Epic Firearms Safety Fail, Graphic Content Warning!

.45 acp

FOR

THE

WIN!!!

The first time I ever disarmed someone (smith 3913 or similar) it went off in direct contact with his forearm. There was a black ringed hole going in and a slightly larger hole going out (followed, unfortunately, by a hole going into me). The wound was distinctly unimpressive.

Was that a hardball round or JHP?

FMJ, There was a fair amount of internal damage due to gas expansion, hydrostatic shock, and the resulting temporary wound cavity but He was lucky in that the bullet passed between his radius and ulna... Not that it mattered as the stupid fucker tried to stop a .45 with the back of his head a month later without any success.

Luckily for me there was a table and some other crap between it exiting his arm and entering my knee. I did learn how not to take a gun off of a drunk though.

Stupid should hurt.

hand.jpg

Thank you for that, I laughed so hard I nearly blew milk out my nose.

Yeah this is about as stupid as it gets (Both the pistol guy and the M2 guy). My carry instructor had a similar issue at a range. Guy was trying to be all cool. Guy was gonna jack his slide back ejection port up to make the round pop up and he was going to catch the round with his hand. .45 ACP

He jacked the slide, only the round didn't clear the pistol. Before he realised he had a problem, the slide came forward, round got jammed up against the barrel on the side of the barrel. Guess where the primer just had to be?, up against the extractor claw. Round goes off, shrapnel goes flying, he catches the worst of it, major injury.

By the grace of God one guy present was not only military but a medic. He goes into action takes care of business. Has him patched up before the ambulance got there.

Cool is not a neat trick with a gun that fights gravity. Cool with a gun is doing things in a professional, quick, accurate and above all safe manner. Be safe out there.

• Like 2

Common sense was never common. My late friend Stan Wincote served in WWII with my grandfather. He made several keepsakes of cartridges by pulling the bullet dumping the powder and firing the primer in a weapon. Then he would put the bullet back in. He gave me the ones he kept for himself.

Anyway, they had a cook (he called him a sad-sack, because the navy took older guys without talent and gave them lame jobs). The cook decided to make some for himself, and Stan went into the storage room just as this guy was holding a 50 BMG shell with the bullet out in some pliers and hitting the primer with something. Stan got chunks of powder imbedded in his face and the other guy nearly lost an eye to pieces of the primer.

.50 BMG is definitely not a round to be trifled with. Last deployment we had some incidents with it and female gunners that thankfully turned out to be fairly minor.

First one, girl has a misfeed with the M2. Puts her leg up on the turret because she doesn't have the upper body strength to rack the bolt back. Uses her leg and upper body to rack the bolt and then drops it. Round was caught in between the breech and the bolt face. When she racked it, the case head kicked free of the bolt face. When she dropped it the bullet hit somewhere on the breech other than in the chamber, sharp edge of the bolt hit the primer. Her leg absorbed most of the shrapnel as it exited the ejection port.

Second one, girl was getting test fire rounds from our armory. She counted out about ten rounds, pulled a round out of the belt, put the rest of the belt up, then used a ball peen hammer to re-link the round she'd pulled out. 240 gunner walks in to get his test fire ammo, see's her hammering on a live round, says, "you might not want to...." BOOM! Luckily the was holding the ten rounds that were already linked instead of the round she was hammering on. She took a piece of shrapnel to the finger. The 240 gunner took a piece about an inch below his right nut and another larger piece to his left leg. He didn't even notice at first. Some one else noticed and pointed it out to him, he replied, "Bitch done ruined my britches." He came walking out of our armory with his boots, boxers, and top on, no pants.

25472_422065014147_613064147_5175663_6674554_n.jpg

Edited by JoshAston

Maybe next time we'll luck out and he'll perform this test on his temple. Fucking idiot.

Side note: If you have a Glock or other striker-fired gun and you need to perform a contact shot and don't want the slide to be pushed out of battery, just push on the back of the slide with your thumb. You won't hurt your thumb at all, and you'll be able to squeeze off that one shot without risk of pushing the slide OOB. Of course, you'll need to manually rack the next round into the chamber.

Helpful tip for when the zombies attack.

This has been a community service announcement, brought to you by Brawndo; It's got electrolytes.

Try your own suggestion and let us know how that works out, if you still have that thumb attached or not.dry.png

Maybe next time we'll luck out and he'll perform this test on his temple. Fucking idiot.

Side note: If you have a Glock or other striker-fired gun and you need to perform a contact shot and don't want the slide to be pushed out of battery, just push on the back of the slide with your thumb. You won't hurt your thumb at all, and you'll be able to squeeze off that one shot without risk of pushing the slide OOB. Of course, you'll need to manually rack the next round into the chamber.

Helpful tip for when the zombies attack.

This has been a community service announcement, brought to you by Brawndo; It's got electrolytes.

Try your own suggestion and let us know how that works out, if you still have that thumb attached or not.dry.png

Been there, done that.

If you'd like, we can wager whether or not doing what I spoke of is harmful to your thumb. I'm in for everything in my bank account, which while not monumental, is enough to buy yourself some nice new toys if I lose the bet. (Which I won't)

I'll have to dig up some YT vids of it being done.

EDIT: Here's one. It's a hard thing to search for, so this is all I found. There's more videos. We had a discussion on this awhile ago, I think here on this forum. Granted, situations where you'd actually do this are pretty limited. BUT, it's still good knowing you can do it. Just a tidbit of info to tuck away in your head, and know it can be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC8T0gQu8kU

Edited by -Shooter-

I have a buddy who was shot through the foot when a neighbor he was visiting decided to show off his quick draw from his ankle holster(?) with his .357 mag. The man who shot thought he shot himself and was jumping up and down and my buddy calmly said "Fred, sit down, you aren't shot you got powder burns....you shot ME!"

My buddy said he was calm because he knew he needed medical attention, and needed to keep shit together and get to the hospital which is 45 minutes from where it happened.

The fella who shot him, and his wife, blatantly refused to help financially with med costs. I am not sure why my buddy did not seek any kind of legal recourse, but he has this awsome gimp-walk now with constant pain and can no longer hike. If you lived here in Montana you would know that not being able to get in the mountains and hunt anymore or even backpack and camp in the hills is as if you may have well had yer damn legs cut off. I can not imagine that BS.

I have seen so many stupid things involving firearms that I don't even want to be around anybody handling a firearm unless I know them well enough to trust them to be safe.

I've been shot at on purpose "as a joke". I've had a bullet pass within 2 feet of me while I was standing in my grandmother's bathroom. I've had a 12ga fired with the muzzle 6 inches from my face. And those are just the ones where there was a actual discharge.

Yeah this is about as stupid as it gets (Both the pistol guy and the M2 guy). My carry instructor had a similar issue at a range. Guy was trying to be all cool. Guy was gonna jack his slide back ejection port up to make the round pop up and he was going to catch the round with his hand. .45 ACP

He jacked the slide, only the round didn't clear the pistol. Before he realised he had a problem, the slide came forward, round got jammed up against the barrel on the side of the barrel. Guess where the primer just had to be?, up against the extractor claw. Round goes off, shrapnel goes flying, he catches the worst of it, major injury.

By the grace of God one guy present was not only military but a medic. He goes into action takes care of business. Has him patched up before the ambulance got there.

Cool is not a neat trick with a gun that fights gravity. Cool with a gun is doing things in a professional, quick, accurate and above all safe manner. Be safe out there.

Thank you for this, sometimes it takes someone else to point out a safety flaw....I play this move often, but will not anymore. a tip of the hat to you.

and HOLY SHIT at the op,

Yep, learning to masturbate with your left hand is going to take practice. haha.gif

Not as long as you think though. wink.png

Trust me. From someone who broke their hand quite a bit as an adolescent. :up::smoke: