I don't have a scope on my Mosin yet, but have been planning on doing it for awhile. I have no interest in a period-correct mount, so the two I have narrowed it down to are these:

jmeck scope mount - uses a steel band around the receiver, no metal work, minor inletting in the stock

or

Rock Solid Industries drill and tap mount - evidently it's "rock solid", but requires the drill and tap, of course.

Both have good reviews. I'm tempted to go the jmeck route so I can avoid the screw holes in the receiver if ever I were to remove the scope. Both of these mounts require turned down bolt handles.

There are 3 main options if you ask me. I can't provide any links due to none of them being forum members, but that's why google exists.

1) The Rock Solid Industries scope mount is best for a traditional scoped rifle set up. An alternative could be the Jmeck scope mount, but it doesn't seem nearly as solid as a drill and tap mount.

2) The Brass Stacker (scout) scope mount allows you to still use your irons in tandem with an LER scope. I've got this one and it's been more than solid.

430989_10150857683944256_807009255_12624927_434706037_n.jpg

3) The last option is to knock off the rear sight and use the 11mm dovetail that it rides on to mount a scope. Beware, some of these rear sights have been silver soldered in and will require a fair amount of heat applied before they're willing to budge. It's inexpensive and effective, though you may need to secure the rings via pins so they don't slide off from the high recoil associated with the 7.62x54r round- here's an internet "how to" video that I found a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbuhHcylDBA&list=FLSdvR_WOQo3Kc8TisPEYA3w&index=46&feature=plpp_video

Edit: scouts don't require a turned down bolt handle, I just chose to go that route.

Edited by Salmonking
  • Like 1

If you get the mount that goes over the bolt you cant use stripper clips and you have to have a bent bolt.

For mine i found i didnt have enough room to push rounds down with my thumb so i had to grind the inside of the mount a bit. Also you need to be careful if the holes arent tapped straight you mount will be crooked.

Edited by Salt

I have a S&K scout scope mount that attaches on the rear sight. You just punch out the pin that holds the leaf on and it installs very securly. I'm happy with mine, I have a BSA Pistol scope on it, it was important to me to still be able to use stripper clips. The S&K mount doesn't have a picatinni rail, just two scope mount rings that srew strait into the mount.

Once again, I am very happy with mine. My iorn sights shot about 3 feet high at 100 yards so I had to do something : )

Got both the ati and rock solid. Mounted the ati on one for my kid to hunt with. Outside of having to trim a bit to get my fat fingers into the receiver to load it has held up well. Got the rock solid sitting in a box. I was going to use it on a heavy barreled project but decided to use a psl scope and rail. This is coming as soon as i get the time to mill an aluminum receiver mount block.

My 91/30 is the only rifle I have that doesn't have a scope on it, one reason is that I have an 03FFL and really don't want to change it from it's correct condition. Two, I don't ever really intend on doing anything more than target shoot with it and using the iron sights is one of the challenges. There is a fellow name of Josh Smith that runs Smith-Sights that makes an adjustable front sight now, even a couple with fiber optic inserts that will take care of the common high POI, and I happen to be the owner of Elby sight tools that machines adjusting tools for the various Mosins and a sponsor of the Russian Mosin Nagant forum, one of the "preservation" forums out there.

I've read quite a few good reviews by members on both the Jmeck as well as the Brasstacker mount.

I have a scope on my mosin.

I removed the rear sight base, put on a relatively cheap 11mm dovetail mount designed for airguns and an inexpensive illuminated scope in 4X.

I spent about $50 all together and it works fine, no problems whatsoever with mount or scope.

I also bedded the action and barrel, floated the middle and lapped the action.

I'm looking into doing this. My old eyes don't do so well with the iron sights. I'm leaning toward the Brass Stacker set-up as my Mosin has a few things going for it, reasons to be able to return to "stock" condition. I really should just buy another one and hope it's unremarkable.

My TWO M91/30's and one M44 mosin nagants are the THREE rifles I have SOLD and not regretted!!! I never bothered to scope any of them. They all shot like shit!! I was HAPPY to see them go!!! I have NEVER looked back, nor SERIOUSLY considered getting another. One of which I traded for a K31 Swiss... You wanna talk about a WORLD of difference, as far as accuracy, fit, and finish... and ONE of my K-31's is scoped and outshoots quite a few modern 308 sporting rifles at 100 yards!!! My buddy was pissed when a $130.00 K-31 shot sub inch groups at 100 yards while his $800.00 Howa .308 shot only INCH groups!!! LOL laugh.png

To each their own with the mosins of yore... all I can say is good riddance to mine... and if you want an old bolt action on the cheap... get a K31. If you MUST shoot 7.62X54R ammo... SPEND THE MONEY... get a PSL... and enjoy! Its far nicer to shoot than ANY mosin, EVER, and WAAAAAAY Easier to mount an optic on, with FAR more options!!! 032.gif

000.gif

My TWO M91/30's and one M44 mosin nagants are the THREE rifles I have SOLD and not regretted!!! I never bothered to scope any of them. They all shot like shit!! I was HAPPY to see them go!!! I have NEVER looked back, nor SERIOUSLY considered getting another. One of which I traded for a K31 Swiss... You wanna talk about a WORLD of difference, as far as accuracy, fit, and finish... and ONE of my K-31's is scoped and outshoots quite a few modern 308 sporting rifles at 100 yards!!! My buddy was pissed when a $130.00 K-31 shot sub inch groups at 100 yards while his $800.00 Howa .308 shot only INCH groups!!! LOL laugh.png

To each their own with the mosins of yore... all I can say is good riddance to mine... and if you want an old bolt action on the cheap... get a K31. If you MUST shoot 7.62X54R ammo... SPEND THE MONEY... get a PSL... and enjoy! Its far nicer to shoot than ANY mosin, EVER, and WAAAAAAY Easier to mount an optic on, with FAR more options!!! 032.gif

000.gif

WOW good trade for the K31! I agree it is a way better rifle. I like the mosins for the historical value. I especially like the carbines, I agree they are not very accurate (any that I've shot) but I just like running rounds through them and enjoying the fireball/BOOM while usually hitting my man sized target : )

I just bought a k31 for $65 with a pristine bore, nice gun, takes uncommon ammo though.

My wife is chopping it up for an metal art project.

WOW!!! :eek: Seriously?!?!?!?

Wanna send me the MAGAZINE???? Since you WONT BE NEEDING IT??? PLEASE ??? :D HELL... ANY parts you don't need off it, I would be happy to take of your hands!!! Let me know?? :D Cash Talks!!!

:smoke:

I just bought a k31 for $65 with a pristine bore, nice gun, takes uncommon ammo though.

My wife is chopping it up for an metal art project.

WOW!!! 015.gif Seriously?!?!?!?

Wanna send me the MAGAZINE???? Since you WONT BE NEEDING IT??? PLEASE ??? biggrin.png HELL... ANY parts you don't need off it, I would be happy to take of your hands!!! Let me know?? biggrin.png Cash Talks!!!

000.gif

If she doesn't use the magazine you can have it.

Most of the parts will be used as it is an interactive art piece.

I was both gleeful and sad at ruining a proud old rifle (though it had been crudely sporterized at some point) but hell, it turns a $65 rifle into an $800 item.

I'm currently helping her "convert" some 1800's defender revolvers (unsafe to shoot both cost me $25) a single shot 20 gauge from the fifties. I generally pick guns with little value or that cannot be fired. The Swiss rifle and the 20 gauge are kinda exceptions (the k31 is a tack driver, 3/4 MOA is easy)

Most peope find the Mosin to be inaccurate simply because they can't figure out the trigger. It's horrendous, lots of slack, major creep and it seems like trigger pull varies in each successive round. Normal pull is around 7-10 lbs. I polished several areas on the sear and trigger, did some light stoning on a couple of contact surfaces, a dab of Italian Gun Grease and it break right at 3 1/2 lbs. now. I have a carbine, one of the Chinese Type 53's that had a sewer bore on it so I have a 91/.30 barreled receiver on the way that I'm going to throw together with the T53 parts and see what I can come up with on that one, plan to bed it and float the barrel after all the usual work. I'll cut the barrel down to the carbine length, Brasstacker also makes a nifty little collar that you put on a shortened barrel, just center it and lock it down then you can use the original sight on the dovetail on the adapter.

• Like 1

Most peope find the Mosin to be inaccurate simply because they can't figure out the trigger. It's horrendous, lots of slack, major creep and it seems like trigger pull varies in each successive round. Normal pull is around 7-10 lbs. I polished several areas on the sear and trigger, did some light stoning on a couple of contact surfaces, a dab of Italian Gun Grease and it break right at 3 1/2 lbs. now. I have a carbine, one of the Chinese Type 53's that had a sewer bore on it so I have a 91/.30 barreled receiver on the way that I'm going to throw together with the T53 parts and see what I can come up with on that one, plan to bed it and float the barrel after all the usual work. I'll cut the barrel down to the carbine length, Brasstacker also makes a nifty little collar that you put on a shortened barrel, just center it and lock it down then you can use the original sight on the dovetail on the adapter.

I wish it were that easy to fix... In MY case... the rifles were JUNK. Trust me...

I have been shooting for close to 40 years... and would fancy myself no greenhorn when it comes to finding my way around a strange trigger. :up: LOL

If I could have made them shoot well, I would certainly have kept them... one was even a re-arseneled SNIPER... The side mount holes in the receiver were welded up where the original mount went!! When you get a worn out barrel... Its worn out no matter what ammo... factory, surplus, or reloads you try to run through it... :(

And its too bad... They *ARE* a fine gun with a long and interesting history!!!

:smoke:

Shoulda bought one of the heavy barrels that Classic was selling and rebarreled them! Just kidding... I just made an attempt at rebarreling a Chinese Type 53 with a sewer bore and got in over my head pretty quick. After facing the rear of the barrel I finally got the headspacing I was looking for, but needed the chamber reamed deeper and basically decided to stop beating a dead horse, I'll be giving the barrel to a buddy to make cannons out of and picked up a barreled receiver for a 91/30 up off of Gunbroker a couple of says ago, I'll shorten the barrel to carbine length to keep that nice fireball effect and put all the T53 parts on it. Should be interesting. I lean more towards the preservationist side on these old milsurps as to the rarer ones but the shot out ones like this one I'll do whatever with it. I actually got banned permanently from the 7.62x54r.net forums because I mentioned that I was going to do this on a completely different forum... talk about some anal people...

I can't complain too much about the Mosin's, I gross about $10k a year off of my sight adjusting tools for them.big_smile.gif

Every once in a while you'll see one pop up on Gunbroker, but usually for two or three times what they bought them for. I've also seen people post them on some of the Mosin forums once they figure out you can't just screw them into a receiver and go out shooting.

I got one of those crappy scout deals on mine, I don't like it. The weight is way off and awkward. I'm going to drill and tap it and put a good scope on it. I'll put the scout scope on my .44 lever action.

• 1 year later...

This guy's got ya covered on the scope mount part, all you need to have is a spare armrest of a chair kicking around!  big_smile.gif       

Edit:  Why the fuck are we resurrecting two year old threads.  Guess I need to start watching the posting dates, been noticing this shit quite frequently for some reason lately.

Edited by Tundra1

Hello

Check out TrueShot Technologies. http://www.trueshottechnologies.com/mosin-nagant.html

They are just marketing a scope mount. It's not a "scout" type, it is a "see-through" that allows you to use your irons, and it's solid as a rock.

It will require bolt handle mod's.

I can't say enough good stuff about the Timney trigger, either. It also includes it's own safety, replacing that POS that comes with the gun.

JMHO.......

-Guido in Houston