folding stock & pistol grip legal?

I just got a Saiga .308 21.8" barrel, fixed stock. Here in Michigan, you dont need to register it if it's under 30". With the fixed stock off, the Gun measures almost 31". So if get a folding stock, it will still be over 30" with the stock folded. Is the folding stock itself illegal? What about a pistol grip? I would guess that the length is the main spec, since I can't find any laws stating that the folding stock/pistol grip on their own is illegal.

absolutely legal. There is nothing regulating the use of folding stocks or pistol grips in Michigan, providing the rifle is over 30" when folded.

I'd like to suggest you try this folding stock here, designed by a fellow Michigander.

http://www.bonesteelarms.com/AK-Saiga-folding-stock-hinge-for-modular-stocks-akfsace.htm

or this one if you prefer AR style stocks

http://www.bonesteelarms.com/Ak-Saiga-Folding-stock-with-integral-AR15-extension-tube-akfstb.htm

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. beer.gif

Pistol grips and folding stocks are fine in MI. No need to register anything, unless its overall length is under 30". If you DO register it though, you can get a CPL and have it loaded in your vehicle, since it would be a pistol, under MI law.

• Like 1

thanks guys. That's what i wouldve guessed. never hurts to double check. so I ordered a bonesteel folding stock. but which pistol grip do you guys recommend? It seems as if I can order one with a new trigger guard and use the factory trigger? Is that because, for import, the original trigger was attached (jimmy rig) to some sort of lever that hooks to the trigger that's on there? Pretty FUBAR if thats the case.

I'm pretty sure the Bonesteel stock requires moving the trigger, which means you'll need new FCG components. That's the more ideal setup anyway though, since the .308 trigger is notoriously weird. The factory trigger guard can be reused with the new trigger location with some slight bending and re-attaching.

As for which pistol grip, I'm a fan of both the Hogue Overmolded grip and the MD Arms Molot grip.

I'm pretty sure the Bonesteel stock requires moving the trigger, which means you'll need new FCG components. That's the more ideal setup anyway though, since the .308 trigger is notoriously weird. The factory trigger guard can be reused with the new trigger location with some slight bending and re-attaching.

As for which pistol grip, I'm a fan of both the Hogue Overmolded grip and the MD Arms Molot grip.

Thanks, I'll check those out. But am I right in my understanding that there's 2 triggers in my gun (before any mod). Does one trigger just actuate the original trigger? Or did the remove the old trigger and the new one just actuates the old trigger action?

• 4 weeks later...

Damn. Brand recommendations on the FCG?

Tapco, Texas AK Triggers, Red Star Arms. No experience with the RSA trigger as I don't see the need for an adjustable AK trigger personally, but people seem to like them. I have Tapco and Texas triggers, both work fine. The Texas trigger seems slightly smoother/lighter and the trigger face has grooves for more traction. The Tapco G2 is the most popular commercial AK FCG.

I found a good guy who works locally. Underground Arms. I found him through a recommendation from the owner of a local range. Turns out I went to Grade school with the gunsmith (Thanks Craig). Anyways, he put on a Tapco trigger (single hook) and a Molot grip w/ a Carolina guard. He did an awesome job, and he cleaned and polished the bolt assembly so it slides a lot smoother now. My only issue is that the trigger is really touchy. Very crisp, almost too crisp. I'm used to the double action trigger on my Glock, which I like since I can bring it almost all the way back and then re-aim at the last minute. Not with my Saiga. The rule about keep my finger away from the trigger that I learned years ago could never be more true.