I broke a 6-32 Craftsman tap in a trunnion and couldn't smash it out no matter how hard I tried. I ended up going to the local hardware store and getting a pointed diamond Dremel engraving/cutting bit and dug directly into the tap and instantly saw grey powder start building up. I was able to grind into the hole enough to finally drive the rest of the tap out with a punch, then went with an 8-32 drill bit/tap combo from Irwin.

This is the Dremel bit I used: http://www.dremel.co...l.aspx?pid=7134

Edited by Milsurps 4 Me
  • Like 3

I broke a 6-32 Craftsman tap in a trunnion and couldn't smash it out no matter how hard I tried. I ended up going to the local hardware store and getting a pointed diamond Dremel engraving/cutting bit and dug directly into the tap and instantly saw grey powder start building up. I was able to grind into the hole enough to finally drive the rest of the tap out with a punch, then went with an 8-32 drill bit/tap combo from Irwin.

This is the Dremel bit I used: http://www.dremel.co...l.aspx?pid=7134

hmm . . . this is an interesting solution. I actually don't own a dremel-style tool yet, so it would give me the excuse to buy one. Do all Dremel brand bits work in off brand dremel-style tools? I was looking at a rotary tool from Northern Industrial.

Edited by irishsandman

i havent tried it yet, but i would think it would sandman.i bought the best model i could at the time for around 100 bucks. id avoid the cordless dremel. i bought one and the batteries wouldnt hold a charge, nor charge. it may have been a lemon, but fuck it. when it comes to this tool, ill stick with corded.

i think you will find great appreciation for these little guys. to me, they are an investment and a necessity for working on guns. how much is the one from northern?

Edited by Captain Hero
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I feel like I should also add that people are complaining about broken taps from kits left and right and there's speculation that CSS got a bad batch of them.

Add one more case to the recent broken CSS tap list. I just broke mine tonight that came with a guide I ordered from CSS about two weeks ago. I took it very slow, backed it out after every half turn, used oil, and it still snapped.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised to hear the bad-luck stories with the cordless Dremels. I got the next to the cheapest one at wally-world and it works like a champ. I couldn't see buying a expensive one when I'm just going to use it a few times. If I get to where I'm helping a lot of friends with conversions or something, I may find out I need a better one. I'm not trying to be argumentive or anything. I just wanted to let people know that if they have most of their extra money tied-up in trying to get parts and furniture and don't want to spend too much money on tools yet, the cordless option may be good enough for now. If not, take it back for a refund, after you're done with the 10 minute job on the conversion.

i dont know. mine was kinda shitty from the get go. others' have had much better luck than i have. i figured it may have been bad batteries, but i think the tool kit itself was the lemon. mine shuts down in the middle of use, batteries wont charge, and if they do, they wont hold a charge for shit. thats when i said fuck it and went and got a corded model and havent looked back since. but if yours works, then hell, use it up man. they have many good uses.

Don't feel bad about snapping a tap off in your $300 rifles.. I worked on a Chinese ship this week where the crew was installing a $20,000 satellite antenna in preparation for my arrival - we did not ask them to do this.. They snapped a stainless bolt off flush into the antenna while installing the it onto its mast. Then, they took the antenna off, drilled out part of the bolt, and tried to tap the hollow bolt shank for a smaller metric thread (dumb). They snapped the cheap Chinese tap off inside the shank of the stainless bolt. I shattered the tap out with a punch similar to what is suggested here, carefully drilled out most of the stainless bolt shank, and chased the original threads with a quality metric tap.

Oh yeah we charged them bigtime for that - that was about a $700 drill & tap job. They were not even supposed to unpack the equipment, much less try and install it.

I had the same problem and I have plenty of experience using taps and drilling into metal. This had to be the time that things went wrong. The solution with the dremel worked best for me as well. Punching it out doesnt seem to work because the peices are so small and when they are practically fused with the metal of the trunion theres no room for the expansion that needs to take place for it to shatter. None the less, best of luck Drill and dremmel away!

never had a problem drilling and tapping, got 2 kids so im good at it :) no but seriously...i have made my own bullet guide and installed a dinzag arms one. id advise buying a vendor bullet guide rather than makeing your own, because getting screw that will give your bolt clearence while holding the homeade bullet guide to the trunion of the gun is like frickin impossible. i did do it but it took alot. it has held up good but i always find myself haveing to tighten it. i wounder if i could just weld it with my stick or mig if it would cause anyproblems??? i may eventually do that bc in my mind fuck jb weld if i have an actual arc welder..

never had a problem drilling and tapping, got 2 kids so im good at it smile.png no but seriously...i have made my own bullet guide and installed a dinzag arms one. id advise buying a vendor bullet guide rather than makeing your own, because getting screw that will give your bolt clearence while holding the homeade bullet guide to the trunion of the gun is like frickin impossible. i did do it but it took alot. it has held up good but i always find myself haveing to tighten it. i wounder if i could just weld it with my stick or mig if it would cause anyproblems??? i may eventually do that bc in my mind fuck jb weld if i have an actual arc welder..

Lol I'm there with you too...two lil' ones. I'd rather buy from a vendor as well simply to help support them in this niche market.

It's not advisable to weld the BG in unless you really know what you're doing, apparently. pretty easy to warp/melt the trunnion I guess.

i actually am a welder so it shouldnt be all TO bad...im not keen on doing it anytime soon, but when my homeade bullet guide starts giveing me issues i probley WILL have to weld it in there permenatley. Seeing as how i drilled and tapped it into there, i doubt i could go and buy a vendors one and put that one in there if this one fails. To many tiny little holes that would be closley grouped together in the trunion.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like I should also add that people are complaining about broken taps from kits left and right and there's speculation that CSS got a bad batch of them.

Can anyone recommend what to look for in a tap?

I bought one at Home Depot and its too soft, the cutting threads on the tap just round off.

I know there are different types and materials used in taps, but none say "for tapping Russian bullet guides"

• 2 months later...

Drill it strait through,use cutting oil , 1/4 to 1/3 turn with the tap and then back it of every time until its through. Never force a small tap .

If your having trouble driving the tap out it is because the bottom of the trunnion is not backed up. Just a suggestion good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Don't feel bad about snapping a tap off in your $300 rifles.. I worked on a Chinese ship this week where the crew was installing a $20,000 satellite antenna in preparation for my arrival - we did not ask them to do this.. They snapped a stainless bolt off flush into the antenna while installing the it onto its mast. Then, they took the antenna off, drilled out part of the bolt, and tried to tap the hollow bolt shank for a smaller metric thread (dumb). They snapped the cheap Chinese tap off inside the shank of the stainless bolt. I shattered the tap out with a punch similar to what is suggested here, carefully drilled out most of the stainless bolt shank, and chased the original threads with a quality metric tap.

Oh yeah we charged them bigtime for that - that was about a $700 drill & tap job. They were not even supposed to unpack the equipment, much less try and install it.

The should have just used JB weld!!haha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gif

If you weld the bullet guide in i'd suggest first roughing up the areas of contact on the guide and the partt of the receiver where it goes. It will hold a lot better that way. You can also build up weld around the guide and in the empty screw hole and then sand smooth. My bullet guide went fine but the tap snapped in my friends identical gun and then we popped it off and proceeded to break another tap into it. At that point we welded as I said above and it looks cleaner than mine and it has stood its ground through about 1000 rounds. Just make sure you weld it good and honestly it should work fine. Worse case scenario... you gotta chizel and grin id out and try another method. But as bullet guide instalments go I have yet to see one that is absolutely permanent.

I've even seen a bullet guide JBWelded on that the owner says held for as long as he's had it.

Basically in summery, if the other options don't work and/or they don't have the outcome you want, don't be afraid to weld it. And I wouldn't jbweld it... I was just saying I've seen it work.

Ps. Sorry that was a novel of a reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is welded and the hole filled in. It does look cleaner than the screw, which I have on another conversion. I also refinished the entire rifle. Parked, then norrells matte black. Bullet guide looks like it was built into the rifle now.

• 2 weeks later...
im not sure why they couldn't just add them at the factory seems like a waste of time. to try and add it yourself later

Because our almightly superiors won't allow importation of rifles that (as is) except/use military magazines (even though its legal to mod it to, so long as you follow 922r). Just ONE of this countries bizzare, illogical, ineffective importation regs. Our trade regs are a mess and hurt this county severely but our fearless leaders don't have the balls to stick up for us and do something about it. Every country rapes us in trade, and we just take it.

Brian, the lack of bullet guide is a result of Russian civilian firearms ownership and export law, not US law.

I was under the impression it disables the use of military issue magazines. Saiga's have no bullet guide, Wasr's have single stack mag well. Seems to be import regs to me. If not, then you'd see Wasr's with full open mag wells coming in to the US, but you don't.

Edited by Brian M1