Well not quite mine yet. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this in the next few days. I'm in love with this vehicle and that's what bothers me. I've had Landcruisers and other great 4x4s, but never a Jeep, and this one has really caught my eye. They are one of the most accessorized and customizable 4x4s on the market, not to mention they are the only convertible 4x4 SUV on the market that I know of. Their prowess off-road is also hard to beat. I guess I'm giving anyone that cares a chance to talk me out of it or go ahead and push me over the edge. What do you think?

47380360.jpgjeep.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

do it! if you have any questions on what mods work and what doesn't, good parts vs bad or whatever just PM me - I've been building JKs since they came out in 07. Everything from mild budget boost bu

Looks too nice to be driven the way it was meant to be driven, buy a POS and beat on it

Our 1996 Cherokee, all original drivetrain with 335k miles on it. Dog ate the headliner is the only thing wrong with it.  

Posted Images

We have a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited. It was the first in the Unlimited line. The extra length make hauling things nice. We keep the back seat stored in the garage, and leaving the back area open for cargo. I love going to Lowe's and getting strange looks from people when they see me loading 8ft llumber into it. I flip the passenger seat back flat and load it on the passenger side.

Buy it. The most recent edition is supposed to be much nicer than ours for noise and creature comfort.

• Like 1

We have a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited. It was the first in the Unlimited line. The extra length make hauling things nice. We keep the back seat stored in the garage, and leaving the back area open for cargo. I love going to Lowe's and getting strange looks from people when they see me loading 8ft llumber into it. I flip the passenger seat back flat and load it on the passenger side.

Buy it. The most recent edition is supposed to be much nicer than ours for noise and creature comfort.

The whole drive train is improved for 2012. New engine and tranny along with just a token little improvement in gas mileage. Seems to have a bit more room inside than my Nissan Xterra. And yes, my plan is to take those back seats out too and open that baby up for cargo and dogs.
  • Like 1

Looks too nice to be driven the way it was meant to be driven, buy a POS and beat on ithaha.gif

I need four wheel drive just to get out of my driveway and up to the road, and then another mile and a half until I get to pavement. So I need to have a comfortable daily driver that can also perform, especially in winter. I'm not a rock crawler though, so I won't get beat up too bad.

Our 1996 Cherokee, all original drivetrain with 335k miles on it. Dog ate the headliner is the only thing wrong with it.

photo5-2.jpg

Damn, It doesn't look like it has 50,000 miles on it. I hope I can be that good to mine.

Throw a wench and pushbar on and you'll be set!

I throw the wench into the passenger seat.haha.gif
  • Like 1

Do it!

IMG_20101119_140136.jpg

I never understood the whole 4 door jeep thing.

More room, and better ride for the most part.

Seems to have a bit more room inside than my Nissan Xterra. And yes, my plan is to take those back seats out too and open that baby up for cargo and dogs.

Why? They fold down making the entire rear area flat.

• Like 1

thats bad ass MT. i like it when people actually take their vehicles off road. one thing i hate to see is people that lift their vehicles and never take them off road. and yours is not over done.

• Like 1

The whole idea behind the original jeep design was to have a short wheel base.

I always was partial to the two door tahoes when wanting a bit more space but still having the option of the off roading capability. Too bad they stopped making those mad.gif they were badass. Guess there wasnt high enough demand for them.

But hey, Jeep apparently knows what they are doing. Ive seen lots of these on the roads.

Oh, and dogman, I love the landcruisers they are nice too.

If you get the jeep, remember, You cant have a jeep without a wench. 032.gif

• Like 1

The whole idea behind the original jeep design was to have a short wheel base.

True, and that was to design a General Purpose vehicle for scouting, etc. that was small and didn't take up much room for shipment overseas whether on a boat or in a plane. Short wheel base is good in certain instances like turning radius and going over obstacles. It can be a bad thing when encountering very steep inclines. The reason a lot of SWB Jeeps get the WB stretched.

Edited by MT Predator

Looks in pretty good shape, and a white vehicle is easy to hide. It's the most common color.

It's brand new. I had to go new to get the new engine. White is cool in the summer and it looks better than darker colors when dirty. The only disadvantage I can see is if I go into a snow bank they may never find my frozen ass.laugh.png
  • Like 1

Only thing i will say is, it can be iffy buying a first year production run. I try to avoid them if possible, to let the bugs get worked out.

Jeep should've kept the straight 6 and refined it for better mileage IMO.

• Like 2

Do it!

IMG_20101119_140136.jpg

Seems to have a bit more room inside than my Nissan Xterra. And yes, my plan is to take those back seats out too and open that baby up for cargo and dogs.

I didn't try it myself but I was told because the headrests won't come off they won't go all the way flat with the drivers seat all the way back and slightly reclined. If it turns out they will, I might reconsider. BTW, Nice Jeep! Edited by DogMan

Only thing i will say is, it can be iffy buying a first year production run. I try to avoid them if possible, to let the bugs get worked out.

Jeep should've kept the straight 6 and refined it for better mileage IMO.

I feel the same way but the Pentastar V6 was introduced last year in numerous vehicles and is already one of the top ten rated engines available in a production vehicle. I think the 5 speed auto tranny has been around a while longer and was designed to be mated with the 5.7 liter Hemi, so it should be good to go. It is a new "package" but I haven't seen any major issues since it's release last year.

Do it!

IMG_20101119_140136.jpg

I didn't try it myself but I was told because the headrests won't come off they won't go all the way flat with the drivers seat all the way back and slightly reclined. If it turns out they will, I might reconsider. BTW, Nice Jeep!

The headrests on the rear seat fold when you fold the seats forward. If the front seats are slightly in the way, adjust the front seat forward to fold the rear down, then do what you want with the front seats, recline, etc.

• Like 1

I stick with older vehicles.

I work with large scale recycling (a lot of whole vehicles) and the sturdiness of older vs new equipment is crazy. The exception is windows.

I get top put hammer/crowbar/whatever to vehicles pretty much whenever I feel like it at work and spend a whole lot of time taking stuff off them to extract valuable/volatile stuff (mercury, palladium).

Most modern cars are built very lightly with new beetles, prius and ford rangers topping the list of drunk-engineer-specials. Jeeps are pretty nice, subarus are decent too.

Modern window glass is silly-strong often being very difficult to break (broke my 10oz hammer handle on a qx4 side window yesterday, glass held)

• Like 1

do it!

if you have any questions on what mods work and what doesn't, good parts vs bad or whatever just PM me - I've been building JKs since they came out in 07.

Everything from mild budget boost builds to full on supercharged w/ coilovers, longarms and 40"s.

There are a lot of good parts out there and a lot of just plain crap especially when it comes to suspension.

here's the shop Jeep

972270f7.jpg

• Like 4

I stick with older vehicles.

I work with large scale recycling (a lot of whole vehicles) and the sturdiness of older vs new equipment is crazy. The exception is windows.

I get top put hammer/crowbar/whatever to vehicles pretty much whenever I feel like it at work and spend a whole lot of time taking stuff off them to extract valuable/volatile stuff (mercury, palladium).

Most modern cars are built very lightly with new beetles, prius and ford rangers topping the list of drunk-engineer-specials. Jeeps are pretty nice, subarus are decent too.

Modern window glass is silly-strong often being very difficult to break (broke my 10oz hammer handle on a qx4 side window yesterday, glass held)

True story. Even steel on cars doesn't quite seem like steel, and were I'm from new vehicles rust faster than bare steel on a ship.

Im in the market for a wrangler now. But I'm going early TJ:) I just love the 4.0 to much to get one with that chryco v6 abomination in it.

• Like 1