Jack Travers of JT Engineering developed the magwell. Jack's keeping pretty tight lipped about when it will be released, but If it works as well as it does in Jack's videos, I think he's going to be very busy filling orders. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/72273-magazine-well-for-md-drums-and-all-factory-magazines/

• Like 1

I'd really like to know how a MD drum compatible magwell is possible since there is no tower to support it. I've never been able to visualize how anyone would be able to make a mag well work with a drum. Unmodified stick mags, I get... a drum... just doesn't seem possible.

Actually, there is a difference between a mag well and an extended mag well. Everyone has come to envision a mag well like what is on an AR-15/M-4 etc. BUT, a mag well is actually just the cut out opening in the receiver, that you insert the magazine into.

But, yes I am developing what I would like to call a magazine adapter. It is slightly extended in the rear to allow faster insertion and will accept the drums and all stick magazines.

Designing it for the stick mags was easy. Because the drum has such a short tower, as you stated, it becomes less of an extension and more of a shorter guide/adapter and it will accept all factory stock magazines and drums.

Regards,

Jack

So it should take already modified mags also? I have been keping my eye on this for a bit now.

He has already said no to modified magazines. This is supposed to work with any magazine that still has both the front lug and rear catch.

Actually, there is a difference between a mag well and an extended mag well. Everyone has come to envision a mag well like what is on an AR-15/M-4 etc. BUT, a mag well is actually just the cut out opening in the receiver, that you insert the magazine into.

But, yes I am developing what I would like to call a magazine adapter. It is slightly extended in the rear to allow faster insertion and will accept the drums and all stick magazines.

Designing it for the stick mags was easy. Because the drum has such a short tower, as you stated, it becomes less of an extension and more of a shorter guide/adapter and it will accept all factory stock magazines and drums.

Regards,

Jack

Iiiiiiiiiiinteresting.....

Sounds like it is a bigger version of the rock-n-lock...

That has been done with side panels.

Note that Jack says straight insertion and that is what he does in the video. It probably has two latches, one in the front.

Note that Jack says straight insertion and that is what he does in the video. It probably has two latches, one in the front.

How can be a straight insertion while retraining the front lug?

I think the way these mags work the front just has to be supported. I was trying to figure out how to mod a regular magwell, and you would need to notch the front as well as the receiver to keep the lip on the mags.. to work with a drum, it needs to be shorter not as tall as the current ones.

I have a regular magwell on the way and I have an MD drum so I'll look at it more when I have the magwell. but I'm just imagining it, and seeing as how what I think goes on currently with the S12 magwells is you cut the lip off the mags and the magwell being an extension it holds the mag similar to how the tab on the magazine otherwise would... not sure if I'm using the best words. but as far as I can tell with the way we tilt in the mags the front lip on the mags is tilted into the receiver with that in mind, a modified L bracket could hold the mags if you cut the lip off the mags. the rest would be to hold the mag from moving left to right or get bumped free without hitting the mag release intentionally far as I can tell the concept SEEMS easy enough. I don't mind notching my magwell when it comes to allow the lip to fit thru it and see what happens lol. then all I gotta do is shorten it so the MD feed tower isn't too tall biggrin.png makes sense to me. not sure how it'll look and I may want to somehow close the notch I cut for the lip. OR I'll just mod my mags and cut the magwell shorter to fit the drum LOL we'll see when I get it biggrin.png

as far as a lrbho I'm not sure how the s12 one is actuated so I'd need help with that part if I were to somehow mod it to work. it would need machined peices I would think so it would be released upon a round being inserted. that seems a little harder than getting a magwell to accept a drum or unmodded mags to work with the magwell. at least for me having no idea how to actuate or release the bho from the inside of the gun using rounds LOL

Edited by hawaiianbasshead

got my standad magwell, didn't realize how heavy duty it was, I don't think I'm gonna mod it at all, it's just not worth it I don't think the drum will work no matter how much you cut it, it would have to be a very short front on the magwell for the drum to work.

I think a taller feed tower would be ideal. so a new version of the drum maybe a snail shell type, with a taller feed tower would be the ticket imo and just use standard magwells. and figure out how to add a lrbho to the magazines or magwells, something that can just be adapted to currently available stuff.

if the new stuff is going to become game changing, everyone's current stuff will be obsolete. which is fine, it would just mean everyone needs to upgrade to digital cable as antenna/analog are no longer going to be available lol. anyway, negative on modding my magwell to attempt to fit the drum, I'm just gonna sell the drum and get stick mags that will work with the magwell since it'd be easier for real uses anyway. only reason I had a drum with my AR was because the drum could be stored at full capacity for unlimited shelf life with no damage to it and still retain all shootability. basically it was my "shtf loaded/ready mag" I even loaded it with only hunting round for better stoppage lol. anything that drops good sized game will be real man stoppers imo.

edit: does anyone know how to tell if my magwell is for surefire or AGP mags? I got it 2nd hand with no hardware or paperwork but new/unmounted. thanks!

Tom

edit 2 LOL, says USA-S under it so I'm guessing surefire...

Edited by hawaiianbasshead

How can be a straight insertion while retraining the front lug?

The lugs DO NOT have to be used for a caming/rocking action. They are being used to retain the magazine in the gun. I found that a slight caming action is faster, but it is a reverse caming action, rear to front. That way you are caming the shells in from the less resistance/apex of the shell angle.

Jack