Kishnapup Bullpup 410 conversion - General Impressions

OK Ladies and Gents and all the rest of you. There seems to be some interest in the Kishnapup bullpup. I recieved mine yesterday and installed it on a recently acquired unconverted 410. Here's the 1st of what I hope will be several "reviews".

Scope of project: I have honestly wanted a bullpup for awhile. I went down the path of the Shernik for the SKS but after 8 months, I was tired of waiting. Acquired a nice 410 with 3 10 round mags for 3 bills and then found the Kishnapup and decided to go for it. I wanted a PDW that was as short as possible and could be used by both myself and my wife for home defense without the tax stamp hassles. I also may challenge the east Texas hog population to some CQB. Finally, I want to eventually build a short rifle in 556 or 545 for my BOB but the jury is still out on whether this will fit that need.

Overall Impressions: The stock seems flimsy as you pull it out of the box but once installed, the stock seems very solid. IMHO at least as good as the standard Saiga furniture or an AR. It is a very nice looking bullpup IMHO. OK bullpus are ugly, but this one isnt that ugly! INstallation is pretty straightforward with some plastic trimming her and there, but the instructions suck. Mainteneance should be pretty easy as you only have to remove 3 screws to get to the top cover and a little screwdriver is stored in the pistol grip. Cleaning the gas tube on a rifle conversion will be a little more challenging. IMHO the trigger pull is a vast improvement over the stock trigger pull and is as good as my converetd Saigas.It is not as light as my converted Saigas but has a definite 2 stage feel and a pretty clean break. The trigger mechanism is simple with only 3 moving parts but the trgigger itself is plastic and rides in a plastic channel. I have to wonder how long it can last, particularly under the recoil of a 12 or 7.62X51. The stock gets it's strength from a ribbed design rather than a lot of solid plastic. Again, it seems very solid once installed but may require some JB weld or acraglass filler here and there to beef up the recoil areas. This stock dramatically improves handling. The gun feels much lighter than it's 8.25 lbs and I beleive it could be shot easilly with one hand. Mag changes seem no worse than the usual AK rock and lock. They are made with the weak side hand and some training will be required. It seems very easy to keep the gun up and on target during a mag change but live fire tends to change impressions on that. I cant completely endorse this stock yet, as I have no live fire experience, but it seems very suitable for the 410, 20, 556, 545 and 7.62X39 Saigas. Particularly in a home defense or casual shooter role where the reality is that 1000s of rounds wont be fired through the weapon. I'm not sure it would stand up in the long run to the 7.62X51 or 12 guage, particularly under heavy usage, 3 gun competition and the like.

Pros:

Fast shipping

Easy straight forward install

Drops 13.5 inches from the OAL of any Saiga

Good trigger pull

Great handling

Cons

Plastic trigger riding in plastic rails.: I would love to see an aluminum trigger option for this stock.

The tang is supposed to be cut off : I couldnt bring myself to do this, so I cut a slot in the buttpad and the tang stick out 1/2 inch. It seems to ride above my shoulder but the reality during live fire may be different. Kishnapup website says they are working on a buttplate that will cover the tang and I will probably fabricate my own.

Not optics ready. : A gas tube rail or other sighting system will be required. I am waiting on a 410 rail from CSS that is supposed to be ready in a couple of weeks.

Expense: The stock is a little pricey at nearly 3 bills shipped, especially since you will need a $100 rail for your optics.

The instructions suck.

Here are a coupl of pics. The rail is just a mock up using a piece left over from my 12 conversion.

I hope this helps some of you who may be interested in a bullpup Saiga.

post-1798-0-15335700-1337355827_thumb.jpg

post-1798-0-20028400-1337355852_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Good Job Brownwood! Thanks for the initial review. +1 to the aluminum trigger system.

Whats holding me back from getting one:

1- the price, wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have the following problems:

2-cutting the tang

3-as you said, plastic trigger on plastic rails huh.png

4- need for rail and optics, this should have been incorporated prior to manufacturing. Now almost every end user has to buy a rail and optics to utilize the platform. More $$$

5- old trigger system. Dont have it on any of my AK's

6- doesnt seem to work to well with S12, we'll see after more reviews.

with all that said, it is an attractive platform.

question: is that tape residue on your stock or does it just look that way?

Good Job Brownwood! Thanks for the initial review. +1 to the aluminum trigger system.

Whats holding me back from getting one:

1- the price, wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have the following problems:

2-cutting the tang

3-as you said, plastic trigger on plastic rails huh.png

4- need for rail and optics, this should have been incorporated prior to manufacturing. Now almost every end user has to buy a rail and optics to utilize the platform. More $$$

5- old trigger system. Dont have it on any of my AK's

6- doesnt seem to work to well with S12, we'll see after more reviews.

with all that said, it is an attractive platform.

question: is that tape residue on your stock or does it just look that way?

Great points. I justified this a little because I usually take the easy out and use CSS conversion kits. My conversions cost $150 to $200 so whats another c note right?

Good eye on the pics. I taped a leftover rail from my S12 quad rail to get a feel for the 410 with Optics.

Great points. I justified this a little because I usually take the easy out and use CSS conversion kits. My conversions cost $150 to $200 so whats another c note right?

Good eye on the pics. I taped a leftover rail from my S12 quad rail to get a feel for the 410 with Optics.

This is true. lol, im glad thats just your tape and not how the stock actually is. Good Idea. Thanks again for the review.

No disrespect ment by this. And Im not trying to shit in on your thread. Your taste is different from mine and thats all good but.......god damn thats one FUGLY looking thing. It looks like the Saiga ate a Steyr Aug and is now having constipation.

Sorry just my 2 cents.

If you like it and enjoy shooting it thats all that matters

On their website they state that on the 16" rifles you can't cut off the tang for legal reasons (eg. Too short overall length). Since they don't make a product that rectifies that they basically contradict their own claim that it will fit most all the saigas. That tang looks like it could inflict some serious hurt. This being observed, I still think it is great that people continue to innovate and offer new products for the Saiga.

I'm glad you got your order. I've been following these since they first came on the Forums. I love bullpups, but am not a fan of the Styer/Tavor styling. I had enough of "standardization" while in the service, lol. To me me the Styer style doesn't leave much room for personaliztion. Some of course, but not much.

I do see what appears to be predilled holes for rails in the foreend. That helps. But no top rail option. For $300 shipped? I bulked at the KVar kit and it was little more than half that, but still no top rail as well. Also I could be wrong, but no pg storage? And it all seems a little wide/bulky? Kinda reminds me of the 10/22 bullpup, without the carry handle/sight.

I hope it works for you and you really get all the enjoyment/utility out of it you hoped for. I am looking forward to your finished weapon.

• Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.