Epic Firearms Safety Fail, Graphic Content Warning!

This has been making the rounds, and I haven't seen it before, so I thought I'd share it here.

I don't know if the story is real, nor the who, when, where or why, nor who to credit.

All I have to say is... DAMN! Stupidity should be painful.

Disclaimer - I got these two photos and story third-hand, so I can't really verify accuracy.

The story I was told was that the gun, a 1911, was being pressed into the forearm to demonstrate how it could be taken out of battery during a contact shot and thus fail to fire.

Unfortunately, this particular 1911 was loaded and did not, in fact, go out of battery. It fired just fine, destroying the arm in the process.

The round continued through a second person's arm and stopped in his small intestine.

I didn't get much more detail than that, but let it be yet another reminder of the 4 safety rules:

1. All guns are always loaded.

2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

This incident violated all 4 of these simultaneously.

WARNING - GRAPHIC PHOTOS BELOW

Entry

d98b03a8.jpg

Exit

c9d9ce9e.jpg

• Like 1

I had a friend from when I was younger who lost his thumb by holding a loded shotgun with his thumb over the barrel. Destroyed his thumb immediately. Definitely makes me think about practicing gun safety everytime I handle a firearm.

That pic is epic!!! I'd hate to have been on the recieving end of that.

Dayyyyyy-umn... I'm guessing it was loaded with one of those fancy double bonded super expandering hollow points?

I think a good part of that blown out tissue damage, would be attributable to muzzle blast.

omg electric_shock.gif wow, i'm speechless.

This reminds me of when i was choosing a gun range to join. one was 5 miles from my house and had a bar attached, the other was a 45 minute drive and was shared by the boy scouts and the police.

so i drove way out of my way every time i wanted to go shooting just so i wouldn't be near idiots.

i was not ready for those pics, man i wont forget that. Thank you for sharing, i hope this helps someone watch just a bit more careful what they are doing when handling a gun.

Edited by Salt

I know of a guy that shot himself in the leg with a XD 40. If you have ever seen the YouTube video of that Tex guy shooting himself it was the same thing. This guy was practicing his draw from the hip, seeing as he just got his concealed carry licence, with the weapons loaded. When he drew the weapon the last time it went off point blank to his hip. It entered his upper thigh, travelled down his leg and out the bottom of his calf. He was "lucky" because he had hollow points loaded and when it went off the round got clogged with the denim he was wearing so it didn't Exepand.

Maybe next time we'll luck out and he'll perform this test on his temple. Fucking idiot.

Side note: If you have a Glock or other striker-fired gun and you need to perform a contact shot and don't want the slide to be pushed out of battery, just push on the back of the slide with your thumb. You won't hurt your thumb at all, and you'll be able to squeeze off that one shot without risk of pushing the slide OOB. Of course, you'll need to manually rack the next round into the chamber.

Helpful tip for when the zombies attack.

This has been a community service announcement, brought to you by Brawndo; It's got electrolytes.

As with other kinds of safety, it's not always the "clueless noobs" who are the most serious violators of safe practices. The fact they've been doing something a long time leads to complacency. At the indoor range I use recently a 60 year old man shot himself in the chest and died;

"According to witnesses at the gun range, [name removed] was shooting on a lane when he stopped to inspect the weapon. He turned the handgun toward himself when it discharged, striking him."

I don't know how long this man had been shooting but it's a safe guess he was not new, then again, with more and more people getting CWPs, this might not be the case.

Either way, IMO the best way to go is to make safe practices habit, not requiring conscious thought because there will always be something to distract or cause lapses in judgement.

As for "quick draw" accidents, I had a co-worker years ago who shot himself doing this, 44 Mag, it could have turned out badly, he was lucky.

.45 acp

FOR

THE

WIN!!!

The first time I ever disarmed someone (smith 3913 or similar) it went off in direct contact with his forearm. There was a black ringed hole going in and a slightly larger hole going out (followed, unfortunately, by a hole going into me). The wound was distinctly unimpressive.

My grandfather came back from Germany with a nice quarter size hole in his calf muscle from a 1911. His commanding officer was cleaning his gun when he had an accidental discharge. But his scar was very clean looking, Just looked like it went in and out. No massive tissue damage like in your pics.

Dayyyyyy-umn... I'm guessing it was loaded with one of those fancy double bonded super expandering hollow points?

I think a good part of that blown out tissue damage, would be attributable to muzzle blast.

You are correct. I see this almost daily in my occupation. It appears the ulna has shattered and left tearing upon exit but expanding gasses at that distance are responsible for rapid tissue expansion and subsequent cavitation of the wound. It's like squeezing a balloon until it pops, same principle.

My grandfather came back from Germany with a nice quarter size hole in his calf muscle from a 1911. His commanding officer was cleaning his gun when he had an accidental discharge. But his scar was very clean looking, Just looked like it went in and out. No massive tissue damage like in your pics.

Read U.S.Praetorian's and I's quoted replies, explains the difference between you grandfather's .45 FMJ wound and this guys wound.

.45 acp

FOR

THE

WIN!!!

The first time I ever disarmed someone (smith 3913 or similar) it went off in direct contact with his forearm. There was a black ringed hole going in and a slightly larger hole going out (followed, unfortunately, by a hole going into me). The wound was distinctly unimpressive.

Was that a hardball round or JHP?

We had a kid in Iraq do the same thing with his M9. Pushed the slide back with his palm and pulled the trigger. It wasn't nearly as bad as the guy that used a .50 BMG round to hammer the pins in on his M2 pintle mount.

A little common sense and forethought go a long way.

unfortunately common sense isn't common any longer, and the vast majority of the population doesn't have any forethought beyond wiping their butt after a dump.

they need to change that phrase "common sense" to fit it more in todays' world, "rare sense"

Edited by Matthew Hopkins