Russian AK Gas Tube Won't Fit

So I got a take off AK gas tube/top hand guard combo from a seller. It doesn't drop in to my Saiga (seems like it's a tiny bit long).

I've read some comments saying, essentially, "file it." I'm not sure which part to file. My guess at this point is to file the end that connects to the trunion? Should I just need to file the bottom lip of the tube, then?

Any advice before I bubba the thing is welcome.

rolleyes.gif

Compair it to the OEM and see what is diffreant.

My bet is on the gas block end that has to be filed.

Let others chime in before you do anything.

File on the rear sight block end of tube to match up and to be able to lock in and if it is still to long then switch to the gas block end and file it down to fit. Agent Lemon is right saigas do use 74'/100 series gas tubes with retaining spring and are of a slightly different shape. Yet a lot of ak's have different size gas tubes and a gas tube that will fit in one might not fit in the other even if they are the same models. I had to file my first gas tube down to fit but after I did the full front end build (swap gas block, front sight block, and handguard retainer) my gas tube wouldn't lock into place and I had to order an 74' gas tube to allow it to lock in place. Just file it to fit and enjoy.

Edited by themadhatter196

Do you have the original Saiga gas tube?

Do what I did in these pictures. The one on the right is the AKM one, the one on the left is a Saiga one.

The second picture is Saiga and Saiga.

Basically, put your gas tube against the original Saiga one. They should be symmetrical.

post-36320-0-50948200-1337139879_thumb.jpg

post-36320-0-03145000-1337139900_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hello, I'm new...just got a Saiga 7.62 16".

I have all the furniture from an old AK that I've refinished. I've been having issues trying to find gas tubes other than Dinzags '74 at $45.

I found some from a '47 , AKM, for $20 shipped...I'm afraid I still don't know everything about AK's and was wondering if this would fit (even if minor filling is required?)

Any help would be appreciated, sorry for the recurrent question.

but would a 74/100 style be exactly the same as the Saiga? I'll have to take a look on mine to see if they match up (not near the parts right now).

Many of those parts may not be Russian even though AK74. There are parts from one Saiga to the next that may not be exact fits.If you look at the 2 Saiga tubes they are close but not EXACTLY the same. One may not lock on another gun without some fitting is all. I had to fit the gas tubes I used to put wood on the front of mine. Part of owning one of these things. Edited by rnemhrd

Just installed one of those K-Var gas tubes. Very minor filing was required to have the lock lever fully close.

Picked up a gas tube from CSS awhile back. It dropped in with no fitting and is little loose even with the tension clip.

Have another gas tube on the way from a past forum member. Interested to see how that one fits.