Hey all smile.png

I am in the market for a new handguard for my 5.45. The standard handguard that came on mine does not have a heat shield. This sucks. after about a hundred rounds of relatively fast firing, the handguard starts to smoke.

I want something that is either Aluminium (so i can mount a vertical foregrip) or is heat shielded.

I was looking at the midwest industries hand guard, but the thing i dont like about it is that you have to bolt the upper and lower handguard together. Seems like a bit of a pain in the ass when you want to disassemble the rifle for cleaning. Especially the gas tube. That is probably the biggest reason why i wont get one.

so, what to do now?

I found this setup, I think its from a firm called GunTec, that is an aluminium handguard (upper and lower) that is not bolted together. I am not going to be using the upper rail for anything, so i don't really care if it holds zero or not. This will still let me take down the rifle, and clean that nasty gas tube.

here is the link:

http://www.sepcontac...sh_Gallery.html

They also have handguards in kydex, but meh. I'd rather get the aluminium version.

Does anyone have any experience with this handguard? any pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks again lads,

Red.

I hear you sir.

just aluminium rails by themselves is not comfortable at all. I did find some nice rail covers that dont bulk it out too much, as well as i want to put a foregrip onto it. So, am not terribly concerned with the rails on the bottom, It will be comfortable with the rail covers, and well comfortable with the grip.

I really just want something that will be super durable, and wont melt after a bunch of shooting :)

Have you checked out the STK Tactical HG? It's relatively heavy but the polymer is tough and it has a heat shield. My subjective impression is that this is the toughest poly HG for AK's

STK-HG-Left-CLOSE.jpg

STK on right, LHV47 on left. LHV is excellent but doesn't have a heat shield. Much cheaper than the STK too, I really like mine and while I haven't tried to melt it I did shoot it alot and it never seemed like it was going to be damaged.

STK-LHV47-Left.JPG

STK-LHV47-Top.JPG

Z

Just a question....as I am facing the same problem, but using the "not-correct" Tapco Intrafuse fore-end ( for me..."correctness" doesn't matter, but getting another 922r part helps...and is easy to install, being a "lower" only).

How dificult is it to shape/fit a thin stainless steel sheet....shaped in a "U" cross-section? If there are bolt/bolt-holes thru the handguard to add rails, these can be used to mount the heat shield.

Hey there Zen!

That handguard looks like it will do perfectly. Only problem is my google-fu cannot find it. Kalinka didn't even have it. :(

Could you message me a link to where you got it or something?

Hey IPSC45, I would imagine that with the correct tools and careful measurement, it would be quite do-able. I would try find as much reference as to what a heatshield looks like, Cross section, length, radius of curve, all of that, then try and fabricate one :)

Let us know how it turns out if you do try it!

Thanks again guys,

Red.

I would think the dimensions would be pretty "unit-specific"...as you are noodling thru your version that duplicates a proper AK fore-arm...and I am working on the Tapco piece. The specs should be pretty simple...as thin as needed to allow fitment,as this is not a structural piece but a thermally-reflective piece. A "small" amount of stand-off from the inside surface ( if possible).....using nuts/bolts as the stand-off leg and mounting points. Of course, needs to be sized and shaped to fit the internal profile of the guard....probably best done with a paper cardboard template you need to make....for the specific unit you are working with.

Not doing it now.....but sometime soon. If it works...will surely post here.....but my point is that "in-principle"....this should be do-able by the average DIY'er.

There is also hot-rod "header wrap"....made of sticky heat-resitant material that wraps around multi-tube engine exhaust headers.....that might work and may be easier to apply.

Edited by IPSC45

I have seen the header wrap in auto stores... That is a great idea sir!

The only thing I can think of that would cause it to not work is the thickness of the wrap itself. If the thickness of the wrap is too great, you may get some issues trying to fit the now thicker barrel into the handguard.

Still an interesting idea though, I will do some homework and see if i can find out the dimensions of header wrap :)

I just recently swapped out my polymer for wood on my sgl31 and I plan on keeping it this way especially through the summer. When dumping mags in the middle of summer the polymer would get hot and would smell of burning plastic. The wood has faired much better so far. Im sure there is a way to fit your own rails to a wood hand guard too. Apex gun parts has surplus bulgarian wood sets for 25 bucks picked up two sets. There a little dinged up but I plan on eventually trying my hand at refinishing them.

Yeah, Im thinking of just getting those. I cant find the Russian ones Zen posted either.

What do you think of the wood handguards? how do they do with the heat?

I've haven't really gotten them hot yet, but I can let you know tomorrow. Nice thing about those was that they were only $25 for the entire set: Stock, upper and lower HGs, and PG.

I just recently swapped out my polymer for wood on my sgl31 and I plan on keeping it this way especially through the summer. When dumping mags in the middle of summer the polymer would get hot and would smell of burning plastic. The wood has faired much better so far. Im sure there is a way to fit your own rails to a wood hand guard too. Apex gun parts has surplus bulgarian wood sets for 25 bucks picked up two sets. There a little dinged up but I plan on eventually trying my hand at refinishing them.

Didn't see this, but that is where I got mine. I refinished them and they turned out great.

Edited by W8lifter