Kushnapup Bullpup Stock. MY REVIEW.

Here are some better pictures of the CSS rail and sight. Indy, I do appreciate your picture of the sight view, that is a tough one to take:

Top View:

post-42488-0-17787100-1340920551_thumb.jpg

Side View Right:

post-42488-0-39228500-1340920558_thumb.jpg

Side View left:

post-42488-0-40897800-1340920565_thumb.jpg

Another view to show Clearance:

post-42488-0-84317500-1340920572_thumb.jpg

With the Optics:

post-42488-0-99342400-1340920579_thumb.jpg

Completed:

post-42488-0-04151900-1340920587_thumb.jpg

Mike

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have had the rail in the works for a few months before the bullpup release and I have not held one. We could make a taller dovetail key to fit the rail. Indy how much taller would it need to be to

Thinking about doing one of these for the wife. Only thing is, she shoots lefty. Any way this could be fired off the left shoulder? I may try to fabricate a shell deflector if theres enough space. Id

Indy -- it seems bizzare to me that anyone would bring such a product to market without a trigger guard... How hard does it look to add one?   I would want one, just for a comfortable place to rest

Posted Images

I got the latest design rail from CSS last week, sorry for the delay in getting it mounted and pics taken... But GOOD things are WORTH waiting for!!! 032.gif

The new rail design has a mid-height riser insert for the dovetail. and there are TWO set screws machined into the rail itself... This allows you to not only adjust the poitch of the rail, allowing it to be TRUELY LEVEL and parallel with the firearm, but also to give two more points of contact to help tighten it up and lock it down!

If you have the KPUP and need a small optic rail mounting solution... I think they nailed it with this one!

Pics are as follows...

View from the front with the rail and optic installed...

frrail1.jpg

View from the left side... you can see the set screws and the positioning of them, to secure the rail to the gun. Clearances are just about PERFECT with this setup!!

LRail1.jpg

a Side view of the rail and optic...

rrail1.jpg

A right side view of the rail installed... Even with that TINY GAP under the dovetail, this is still rock solid... you want to be sure NOT TO OVERTIGHTEN the set screw in the dovetail insert too much as it COULD potentially cause the edges to break looseand fly up and out of the dovetail on the firearm.

On the rail I received I fired about 80 2 3/4" and 3" slugs through it and had ZERO issues whatsoever with loosening. Will it hold up to years of slug shooting? not sure... I havent had it for years yet... But for one range trip and probably more slugs than most people will run through their shotguns at one time... it held up JUST FINE! 032.gif I suppose if you were REALLY worried... one could put threadlock all over the insert, or perhaps fill the void underneath with JB weld or similar...

rrail2.jpg

If you need any questions answered, or want more pics, let me know! 032.gif

000.gif

Thanks for the pics Indy. We ended up using a slightly shorter dove tailed key than what we first sent out. If anyone that purchased the taller version would like the mid level one, please email me your name to sales@carolinashooterssupply.com. We will send the medium level dove tailed key out at no charge.

• Like 1

I would recommend the mid-length key to those with KPUP's and a tall KEY... unless you LIKE the taller key... giving your optic just that little bit extra height... I found for ME... the mid length gave me the best balace of both. :up:

:smoke:

yeah my problem is im right outside the city limits on long island. And this is a hot topic on my local forum longislandfirearms.com . I know if I brought my s12 with this configuration to the range anywhere around here I would be getting asked about it and gawked at all day, thats my only concern, I would probably wind up with my picture on the forum from another member reporting that they saw one live and in person. Its very grey, I even emailed Kushnapup to see how many approx units were sold to the NY area just to see but I have yet to receive a reply. I'm about to assemble it and bury it in my yard.

Stick a rifle platform in it instead, then... no worries. biggrin.png Simple solution. 032.gif that also might be my next step... remove the S12 and insert a 21" barrel 308 into it... i would LOVE ME a 308 bullpup. 032.gif

000.gif

Indy, I wished that you hadn't have said that!! I have a 21"308 that I haven't converted yet. My dad made a BEAUTIFUL walnut stock set for it, so I would have to do like you with leaving the tang on, but that's JUST what I've been thinking of since I began reading this thread!! AND I'm coming into a bit of money next month!!! LORD HELP ME!!!!!!!!!
  • 1 month later...

Indy, thank you for all your efforts on the forum! I picked up a Kushnapup immediately as a result.

Sadly my install is not going well. I live in CA, so I needed to trim the stock to fit the bullet button - it seems to go together well, but man is that trigger pull HEAVY! It was heavy before, but now I get sore and have to switch fingers! Other friends sometimes don't fire it thinking it was empty (it just didn't break until they gorilla'd it.)

Question: How do you adjust the trigger pull?

My trigger return sucks - it won't allow me to rapid fire. (I did confirm the correct orientation thanks to the gunwiki writeup.) I'll try removing the spring altogether.

Kushnapup has failed to answer my questions for over a week now so I'm turning to the knowledgeable forums!

Question 2: Do you have issues removing the 5 rd mag from the stock? Mine seems to hit the Kushna hand guard...

Thank you in advance!!

Steve in Kommiefornia

My mags install just fine, even the 10 round AGP's.

As far as trigger return... did you you use the spring that came with the kit??

if so... PITCH it !!! It just caused issue with mine, and trigger pull was HORRID!!! the factory trigger reset is MORE THAN ENOUGH!!!

Hope that helps! Any other questions, post em here, or pm me!! good luck! hope that helped!!! :up:

The trigger linkage is very RIGID in the KPUP , it allows JUST the use of the factory trigger reset and will give you a VERY DECENT trigger pull!!! Once you get it set up properly, it is as good as the factory trigger... No heavier... no sloppier... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Took the Kpup squirrel hunting sunday...

no sling... just had to carry it through the woods in my hands... using only factory 5 round magazines.

No need for higher capacity, as squirrels arent so numerous that I would need 10 rounds all at once... LOL :lol:

Observations...

bulky... not terribly ergonomic without a sling... at least for any sustained CARRYING in the field...

did not get any shots as the only squirrel I saw was in a tree and was visible just long enough to identify as a squirrel...

Last night I took the Kpup apart for the FIRST TIME since I put it all together...

a phillips head screwdriver was all I needed to have it apart in about 2 minutes... keep track of the inset nuts for the screws as they will drop out on the table/floor/wherever when you unscrew the screws... I recommend using some form of adhesive to keep them retained in the Kpup stock so they wont fall out.

Once apart, everything inside looked PERFECT... I looked at the ribs, and contact points and noticed that there was ZERO noticeable deformation or cracks, or breakages of any kind inside the stock shells...

Everything was where it was when I assembled it the first time... I DID have to tighten up the nut over the nylon bushing on the trigger actuator. it wasnt LOOSE... but it wasnt TIGHT either... a little locktight will fix that, as I didnt use ANY in the first assembly " just in case" there were any issues. which there werent.

I had to buy a rear sling lug to use QD sling mounts. I had to enlarge the hole slightly for the threaded portion of the stud... got it in, and tightened down with the nut. and reassembled the Kpup.

Attached a hunting style sling to the Kpup with QD mounts at the front and rear/side.

VERY comfortable to carry now with the sling over the shoulder... fits sideways against the body perfectly. :up:

IF you put the sling around your neck, and have the Kpup in front of you... it is a perfect setup for a "ready-carry" position. VERY quick to mount in a shooting position!!

SO... If you plan to HUNT with, or CARRY the Kpup... get a sling on that baby!!! It will make things a LOT better!!!! :up:

The front is a coarse threaded "wood screw" type stud, it threads very well in between the halves of the stock... The rear is a "machine thread" and has a nut that tightens down on the inside... I PROBABLY could have used another wood screw style in the rear as well... but I figured go with the one I used...

Havent field tested yet... but will report back after and update notes... :up:

• 2 months later...

I've got younger shooters in the house and have some concerns over the lack of a trigger guard. Its really the only thing left holding me back...

Couldnt you use the mounting screw in front of the Kush trigger to mount a guard then modify the grip so a guard can be attached? It doesnt seem like it would be that hard but I've never done anything more than shoot and clean my weapons.

I suppose you could fabricate anything you wanted to... :up: Maybe get some narrow aluminum slat/flat-stock and bend/paint/drill and attach with screws to the housing to make one...

000.gif

• 4 weeks later...

The rear sight can be very stubborn on some guns and need to have a cut across them before they will come out.

Wanted to let you know that I got the Kushnapup rail kit Saturday 6/23. The stock site gave me no trouble (thank you) in drifting off the stock as per indy's suggestions, from the left. Your product fit like a glove, and the clearance from the stock is perfect. Got my optics mounted and it works like a champ. I also got a 12 gauge laser bore sighter to help me get the optics set up for final tuning at the range. Pictures will follow in a bit as I have to attend to a sick spouse.

Thanks to all for your reviews and suggestions.

Mike

This post is WORTHLESS without PICS!!!! LOL 032.gif

000.gif

I also got the updated rail from CSS last night... the one with the tensioning set screws... I will get pics posted ASAP... 032.gif

000.gif

Ok Indy, I'll get you some better pics tomorrow as I convinced the wife that I want to take pictures of all the weapons for insurance purposes, but I was able to sneak these off today. Tough when you have a sick spouse at home and they don't leave you alone.

Need to use a different camera and better lighting as this Nikon does not like close ups very much.

attachicon.gifDSCN2451.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN2452.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN2453.JPG

Mike

I LIKE the optic on there!! I did a build for my neighbor on his S12, he wanted the tang cut on his and I cringed, but the customer is always right. He got a cheap barrel mount/laser and installed it. We sighted it in at 25 ft..the average didtance for in his house, and he loves it! I also did one on a Saiga 410 for another customer. I talked hin into NOT cutting the tangs and did the cut stock extension on his. It KILLS me to cut the tangs off of one, but people want what they want. I went with a CBRS Bullpup stock on my personal Saiga 12. The trigger is much more responsive on it. BUT if you are using for a home sweeper, personal defense setup, the Kushnapup is a nice setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything should pretty much be the same... Just take care of your TOTAL OVERALL length if you decide to cut the tang... Thats a bad spot to be in ( technically ) other than that... it should be pretty straightforward. :up:

• 1 month later...

I am new to the forum and want to thank, Indy -Weapons Guru for his series on the Kushnapup conversion. Using that information, I just finished the conversion of my Saiga 20 gauge to the bullpup configuration. The assembly manual I received only came with odd-numbered pages, no even numbered pages - which I still don't know whether just a printing SNAFU or was truly missing half the assembly instructions - but, it didn't matter with your photos and comments.

The only thing I noticed as a potential problem is the short leg of the gas adjustment plunger,it just barely (like maybe 1/64") over lappes the gas adjusment unlock pin. I suspect that perhaps it is designed for the SAIGA 12 and the 20 with a smaller diameter gas chamber might need a bit longer short leg. I would not be surpised if my plunger disengages from the unlock pin. But, then I don't forsee needing to change it frequently.

I kept the tangs, building a similar extension out of some Coch? butt extenders (3/4") on line.

The metal 10 round 20 gauge magazines fit with no problem. I added a saftey lever with the bolt-hold notch so I can lock back the bolt when needed. Now just need to get out and shoot it some.

Thanks again for all the very helpful information

Glad it helped you out!!! :up:

My plunger misses the tab now and then, too... I have to fiddle with it now and again... as its rare I adjust it... not a big deal. Its not like its something I have to adjust every mag or two, THEN it would be a hassle... now its nothing I even worry about.

Any other questions, please ask!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Indy, don't know if you mentioned anywhere but what was the turn around time from order to on the door step? I've been looking at this dang stock for over a year but didn't own an s12. One was all but given to me so I immediately ordered the kpup last night and am dying to have it installed. Thanks again. Good write up BTW...

Took my Saiga 20 gauge Kushnapup conversion out to the range a couple of weeks ago. The gun in the conversion functioned perfectedly. Having the bolt-hold-back notch in the safety lever really helped in switching mags - no need to shove hard enough to force the first round down into the mag as the bolt is out of the way. It became clear that I needed some way of sighting the shotgun other than the iron sights. I am right handed, but lost vision in my right eye and you can NOT get the left eye down to the sight line. What to do?

The solution turned out to be a 38mm red dot sight combined with some mounting hardware which put the scope up and to the left of the gun about 2 1/2" -3". I installed this assembly and found that the red dot was right on as I sighted a target at 15 yards range and put a load of #3 buck shot all within 4" around the bullseye. Previously I was firing too high. Also gives the gun even more of a rad look.

So far I am very please with the conversion. Now my wife can reach the charging bolt (and trigger) which was difficult for her on the stock shotgun - the conversion also shifted the center of gravity back considerably making it much easier to handle.

Indy, don't know if you mentioned anywhere but what was the turn around time from order to on the door step? I've been looking at this dang stock for over a year but didn't own an s12. One was all but given to me so I immediately ordered the kpup last night and am dying to have it installed. Thanks again. Good write up BTW...

I dont recall the exact time... but it was certainly close to a week. Deliveries were always prompt as far as I know! many people claimed just a few days from time of purchase, to arrival!! :up:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

1.) What is the overall length of that build?

2.) Also, does it have a 19" barrel?

3.) What length barrel SBS conversion would be close to the overall length of this build (12" barrel??)?

Why I ask...because I am considering building either one of these or an SBS.  I want a small S12 that can cycle wal-mart garbage so I was initially thinking an SBS...until I saw this. With the SBS comes a lot of tinkering by itself in addition to getting it to cycle junk ammo (fun) and paperwork (not fun).  I feel that this would be cake compared to the endeavor of doing an SBS (which would still be worth while, not knocking them by any means).  

Any assistance in this matter would be gratefully appreciated.

• Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.