OK... Lets talk about enchiladas.

Yeah, I love Mexican food, go figure with the nick ChileRelleno.

That and growing up in SoCal, NW TX and rooming with a Mexican family for a couple years.

I learned a little cooking.

Enchiladas Verde

4lbs boneless/skinless pollo, boiled and hand shredded

2 large cebolla diced

3 large chile Jalapeno minced

1 bundle Cilantro, use just the leafy greens and chop finely

8-10 small cans of Herdez Salsa Verde (or make it fresh yourself, if you can find the tomatillos)

1-2 jars Crema Fresca, this a thick cream, you can substitute, 'heavy cream' or 'cream for whipping'.

1 large bag of good Tortillas de Maize (thats corn tortillas for you gringos)

1 medium/large round of Queso Anejo

salt

In a large/deep skillet or soup pot, place your shredded chicken, diced onions, minced chiles and approx 1 cup chopped cilantro.

Add 5-6 cans of the Salsa Verde, now add Crema Fresca until you like the consistency and flavor (I like mine thick and spicy), add salt to flavor.

Low simmer for a half hour.

Take the rest of your Salsa Verde and crema fresca, combine as a sauce to top enchiladas, set aside.

Heat a inch or two of oil, and lightly heat/soften the tortillas.

Take 2-3 4qt (15x10) baking dishes and cover bottoms with thin layer of sauce from chicken.

Now take a tortilla in hand and fill with enough chicken to allow you to fold it closed, place fold down in pan, repeat, keeping them snug together.

(makes double rows and I usually get three lengthwise down one edge... Just fill'em up!)

When done rolling and filling dishes, pour sauce over tops, sprinkle with remaining cilantro, crumble the cheese and liberally spread over enchiladas.

Cook uncovered at 350', till cheese melts and browns a little.

I serve with my own Arroz Mexicana and whole Frijoles.

Frijoles, pintos or negros

I like mine slow soaked overnight, drained, added to a large soup pot in which 1 large onion, 1-2 large Jalapenos and 2-3 large cloves of garlic have been roasted on high heat with a little oil.

Just cover with water and start on a fast simmer, cook for 1 hour, reduce to slow simmer, add salt, cumin, chile powder to taste, cook till beans are as tender as a virgin's hymen.

Chile's Arroz Mexicana

Heat approx 1/2-3/4 cup olive oil in a large sauce pan, get it HOT, now add 1lb of white rice and keep stirring till it is opaque.

Maintain the high heat... add in 1 cup diced onion and 1 heaping teaspoon of minced garlic, keep stirring till rice starts to toast golden.

Add in 2 cups of tomato puree, and 4 cups of chicken broth ( I make double strength bullion for more flavor), salt & cumin to taste, bring to rolling boil, cover, reduce heat to a simmer for approx 25-30 min.

Chips & fresh pico de gallo or guacamole.

Horchata or cerveza

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

I'm personally too lazy to do much more than scramble some eggs, grill chicken, pork ribs, or steak, or bake a potato; when I'm asked to "cook", so I appreciate the sharing of recipes and methods, Chile. 032.gif

I'll be sure to give this recipe to the next chica I can convince to cook for me. biggrin.png

Edited by post-apocalyptic

damn,Chile......laying here in bed getting ready to go to sleep.Decided to look at a couple things before lights out and now you have made me very hungry for some kick ass Mexican food.Will have to try this for sure,sounds very good.Thanks for sharinggreedy.gif