Some Input Please

Well after further thought. I went ahead and did the standard FCG conversion. All I can say was that it was to easy...LOL. I though that the rivets were going to be hardened and that I would have to make cuts for the PG nut & trigger. I was wrong on all counts. The rivets were soft and the receiver was already punched out for the PG & trigger. I hope the Saw PG comes with the bolt??? Also any input on the quality of the folding stock??

By the way the tools I used were a drill motor, bits, hand files, punch, screw driver, center punch & hack saw. Did not need to spring for a dremel "yet". Hope I can fashion a bullet guide without one?

So I orderd these parts from Tapco:

1.FCG Combo

2. Stock

3. Handguard

4. Grip Screw Bushing

5. Crook

6. 20 Rd mag

7. 30 Rd mag

A lot of people use the tapco stocks and I believe they like them. The only complaint I have ever heard its the pin is plastic and has a tendancy to break. But you can easily make your own pin. The ace is very high quality but you do pay for it. And Yes the Saw grip comes with a screw

Edited by stokstad
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, you can keep the stock the galil hand guard and pistol grip

and sale the gun to me for about 200 bucks

and even take the FCG off and sale everything separated and make your money back.

Just kiding bro, hey get a RPK flash supresor for the rifle like stokstad did

and the gun will look good with the long barrel with out cuting any of the barrel

Edited by vjor

Sorry to threadjack, but this seems like a good place to ask it and I don't feel like starting a new thread. :bag:

I am thinking about getting the ACE stock for my saiga (The one that requres no mods, probably the 12" one). I just can't bring myself to drill this rifle and looking at the costs of the alternatives (sending it off to have someone else do it.) I think this would be the best solution for me. What does everyone else think about this?

OK, I think I can get myself to do it. Once question though. My saiga has the trigger hole mentioned in step 4. I can't see if it has the grip nut hole though. That is the one part of the whole thing that has me worried is cutting that hole in the reciever. Am I being a big baby? :cryss:

OK, you guy's have given me the confidence to do this. I have the instructions and stuff all ready, but never worked up the nerve. I love my Saiga, but I didn't want to FUBAR it. I would hate to trash a nice rifle. Thanks, I'm going to get everything setup and probably start after I am done with class tomorrow. This will probably be like my first time off the high-dive at the pool (When I was 6). Scared stupid the first time and easy as pie from then on. :lol: BTW, where can one get a 7.62x39 feed ramp?

• 3 weeks later...

I will sa, it came out loooooking gooood.

Nice work, well done, see it was not to hard to convert it or

it was? well this is your first one, well in few months

you will be thinking, man I will like to do something different

and well there it goes again.

or if you get some extra cash, well cut the tang and

install a nice ace folding skeleton stock to make it look better.

I think your rifle may not be 922r compliant.

Here's the foriegn parts count:

Muzzle Break (KVAR sells bulgarian, is yours US mad?)

Barrel

Reciever

Trunion

Bolt

Bolt Carrier

Gas Piston

Mag body

Mag Floorplate

Mag Follower

Now, if you only use US made magazines, then you're ok, but otherwise, when you put a foriegn mag in there, you techincally become 922 uncomplaint. (Not that 922 is legal under the constitution, but....)

The thing is, don't take the parts and count down. The law says its foriegn if it has 10 or more parts, and muzzle extentions count.

So, when checking for complaince, always count up your foriegn parts, not count down your US parts.

I like the avatar, and I like the xray vision parts count! I use it too. As a matter of fact, I used the Xray vision parts count method after I bought my Saiga brand new and my wife got me 2, 30 round mags from thier website for Xmas. Until I found this forum and learned of 922r, I had no clue that I was breaking a law or reg. or whatever. Hell, the mags practically came with the rifle!

Notreason was just trying to be helpful. I honestly dont think hes a Fed trolling for reckless AK builders with little reguard to proper US parts count. We all know that the rifle will go insane and shoot up schools if the proper US parts are not used. Besides Rick16 is about as good an AKsmith as you can get. He is always the most skilled and professional craftsman he can be. I highly doubt that he would overlook such a regulation.

I dont want to say too much about this, but if you are really that concerned with 922r compliance, try a set of thoes cool letter punches from Haror Freight.

Actually I spoke to my State Police Firearms Division legal department a few times. When I asked about 922r, they had to look it up! Thier view on 922r is that you are already in trouble if there are Feds taking apart your rifle! Being noncompliant with an obscure regulation would be the least of your worries. Obviously, you dont want to go hanging a drum off a sport configured Saiga. And you dont want to advertise that you are in violation of the above mentioned obscure reg. But if your a few parts shy of the "correct" number of US parts. It most likely will not be an issue unless you do something silly with the rifle to draw unwanted attention.

DISCLAIMER: Just for the record, I am wrong. I usually am. Dont ever do anything I say or copy anything I ever do. Never ever build a non complient rifle. If you do, run (dont walk) to the nearest AK supply store and buy the correct (exact replica) US made part to replace the offending one. Any resemblance to any persons living or deceased is purely coincidental.

*edit: I tried to link to the Harbor Freight steel letter punches, they wouldent let me. It may be a gov. conspiracy :cryss:

Edited by pistonring8

I have US followers and floorplates in all of my mags. I get them from falcomarms.com. I have had no problem with any metal 7.62 20 or 30 rounders. That is 2 quick, easy, cheap 922r parts. Add a G2 trigger and you are good to go (if no muzzle device).

I have US followers and floorplates in all of my mags. I get them from falcomarms.com. I have had no problem with any metal 7.62 20 or 30 rounders. That is 2 quick, easy, cheap 922r parts. Add a G2 trigger and you are good to go (if no muzzle device).

How much do they cost there? I got all mine from RPB I think. They were only like 10 sets for ten bucks! I need to get some more and I don't know if that deal is still around. Anybody?

How much do they cost there? I got all mine from RPB I think. They were only like 10 sets for ten bucks! I need to get some more and I don't know if that deal is still around. Anybody?

I got 6 for $12 shipped. Not nearly as good a deal as what you got. Pretty cheap for compliance though. I have slowly worked them into all my mags. I am in all cases comlpiant on my rifles, plus one extra in the mag. I sleep in my tin-foil cap. The man is out to get me.

Yeah, I was just trying to be helpful. You are in trouble if feds are taking apart your rifle, because they can, will, and have replaced parts to make the rifle noncompliant so that they can get a conviction. And 922 is not only illegal and thus unenforcable, but nobody but the F-troop seems to even know about it.

All that said, for me, I like to be scrupulous about parts count issues, and then work domestic parts in to the magazines like h8mtv... cause it doesn't cost that much and if they decide to take an interest in me for some reason, better to leave them nothing to hassle me about. Force them to commit felonies and manufacture evidence to try and frame me, rather than let them have a convenient technicality.