I just took out my ar15 for the first time. It was a custom built job with many different parts. It is cycling fine, ejecting fine. Not every time but a good 10% or more the bullets are running in to the feed ramp. Instead of poking up and into the chamber, they run straight and jam in to the feed ramp.

Ouch. Yeah. Standard extension with M4-cut upper is a bad thing. Whoever assembled that and sold it that way should be ashamed. There are ways to make the gun feed reliably in spite of having janked-up ramps like that, but I'd still consider it unacceptable. Either the barrel or the upper forging itself has to be replaced.

i took it to the shop and they said they would make it right and get it fixed for me, but i didn't get to talk to the guy thats going to do the work, so who knows what his fix is going to be.

The whole story was that i was looking for an ar15 with some extras on it, so i wouldn't have to spend the money on upgrades myself. I found a perfect specimen with lots of expensive upgrades, but i wasn't fond of the 14" barrel with welded flash supressor. Plus, i didn't know how many rounds went through the barrel. So they made the deal that they would replace the barrel with a brand new 16" barrel. They had their in house gun smith replace the barrel and everything was looking good. Ive been pretty busy with work and the weather has been crap and i was converting my saiga, so something like 3 months went by before i finally went out shooting. Finally got out to shoot it and it jammed like a mofo. Took it to the shop today with a picture of the different extensions and feed ramps and they said they would make it right. Now im thinking that their gunsmith must not be all that good if he makes a novice mistake. Im pretty worried hes going to just take a dremmel to the feed ramp so its all lined up. Ive heard this works but it removes the surface hardened steel. Hopefully he just replaces it with another brand new barrel with proper feed ramp. I didn't get to talk to the gunsmith because he isn't in on sunday. He only works when im also working

on a side note, my heavily modified 7.62 saiga underfolder ran like a champ. I was a little worried about it because i ended up with the rear trunion red locktited, jb welded, and mig welded in place. If i would have needed to adjust that rear trunion, i may have just tossed it off a cliff

Yeah, I'd definitely call it a novice mistake for anyone who owns an AR-15 barrel nut wrench. I agree and hope he does replace the barrel for you rather than trying to hack-job it.

FYI, installing a heavier recoil buffer, at least an H3 if not heavier (I assume you have a collapsible, carbine stock,) would slow the bolt group way down. That improves reliability in general, but in your case in particular the slower bolt won't hit the cartridges in the magazine so hard, so the bullet noses won't dip so far down and they should hit the feed ramps on the barrel rather than the receiver. Excessive bolt speed is the reason they started cutting the feed ramps lower on the M4 to begin with. Still, the lip there creates a possible hangup point that I wouldn't want to leave unaddressed.

he replaced the bravo company upper with a stag arms upper. It seems to be feeding bullets just fine. Before, with a tapco mag, it wouldn't even think about working correctly more than 50%. Now with the same tapco mag, it didn't even think about jamming up. I still need to take it out shooting, but so far its promising

The gun smith was super embarressed and apologetic. At first he was being all arrogant. it was pretty funny.

him: "who the hell sold you this barrel".... .

me: "you guys"

him: "where the hell did you get that receiver"

me: "you guys"

him: "i sold you this stuff?"

me "you had the gun and i said i would buy it if you replaced the barrel, you replaced the barrel and i picked it up"

him: "oh ya, i remember now. Im so sorry, i'll have to change your upper out, i have one right here, ill get it done asap"

Made me happy he was embarresed. If he wasn't, it would have said he doesn't know anything about what he does. I probably should have pushed him for some ammo or something, but i just told him that it happens and went on my way. If he would have tried to charge me money i would have shown him my other side though

• Like 4