I just ordered another AK

Damn things are like potato chips. You can never do just one.

I ordered an FEG AMD 65 from Bud's. It is suppossed to be the TGI version which I here is the better build of them. I had handled one at my LGS and was hooked. They wanted $599 and weren't very accommodating. It looked like so much fun to play with I had to have one. Both J&G and Bud's had em for $439, but Bud's had free shipping so I pulled the trigger on a what looks like it's gonna be my new fun gun!!!

Anybody have any experience with these? I read mostly good things on the TGI version so I'm kinda excited about it.

Good buy or waste of my fun money?

post-39512-0-45192000-1338138748_thumb.jpg

I have one of the TGI builds that I got a few years ago. I really like mine. I got bored and made some changes to it some time ago, but it's still one of my favorites.

Mine was more accuarate than I'd expected from the shorter barrel. They're also loud as hell and look like a flame thrower in low light.

recently purchased one, which ive been wanting for a long time. very happy with the build/finish as a plus all matching numbers and built with feg receiver. i was also surprised how light it is, i thought my romy m10 was light. shoots surprisingly smooth and almost no muzzle climb which i beleive from that muzzle brake. added a cheek riser from amd65tech, which is a must if you dont want a chin weld. some pics

cool box it came in

001-6.jpg

005-6.jpg

022-11.jpg

• Like 2

Keep in touch with your FFL. I ordered my SGL through Buds, and they told me a week or 2. I got mine in like 3 days. I called my FFL on a wim on Friday, and it was in!!! I'm only like 3 hours away from buds, but it shipped way faster than they said it would.

Edited by im_n2_vws

It's in !!!! I logged it in and back out (after I passed my background check of course). If it is much fun to shoot as it looks, I have a new fun gun for sure. It is a TGI with an FEG receiver. Came with cleaning rod and fluid bottles. The pistol grips were in good shape, but I hate the feel. Too slick so I will replace them. Finish was good, not great, but good enough for an AK. Was fairly clean, but recoil spring was kinda gritty on the bolt end. It's all apart now soaking in some Safari Charlies at the moment.

I also have a case of Golden Tiger 124grain arriving tomorrow !!!!

Gonna be a FUN weekend. Break in a new 2 new guns, and check the zero on the Red Dot on the Saiga 223. I have dropped the weapon and let it fall over a few times. Time to do a check. (I'm testing the Vortex SureFire for holding zero).

icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Pics to follow. (when I get it back together).

Edited by Missile Shooter

These FEG AMD-65s look like great rifles for the price.

I don't really like the looks, but I could get used to em.

One of these is on my short list, but after buying a "suprise", (wasn't planning on it till I saw the ad), unfired SA M-7 Classic last week, my gun fund's runnin a bit low again.

I may sell a gun to fund one of these, though. I have a feeling they won't be around that much longer, for decent prices anyway.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Potato chips is right. Dang! I love everything about my AR, but it just isn't the same. What woud Freud say?

Just put in the order for the AMD-65. I was afraid they might sell out.

Two main bitches I've heard about the AMD-65 is (1) that the folding stock doesn't fold so easily, and (2) that the finish is crappy and maybe the grips don't match.

I don't know that (1) is really a bad thing. The main bitch about most folders is that they have too much play.

As for (2) it sounds about the same as my Polish AKMS that was supposed to be Parkerized, but wasn't. I still love the thing. My Saiga 12's finish also rubbed off (bottom of receiver) with one swipe of denatured alcohol during the conversion, but you don't hear my crying about that. Don't cry; grab some Krylon...

I figure I might try a Duracoat shake and spray flat black on it if it looks too bad. Anybody done one of those yet?

Edited by DropKick867

I've got and AMD 65, only issue I ever had was the "weld" on the muzzle break broke and allowed the break to wobble slightly causing one in ever 25 or so rounds to key hole. So I took it up to the shop grinded out the bad from the old weld, which was more porocity than weld..problem solved. 100 rounds no issues. The folding stock was really stiff at first, but a little rem oil and some open/closing it was great. The pistol grips were scratched slightly. The finish was cheap krylon, at best..other wise its a great gun.

With the muzzle break fixed it's very accurate with the stock irons. The main compaint is the front hand guard does get a bit hot after rappid firing. A good source of extra infor it AMD TEC. I've spoke for a while with Gio over there and he's very knowlegeable about these guns. Does some things diffrent compared to most ak's but in a very "everyday joe" kinda way we can all appricate.

Sweet! I have been looking at AMD Tech, actually. Their stock adjustment would be the #1 mod on my list, of course. Not that I have a bunch of mods in mind...

Like Missile Shooter, I am stoked to get this thing....actually, I think it will reach my FFL a few days before I get back in town.....so if Jet Lag doesn't completely knock me on my tired old ass....which it might, picking up the AMD-65 will be job-1 after making sure the condo and truck haven't burnt down.

It is a sweet shooter and way more accurate than expected. It was nasty weather (rain, thunder, lightning) so I didn't do any serious sighting, but I did shoot irons at 50 yards. It was 2 inches right and 3 inches low, but the bullet holes all touched. Made a big hole in the target. It is loud, but the fireball every shot is just great. It covers the whole target on you. We shot about 300 Golden Tigers and never a hiccup. All fired and fed perfectly.

No pics yet, but we shot a quick video : AMD 65 rapid fire with golden tiger ammunition - YouTube

I'll take the pics when I clean it tonight. icon_biggrin.gif

Pictures as promised. I finally got my camera out yesterday. As you can see, Bud's supplied a very good unit. Some claimed that they came all banged up and the pistol grips all beat up. This was a good one. I'm still going to change the pistol grips because I hate how they feel, not because they were a mess.

I'm really happy with the gun overall. It is a blast to shoot.

For anyone interested. those Golden Tigers are the cleanest shooting ammo I have seen. Better than most American made ammo let alone Russian manufactured ammo. They are definitely on my priority buy list over all the other brands.

post-39512-0-03285100-1339856298_thumb.jpg

post-39512-0-71786500-1339856299_thumb.jpg

post-39512-0-49726600-1339856301_thumb.jpg

post-39512-0-01279200-1339856303_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

looks sharp. i took mine out for its trial run yesterday and shot a few hundred tulammo 122 grain through it without a hiccup. i was surprised at the accuracy and lack of recoil. i thought the muzzle would climb more and it would kick harder with the short barrel. if washington state ever starts allowing sbr's then this will be a really easy conversion.

i did change out the pistol grip and mounted a rail on the bottom of the forearm and put a short magpul vert grip on the front. i like it more that way. the stock is definitely a little tight at first but i pulled it apart and cleaned it up. i used a fine file to break the edges on the detent and it is a lot smoother now without sacrificing stability.

now i just need to figure out what i want to do with the sights. i'm torn between the midwest industries red dot mount or the ultimak front rail. either way i'll probably throw a burris fast fire on it.

this thing slides perfectly between my bed and nightstand....

i just found that krebs makes an adapter for the back of the amd to mount an ace stock. the adapter sits in solid and you can add an ace folder that folds to the left or no folder for a fixed stock. i think it'll be a big improvement over the factory folder. the other bonus is the krebs adapter allows you to use their scope mount, if you want to pay a lot of money for a scope mount.

P8300004.jpg

i just found that krebs makes an adapter for the back of the amd to mount an ace stock. the adapter sits in solid and you can add an ace folder that folds to the left or no folder for a fixed stock. i think it'll be a big improvement over the factory folder. the other bonus is the krebs adapter allows you to use their scope mount, if you want to pay a lot of money for a scope mount.

P8300004.jpg

would this adapter work for mounting a Bulgarian triangle folder?