Smith To Cut and Thread Barrel

I think the problem is the external Left hand thread and this might be is what is scaring them, Also Is there enough metal on the outside or will it need to built up? I know it won't be OEM but you could have it internally threaded for screw in chokes and other devices. My local shop and friend who plays with a lathe and mill but he is not a gunsmith will install screw in's because there is a kit that they can buy and it has all the piloted reamers, cutters and taps to make it fool proof. I found a 12 this weekend and did not want to chance on losing out if the new importer should fall through so I put it on layaway and plan on going the srew in route.

P.S. If you still want the factory chokes then you may have to seek out a machine shop to do the metric lefthand thread, Check your local yellow pages

Edited by blkbd

Can anyone confirm the thread? I was under the impression that the thread is

M22x.75 RH. I was planning on making a barrel TAT set up to thread mine with a die. I can find the size in a RH thread, but if it's LH like an AK things are going to suck big. Can someone with a factory choke tell me if it threads on (turn Right-tight, clockwise). The chrome lining shouldn't have anything to do external threading and some members have cut the barrel with hacksaws and hose clamps without damaging the interior chrome lining. The external threads are so fine it won't effect barrel quality at all. I'm a mechanic not a machinist, but I would think that any decent machinist would be able to cut metric threads LH or RH, as far as know they're a standard 60 degree pitch.

Mark

Edited by 6500rpm

Someone was looking for a die (tap is internal) sometime ago. The end result was that it is a bastard thread, and the die needs to be custom made. It can be done, almost any commercial die maker can make you one, BUT IT AIN'T CHEEP!

G O B

Can anyone confirm the thread? I was under the impression that the thread is

M22x.75 RH.  I was planning on making a barrel TAT set up to thread mine with a die. I can find the size in a RH thread, but if it's LH like an AK things are going to suck big. Can someone with a factory choke tell me if it threads on (turn Right-tight, clockwise). The chrome lining shouldn't have anything to do external threading and some members have cut the barrel with hacksaws and hose clamps without damaging the interior chrome lining. The external threads are so fine it won't effect barrel quality at all. I'm a mechanic not a machinist, but I would think that any decent machinist would be able to cut metric threads LH or RH, as far as  know they're a standard 60 degree pitch.

Mark

At rusmilitary the thread stated is M22x0.75-6g I not sure if its RH as my new toy has no screw on chokes but my 410 does and it's left hand thread.

Mine is being threaded right now for Winchester internal threads.

Where are you getting that done? (if you think it would be a good recomendation)

Coles Gun Works

in Moyock, N.C.

phone

252-435-2340 or 2345

They also did my conversion. Ask for Tom or Chris. They do very good work.

Thanks for the thread confirmation, got the same reply from Cobra and a visual on my muzzle brake (just had a moment of self doubt when the LH thread was mentioned and wasn't sure if my brake might be bogus). I've found dies in the $130 range, probably shop for a few more days before taking the leap.

(sorry JC, didn't mean to jack your thread-just thought that threading with a thread alignment tool (TAT) and a die might be a more viable sp? option for those who want to install factory barrel attachments to now unthreaded barrels. possibly something we can pass around the board)

Speaking of gunsmiths that can cut a barrel. Does anyone have any experience with turning an S-12 into a SBS? I am interested in cutting down my S-12 to about 2 inches infront of the hand guard and intalling a comp/tactical impact device. I know that this will then have to be a registered firearm, just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with this. I am a little concerned that the gas system will have a fit if I take that much barrel off. Last thing, I am in AZ, so any smiths that are close by would be the best for me. Thanks for the help.

Speaking of gunsmiths that can cut a barrel. Does anyone have any experience with turning an S-12 into a SBS? I am interested in cutting down my S-12 to about 2 inches infront of the hand guard and intalling a comp/tactical impact device. I know that this will then have to be a registered firearm, just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with this. I am a little concerned that the gas system will have a fit if I take that much barrel off. Last thing, I am in AZ, so any smiths that are close by would be the best for me. Thanks for the help.

The man you need to speak to is Tony Rumore. He's made several SBS S12's. A full auto one as well. He is an S12 god. Here check it out:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=7614&hl=

Edited by stokstad

The man you need to speak to is Tony Rumore. He's made several SBS S12's. A full auto one as well. He is an S12 god. Here check it out:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=7614&hl=

Thanks for the information. I think I just might give this fellow I call.

He's the man you need to speak to.

The SBS process involves a gas system redisign that he is most familliar with out of any smith you might deal with in the USA.

Matter of fact, I think the gas system redesign for the S12 SBS was his idea in the first place.

Really, he's the man when it comes to S12's.

I have one with him myself, and everyone else who has ever dealt with him has nothing but the highest praise.

Mine is now threaded for Win-choke. Tom Cole who runs Coles Gun Works has done another outstanding job.

I have to run my son got a fish hook caught in his pants I have no Idea how he did it but he missed his pecker but not by much.