

Production would be nice, but I'm sure there is something out there that is similar that I don't know about. Patent research is tedious and I could only hope, if there was, all rights have expired. Maybe after a few get into our mainstream as crude as it is, each of us, if we needed one could pass the knowledge along. After ten hour work days and then another few at home doesn't leave much time to concentrate on extras. Not to diminish the attempt, but you guys out here are some of the most resourceful folk I've run into. I know one of you can build this better "mousetrap". Just wish I had more time to churn out a couple dozen to spread around right away. After I get my cat feeling better (viral infection) I'll start up on a couple. Hey, I could make them into a build it yourself kit, like a model plane, with plans like stereo instructions.

• Like 1

Production would be nice, but I'm sure there is something out there that is similar that I don't know about. Patent research is tedious and I could only hope, if there was, all rights have expired. Maybe after a few get into our mainstream as crude as it is, each of us, if we needed one could pass the knowledge along. After ten hour work days and then another few at home doesn't leave much time to concentrate on extras. Not to diminish the attempt, but you guys out here are some of the most resourceful folk I've run into. I know one of you can build this better "mousetrap". Just wish I had more time to churn out a couple dozen to spread around right away. After I get my cat feeling better (viral infection) I'll start up on a couple. Hey, I could make them into a build it yourself kit, like a model plane, with plans like stereo instructions.

If this thread is any indication, there are no loaders available for the S-12 magazines, so as far as patents go you're probably in the clear (assuming nothing is pending). I personally appreciate the time you put in to prototype these, and I do hope you produce more versions in the future, or even a kit when you find time. I'd be happy to test one on my SGM mags or my MD20 drum to see how it holds up. Great work!

Also, could you take a couple pics of the process of how you use it to load? I'm having trouble visualizing the functionality of it...

Edited by FOURBUX

Well it looks like I have to get a drum now. I hope the mag loaders in MaloDave's post don't see a possible infringement on their design. While mine is crude for a first attempt to satisfy our needs with the S12, the similarity I see is there. We still have to have something for our cause as I see it. These are the last pics I have for now. I will see if I can do a few more of the in process of loading the shells or try the video function on my camera. More reading in the camera manual.

post-36534-0-50987700-1337141690_thumb.jpg

post-36534-0-67844800-1337141802_thumb.jpg

post-36534-0-62160500-1337141856_thumb.jpg

post-36534-0-37171700-1337141913_thumb.jpg

Mag loaders,,,,,, do the even sell those in the men's department? Ha! For real though great work on that loader. I'm all for working smarter not harder. I seem to remember someone making one a few years ago with rubber bands and paint stir sticks(?) and saying he could load a mag in 5 sec. I searched to no avail. It feels good to create something useful out of stuff lying around. All it takes to do it, is to do it.

Dont worry about a patent. The basic concept is public domain. Making it work on a different caliber doesnt count as a new idea.

Nobody's doing it so tbe market is yours if you want.

Edited by Darth Saigus

Darth, I appreciate the vote of confidence from you and all the others. I am ordering a couple of drums to try for a clip on version and will post pics when it is functional. Note to all. Notice I said "when it is functional". Man is only limited by his imagination and as Caged said, it can be done. Remember I am building these things from parts left on my workbench from other household projects. I am not a gunsmith by trade but I do love the S12 design as developed from the AK. The original AK is pure simplicity and so will what I do. Thanks everyone for the continued support and ideas.

• Like 2

Darth, I appreciate the vote of confidence from you and all the others. I am ordering a couple of drums to try for a clip on version and will post pics when it is functional. Note to all. Notice I said "when it is functional". Man is only limited by his imagination and as Caged said, it can be done. Remember I am building these things from parts left on my workbench from other household projects. I am not a gunsmith by trade but I do love the S12 design as developed from the AK. The original AK is pure simplicity and so will what I do. Thanks everyone for the continued support and ideas.

Great work so far! Keep us updated as you're building!

Ordered two MD Arms 20 rd drums last night. Bought out local WalMart's supply of door hooks. Plenty of polycarbonate pieces to start and 100+ number 6 nuts and bolts. Time to build a form for shaping. Digressing just a bit, one of my AGP mags had been the guinea pig for a brain fart I had (this morning) with a business card holder. Well, it doesn't hold business cards any more and doesn't want to learn to load mags either. Heat gun 1, mag loader attempt 0. Guess I'll stick with the original concept, kick out a few more until the drums arrive. Sadly, to me, it still looks like a piece of plastic with a door hook attached that works. Well the first microwave was 6 ft tall and weighed a third of a ton and cost about 5 grand. I guess 97 cents, some scrap plastic and a couple of bolts is a bargain. Maybe some paint when all is standardized, any color you want as long as it is black. Daylight is burning.