OK I'm stumped on why my drum doesn't work

I have been having the same problem with my drum ever since I got it , bought it new from MD ARMS, so this isn't a second hand drum. the thing won't eject a empty shell completely out. it pulls the empty out of chamber it just just doesn't kick it out of the gun, it just lays there on top of the loaded shells. I read the manual about spring tension so yeah, I changed it from 3 to 2, and at every position between 2 and 3. to 3.5. still the same problem, even put powder graphite as recommended, and still nothing. I tried putting in 19, 18, 17 shells and still the same thing

the gun has no problem ejecting empty shells out of the factory mag, 8 round SGM and 10 round SGM. I only shoot 00 bucks, no target loads, so the issue of weak load isn't there.

and before I hear all the obvious remedies about buying the 4 position plug, polish the bolt carriers etc.... etc... etc.... I used a friends MD ARMS drum today at a range "gathering", luckily the drum locked into my gun, loaded the same 00 buck that works in my stick mag, and lo and behold the thing ejected the rounds like there is no tomorrow, and he never messed with the original tension that it came with, his worked without issue from the get-go. and yes. he tried my drum in his and got the same problem as me, no empties kicked out

so did I get a bum drum that just doesn't work no matter what? I'd like to give it one more try, yeah I'm a glutton fer punishment smile.png, that maybe someone else had this same problem and got theirs to work, before contacting MD ARMS and ask for a replacement.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Is the problem drum locking in with the back too high, causing the ejecting shell to catch on the rim of the next shell in the drum? Does the problem drum work in your Buddie's gun?

In the OP he did say His did not work in his buddies S12.

Is the problem drum locking in with the back too high, causing the ejecting shell to catch on the rim of the next shell in the drum?

+1 on this

Is the problem drum locking in with the back too high, causing the ejecting shell to catch on the rim of the next shell in the drum?

Does the problem drum work in your Buddie's gun?

that can't be it, the way the drum is designed there is a "lip" on either side of the feed tower that stops it from going in any higher in the mag well. seeing as these drums are mold injected they are all exactly identical in dimensions so it can't be a "out of spec" feed tower. otherwise, there would be a lot more threads about this kind of issue I'm having

tried it in my friend's gun and it didn't work either

as for the angle of the shells, I hadn't looked at that issue. I can always load a stick mag insert it into the gun, and see how it sits, then compare that to the drum to where it sits while inserted.

I contacted MD and told him of the issue I'm having with it, and see what suggestions he has. he has probably heard all sorts of issues, hopefully this is one of them he has encountered and there is a fix.

Try reducing the spring tension on the drum.

I have it at 2 revolutions now, but I guess I can go to 1, and hope that there will be enough spring tension to feed the shells into the tower

• 7 months later...