CNC Saiga Barrels

I'd probably buy one if the price was right.

Would it be easy to include the gas ports in the programming?

Other parts would be good such as gas blocks and complete rear trunnion for PGO/folder guns.

Options like mid barrel brake ports and pre made barrels for short gas systems would be very nice.

I know the question has been asked before but I would like to see someone do it and not rape me with the price.

If you sell them for a dollar you will sell the shit out of them and make no money.

It all depends on the price, I know it is all about the money.

Barrels are not easy to make, this subject has come up before

and it was just to much money up front to start.

Now if you could make a bolt carrier and bolt for say, 150 to 200

we would be beating your door down.

• Like 1

Would the barrels be chrome lined? If a trunion and gas tube were made available as well, I'd definitely be all for buying a few. They'd go great with my new Polish AKM receiver blanks. Of course, need bolt carriers, bolts and lower rails as well.

Chrome lined, good one but what about chrome on the outside too, BLING! ;-) Seriously though, custom exterior coatings would be cool.

you would probably be better off making bolt carriers, bolts, gas blocks, ak handguard conversions, maybe a lower handguard retainer with a rail, krink rear sight blocks for hinged dust covers, maybe a clamp on gas block of some sort for easier diy SBRs, a hinged dust cover that uses the factory dovetail mount, a copy of the maxrounds magwell drum for less than the $400 or so that they charge

Edited by Russian Hammer
  • Like 6

you would probably be better off making bolt carriers, bolts, gas blocks, ak handguard conversions, maybe a lower handguard retainer with a rail, krink rear sight blocks for hinged dust covers, maybe a clamp on gas block of some sort for easier diy SBRs, a hinged dust cover that uses the factory dovetail mount, a copy of the maxrounds magwell drum for less than the $400 or so that they charge

I was going to say exactly this. But now I don't have to.

• Like 2

Initial startup would be financially hard. I would not suggest getting a bunch of pre order money however, as you'll get more email, letters and phone calls asking when it's going to be done that I think you'd want to deal with. A rifled barrel would definitely sell though.

Barrels would be fine. Also consider the impossible to get parts like extractors, plungers, bolts, bolt carriers, firing pins....not only for the Saiga 12 but for the Saiga rifles and other shotguns. Some parts right now are simply not available. How many would you sell? That is the question. I dunno.

If you sell them for a dollar you will sell the shit out of them and make no money.

It all depends on the price, I know it is all about the money.

Barrels are not easy to make, this subject has come up before

and it was just to much money up front to start.

Now if you could make a bolt carrier and bolt for say, 150 to 200

we would be beating your door down.

Yep, in particular a heavy duty bolt carrier that won't break at the op-rod threaded socket. Maybe instead of two pieces, make the op-rod part of the carrier, a single piece. It could be sized on the long side so it could then be ground down to the proper length (fitted) for the specific gun.

I would buy one.

• Like 3

lower handguard retainer with a rail

this. please. I need one now....like today.

If you sold these for $35 ea, you would have a hard time keeping up with demand.

Barrels have to be hammer forged. It's a specialized process that would have a high set-up cost.

Actually, this isn't completely true,

You don't HAVE to hammer forge barrels, you can cut, ream, and cut-rifle or button-rifle, if you wish, this doesn't produce a barrel that will last as long as a hammer forged barrel but this procedure should work fine in a Saiga-12 since none of us will be shooting super high-speed hardened slugs...

• Like 2

Caged is absolutely correct. The process includes drilling the barrel, then button broaching the final cut or two. It's how most lower end barrels (just about every barrel I have ever shot). Either way, tooling cost is prohibitive. By all means, have at it. I just can't imagine barrel making being lucrative for the Saiga platform. I would think plastics will probably yield highest profits if the product has a market. Drop-in metal parts would do well too I would think, especially if they count toward 922r compliance.

• Like 1

I agree with the above posts - there would be some money in doing barrels, but the real sales would come from bolts/bolt carriers and gas blocks. I know I was looking for a bolt carrier for a while to experiment with a left-hand charging handle so I wouldn't have to modify my original one. You get them under $200 and you will swim in the money you make.

I'm not quite sure how they are made, but you can't just cut one from a solid block.

I am in school right now to be a machinist and wanted to gauge the market for an interchangeable smooth bore and rifled barrels for the S12. I would not want to just CNC lathe a barrel especially a rifled one.....too much pressure. I think they need to be hammer forged, but Im not sure lol.

Edited by BLK-HWK-VET

as others have said, bolt carriers! if you could make them for less than 200 i would buy a couple. you just cant find them and everyone that has an s 12 wants a spare or a new one because of cracking. a rifled barrel would be second on my list. don't quote me on this but i believe kings armory tried to make some rifled barrels one time and they ended up with about 700 dollars cost in machining so they never made it to production due to cost. if you could keep the cost down on anything that you make it will sell. it gonna be hard though when you can get a whole new s12 for 500-600 dollars. but there again no one offers a rifled barrel so who knows what people would pay for one.

Bolt carriers are currently being made by R&R and we should start testing in the next few weeks. After testing they will be available for sale. I should have photos soon.

Doug

Nice! What kind of price points are you expecting?

I could program a bolt or bolt carrier on a 5 axis easily.... I thought that not too many would want barrels as much as tr internals. I really need to get busy with this as I have been through top gun CNC machining academy...Question is where would I get startup money

What's a lower handguard retainer with a rail look like?

Question is where would I get startup money

If you dont have that answer, well in this day and time, a personal backer, IE, family, friend or someone who believes in you.