My intention for the IZ 332 was to keep the factory monte carlo stock and add a muzzle brake. What I didn't realize, till recently, is that if I add a muzzle brake, I would effectivley need to comply with the 922R regulation.

From what I've read so far, I need 6 U.S. made parts to make this work. I would like anyone's opinion on how I could achieve this as simple and economical as possible. I have no metal fabrication skills so anything requiring precision drilling, cutting, etc, is probably not a good idea.

My only idea right now is purchase the following U.S. made parts:

- Muzzle Brake

- Front Hand Guard

- Magazine (counts as 3)

The above meets 5 U.S. parts. I am wondering if anyone could recommend a 6th item. I am open to a different approach all together. Thanks.

My intention for the IZ 332 was to keep the factory monte carlo stock and add a muzzle brake. What I didn't realize, till recently, is that if I add a muzzle brake, I would effectivley need to comply with the 922R regulation.

From what I've read so far, I need 6 U.S. made parts to make this work. I would like anyone's opinion on how I could achieve this as simple and economical as possible. I have no metal fabrication skills so anything requiring precision drilling, cutting, etc, is probably not a good idea.

My only idea right now is purchase the following U.S. made parts:

- Muzzle Brake

- Front Hand Guard

- Magazine (counts as 3)

The above meets 5 U.S. parts. I am wondering if anyone could recommend a 6th item. I am open to a different approach all together. Thanks.

You only need 5 US parts to be compliant with a muzzle brake. Ten or less imported parts is the magic number. Your rifle without a pistol grip has 14 imported parts.
  • Like 1

If you use a muzzle us made muzzle brake

You will have 3 parts with your mags and 1 with your handguard. And be complaint

You will have to use a US muzzle brake or you won't be complaint.

But..... You should still convert the rifle to its true and intended form

You can modify the fire control group (hammer, disconnector and trigger). Also, I think they still sell a US made piston, if you want to change that out.

Thanks. So far in my searches, the replacement fire control group meant for Saiga's are for pistol grip type conversions. I'd like to keep the trigger in its current location to keep the monte carlo stock. But if there really is a true replacement out there, I'd like to go that route instead of having to replace the handguard, which I happen to like. I did see pistons for sale, but I've seen the work involved in replacing those, not sure if I am ready to go that route at my skill level.

But..... You should still convert the rifle to its true and intended form

Oh, you brought a good point. Here's why I am not converting over, at least at this time. I live in the People's Republic of California. If I convert to a true AK style pistol grip & stock, I would require the dreaded magazine lock (aka bullet button). Currently, in current monte carlo stock configuration, I don't require the magazine lock. That's one of the original reasons why I was attracted to the Saiga rifles, I don't have to go out of my way to make them "featureless". One of my other AK variant rifles has magazine lock right now, and it truly annoys me. I am sure over time I may get use to it, but in the mean time...

You only need 5 US parts to be compliant with a muzzle brake. Ten or less imported parts is the magic number. Your rifle without a pistol grip has 14 imported parts.

Wow. I guess this proves I really need to learn the 922r a bit more. Awesome, nice to know I was already at my goal. Thanks.

Evidence for you

93a3092d.jpg

Thank you for confirming. I recognize that site/tool you're using. Apparently I used it wrong the first time :-(

Dizagarms(do a search) has a non conversion fcg but its only hammer and disconnetor plus modified trigger but counts as 2 parts because I think u use the original trigger... maybe he can chime in cause I am not 100 percent sure (for the trigger)

Dizagarms(do a search) has a non conversion fcg but its only hammer and disconnetor plus modified trigger but counts as 2 parts because I think u use the original trigger... maybe he can chime in cause I am not 100 percent sure (for the trigger)

Much appreciated, I'll look in that area.

if all you are changing is adding a muzzle brake, the rifle is still importable, and not subject to 922r. Assuming it is actually a brake and not a flash hider. Why waste money on u.s. parts.

I was under the assumption he also wanted to use over 10rnd mags

if all you are changing is adding a muzzle brake, the rifle is still importable, and not subject to 922r. Assuming it is actually a brake and not a flash hider. Why waste money on u.s. parts.

I admit I am still trying to understand the 922R compliance. I was told anyway, the fact I have to Dremel off the tack weld on the metal cap, that hides the threads, then adding a muzzle brake, I am taking it out of import configuration. This reconfiguration "would" trigger the 922R compliance. Are you saying this is not true?

If u thought and other people told u that a muzzle device means u have to comply with 922r then its likely that an LEO might think that too(no matter what the law says). I would play it safe and be in compliance. But I don't think u have to comply to 922r with a muzzle device that's not a silenced or muffle device.

• 3 weeks later...

You can modify the fire control group (hammer, disconnector and trigger). Also, I think they still sell a US made piston, if you want to change that out.

Thanks. So far in my searches, the replacement fire control group meant for Saiga's are for pistol grip type conversions. I'd like to keep the trigger in its current location to keep the monte carlo stock. But if there really is a true replacement out there, I'd like to go that route instead of having to replace the handguard, which I happen to like. I did see pistons for sale, but I've seen the work involved in replacing those, not sure if I am ready to go that route at my skill level.

Just replace the hammer. The hammer is the same in stock or converted configuration.