Reusing trigger guard on 5.45x39

i just ordered a 5.45x39 saiga from Atlantic and have no idea how to reuse the factory trigger guard on a rifle, on all my AKs the trigger guard is part of the mag catch, so i ordered a trigger guard and mag catch assembly and wondered if the best thing to do would be just remove the old mag catch and put a whole new assembly on or try to use the factory trigger guard and mag catch. i am wondering about how to attach the front of the reused factory trigger guard for the conversion? also, the trigger guard assembly i ordered is from an ak47, would the mag catch be the same as a 74? i don't have any 5.45 guns to compare it to

I reused mine. Since I didn't have any carbide drill bits, I had a problem drilling through a weld and used an EDM to burn a new whole. Very cool process but most people don't have access to that kind of equipment. You can anneal that part of the trigger guard which will also anneal the weld so you can drill a new hole. Instructions for reusing the old trigger guard can be found here. Good luck!

I reused mine. Since I didn't have any carbide drill bits, I had a problem drilling through a weld and used an EDM to burn a new whole. Very cool process but most people don't have access to that kind of equipment. You can anneal that part of the trigger guard which will also anneal the weld so you can drill a new hole. Instructions for reusing the old trigger guard can be found here. Good luck!

Don't drill the weld, chisel it. I use a screwdriver and a hammer s to break the weld, and it only takes a few seconds to seperate.

thanks, i'm probably going to just replace the whole mag catch with a new trigger guard/mag catch assembly, does anyone know if the 7.62x39 mag catch is the same as the 5.45x39?

Should be but will probably be a file to fit set up. I installed the RAM Speed Catch and had to remove quite a bit of material from it. I doubt OEM mag catches will require that much fitting though. Good luck.

I have my factory trigger guard just inserted under the front mag-catch assembly. There is enough tension (due to it being just slightly too long for the rear holes to line up) to keep it where it is. Sounds shoddy, but I can't even begin to move it with my hands. If it ever became a problem, I can drill a hole, but I've never once had it move.

• Like 1

I have my factory trigger guard just inserted under the front mag-catch assembly. There is enough tension (due to it being just slightly too long for the rear holes to line up) to keep it where it is. Sounds shoddy, but I can't even begin to move it with my hands. If it ever became a problem, I can drill a hole, but I've never once had it move.

Same on one of mine. Works great.

+1 on the triggerguard tuck. It won't budge, even when I yank hard on it. It sounded pretty "hokie" until I tried it. I'm a bit OCD and I'm still okay with it.

You could also just replace the triggerguard and leave the mag-catch alone, unless you are a "purest".

Edited by Sim_Player
  • 2 weeks later...

I like to drill a hole through the reveiver under the mag catch and use a screw and nut. I just feel more comfortable with this. A little bit of a PITA, but worth it to me.